Sun Princess February 16 delayed boarding.

We are booked on the Sun Princess sailing February 16 on a b2b2b till March 7. We are two couples from Canada. We have been staying on the Gold Coast since February 6. We have just received notice that the February 16 sailing has a delayed boarding due to norovious and the ship is requiring a comprehensive sanitation and boarding will start at 5:30 and the terminal will be closed till 5:30 as well. My concern or problem is that we have to check out of our condo by 10:00 am and have a prearranged driver for pick up at the Gold Coast for 10:00 am to take us to the cruise terminal. I'm sure we can find something to do around Brisbane till 5:30 but what can we do with our luggage??? We do have a fair bit of luggage since we will be in Australia for 5 weeks. Will we be able to drop off our luggage at around noon once our driver drops us off from the Gold Coast. Just don't know what we can do all day with all of our luggage. Any suggests would be appreciated.

My email said guests who arrive early will be able to drop their luggage off and enjoy the surrounding area. Bit of a bummer about Norovirus, but nothing we can do about it. Watch out anyone who I see using the toilet and not washing their hands afterwards!!!!

You can luggage drop still.

'Please do not arrive at the pier prior to 5:30 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation and there will be no seating or services available. Guests who arrive at the pier early may drop off their luggage and enjoy the surrounding area. All guests must be checked in by 8:00 PM. '

Thanks the five email I received yesterday were all exactly the same not one of them said that you could drop off your luggage and enjoy the surrounding area. For locals what is there to do for the afternoon in the surrounding area? Thanks.

If you have no trouble walking I would suggest the following.

Google a map of the area around the terminal and you will find a ferry stop just a short walk from there a liitle more toward the Brisbane side.

For a small amount of money you can catch the ferry into the city and walk around South Bank or go up to Roma Street Parklands near the counrty Train Station (great gardens to walk around although they are steep in some areas) or the Botanic Gardens on the river these are fairly flat compared to Roma.

I haven't been to Brisbane in 5 years but there was a free bus that would go around the CBD and drop you off near these attractions.

I'm sure the Brisbane people will have lot more suggestions and up to date information.

Great to see the Aussies on here giving the 'dstables' the Canadians visiting some good advice. Well done.

That is what is great about Cruise Critic, interchange of information and friendly advice (mostly.)

Yes, the River Cat is the go.

Once you drop your bags, as the others have suggested you could jump on the city cat ferry and cruise down the river. Can stop at the CBD and Southbank to have a look around. I think the closest stop near portside is called Brett's Wharf. Looks like the city cats go through about every 15 minutes.

https://jp.translink.com.au/plan-your-journey/timetables/ferry/t/citycat/inbound/2017-02-16?pageDirection=After&pageTo=1200

If you don't feel like going anywhere, Portside has some nice restaurants and a cinema.

Once you drop your bags, as the others have suggested you could jump on the city cat ferry and cruise down the river. Can stop at the CBD and Southbank to have a look around. I think the closest stop near portside is called Brett's Wharf. Looks like the city cats go through about every 15 minutes.

https://jp.translink.com.au/plan-your-journey/timetables/ferry/t/citycat/inbound/2017-02-16?pageDirection=After&pageTo=1200

If you don't feel like going anywhere, Portside has some nice restaurants and a cinema.

Portside sounds good, it is unfortunate that we won't see it on QM2 on 4 March, berthing at ye olde Grain Terminal, Fishermans Island. QM2 is too big for Brisvegas Cruise Terminal.

Portside sounds good, it is unfortunate that we won't see it on QM2 on 4 March, berthing at ye olde Grain Terminal, Fishermans Island. QM2 is too big for Brisvegas Cruise Terminal.

Too big to get there as well, doesn't fit under the bridge, cannot turn around, etc, etc.:D

5.30 boarding would be far too early for this contaminated ship. This is the third such major outbreak since December 16 and still Princess can't control it. The ship is poorly maintained and an unhealthy place to be. Management ignore maintenance problems brought to them. Accidents continue to happen because of this. Suggest to find another cruise line.

While people fail to practice basic hygiene there will continue to be outbreaks. These practices impact on others, I won't even mention washing hands after toilet, think filling water bottles they have used straight from the water cooler, use a cup and transfer to your bottle, picking up food and then putting it back for some unsuspecting diner. Etc etc.

it's not the ship it's the passengers, particularly when you think of the demographics. Mainly over 60 (me too) when we grew up not being as careful as we needed to be.

5.30 boarding would be far too early for this contaminated ship. This is the third such major outbreak since December 16 and still Princess can't control it. The ship is poorly maintained and an unhealthy place to be. Management ignore maintenance problems brought to them. Accidents continue to happen because of this. Suggest to find another cruise line.

And no bridge director either :D

From other sources there are reports of noro in & around Brisbane, including a school being closed for deep cleaning. I guess if passengers keep bringing the virus on-board & less than correct personal hygiene being practiced, it may well continue. I am sure that Princess are doing their utmost to have a healthy ship - amny of them are in the same boat as the passengers :)

We had delayed boarding on a RC ship from Sydney a few years ago for deep cleaning after a noro 'outbreak' on the prior cruise.. For the first few days, staff served in the WJ and other precautions were taken, and the cruise was a healthy one.

Boarding Sun Princess in 19 days for 29N cruise (in Sydney) - can't wait!

And no bridge director either :D

From other sources there are reports of noro in & around Brisbane, including a school being closed for deep cleaning. I guess if passengers keep bringing the virus on-board & less than correct personal hygiene being practiced, it may well continue. I am sure that Princess are doing their utmost to have a healthy ship - amny of them are in the same boat as the passengers :)

We had delayed boarding on a RC ship from Sydney a few years ago for deep cleaning after a noro 'outbreak' on the prior cruise.. For the first few days, staff served in the WJ and other precautions were taken, and the cruise was a healthy one.

Boarding Sun Princess in 19 days for 29N cruise (in Sydney) - can't wait!

I suspect you are correct. We had a number of schools in Auckland with noro outbreaks in December. Didn't make the news!

P.S. we are cruising on the Sun in June. Won't be canceling.

I wish you luck Mr Walker, although if you take the necessary precautions, luck shouldn't have much to do with it.

Thanks Mic. Yes we will take precautions and plan to have a great trip - this is another of 'The List' trips, full circumnavigation of Australia & first time to PNG, albeit only for a few hours.

This one is with DW (of course), and her sister and BIL & 1st time on Princess for us.

Hope to see you on-board another one with us sooner rather than later.