Island Princess Sanctuary - disappointing

zahav1

Just came back from a 15 day Panama Canal cruise. Four of us booked the sanctuary for Panama Canal crossing day at $60 per person, just for the lounges, beverages, special menu. The sanctuary did include water, juice, baked goods, soda, glass of wine, gazpacho soup, appetizers and the special menu. The service was very disorganized, sometime a food items were passed and they missed the four of us. The biggest issue was the lack of shade and pool. The day was very sunny and hot and although we were the lucky ones with a partial shade, it was still very hot. Twice I left and went to the Lido pool to cool off. The sanctuary is in need of a small pool and more shade and of course better service.

Just came back from a 15 day Panama Canal cruise. Four of us booked the sanctuary for Panama Canal crossing day at $60 per person, just for the lounges, beverages, special menu. The sanctuary did include water, juice, baked goods, soda, glass of wine, gazpacho soup, appetizers and the special menu. The service was very disorganized, sometime a food items were passed and they missed the four of us. The biggest issue was the lack of shade and pool. The day was very sunny and hot and although we were the lucky ones with a partial shade, it was still very hot. Twice I left and went to the Lido pool to cool off. The sanctuary is in need of a small pool and more shade and of course better service.

Appreciate this helpful and interesting post. Next Tuesday, we are departing for the 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing on the Island Princess that goes through the Panama Canal. This will be our first cruise with Princess and this sailing will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central America and Mexico.

Any other key tips, super loves, warnings, etc., for any of these ports, on the ship? How was the food, crew, age/demographics, etc., of those on this sailing? Did the ship feel crowded/congested? Were there a decent number of lectures, programs, offerings, etc., during the many sea-days that this 15-day schedule involves?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 48,120 views for these postings.

I thought the island had a sanctuary pool. Did they take it out when they butchered her?
They removed it and built out the deck above to create a large Sanctuary.

I was on the Island for her 19-day cruise in November and booked the Sanctuary for the whole cruise. Including Panama Canal day. Loved it. The attendants stuck large rain umbrellas on the back of our loungers to protect us from the sun. They couldn't have been more attentive or accommodating.

Thank you! We'll be leaving SF for the 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island on Mar 15, We're pretty new to cruising (only an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity and a few short Carnival "fun cruises"). Being first time on Princess and with an Ocean View room, I was going to head straight to Sanctuary to book for the canal passing. I think I'll take a good look before deciding to do that. We probably wouldn't want to spend the whole day there anyway and it sounds like there are other spots where we can hang out to see the sights during that day.

Thank you! We'll be leaving SF for the 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island on Mar 15, We're pretty new to cruising (only an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity and a few short Carnival "fun cruises"). Being first time on Princess and with an Ocean View room, I was going to head straight to Sanctuary to book for the canal passing. I think I'll take a good look before deciding to do that. We probably wouldn't want to spend the whole day there anyway and it sounds like there are other spots where we can hang out to see the sights during that day.

Appreciate this great above summary. We are boarding the Island Princess next Tuesday afternoon and will be on "your" ship right before you board in San Francisco on March 15. We will try to "drink the ship dry" before you board!! We are also first timers for sailing with Princess after two cruises with Celebrity and six sailings on smaller, more luxury ships!! For us, it's about the locations and ports to be experienced.

Agree that the idea for doing The Sanctuary sounded good to have during the Panama Canal transit day. BUT, now am re-evaluating those assumptions. And, the costs??!! Most have told us to be "flexible" that canal transit day, move around lots and see the "action" from many different angles and vantage points.

I will be doing a live/blog starting in early March on the Princess board with lots of pictures and details for your cruise. Drop by for those postings, ask any questions, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,578 views for this posting.

Appreciate this helpful and interesting post. Next Tuesday, we are departing for the 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing on the Island Princess that goes through the Panama Canal. This will be our first cruise with Princess and this sailing will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central America and Mexico.

Any other key tips, super loves, warnings, etc., for any of these ports, on the ship? How was the food, crew, age/demographics, etc., of those on this sailing? Did the ship feel crowded/congested? Were there a decent number of lectures, programs, offerings, etc., during the many sea-days that this 15-day schedule involves?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 48,120 views for these postings.

We were at traditional dining at 7:45, that was a great time for all of us, we never had to rush or wait in line. The food was fantastic everywhere, including the Horizon buffet. We had a table of 8 and all loved the food. since this is a long cruise the general demographics is an average age of maybe 65. The ports were great, we didn't like Guatemala, but some others did, our excursion was rushed and we hated the street vendors annoying and following us. Ship was sometimes crowded at the shows, we usually went to either the 5:45 show or 9:45.

I thought the island had a sanctuary pool. Did they take it out when they butchered her?

According to those working up there, they never had a pool, they will be expanding it next November with more shade, more space.

I can guarantee they did (tho it may have been far before any of them came on board) because we swam in it often on our 2011 Panama Canal Cruise....

According to those working up there, they never had a pool, they will be expanding it next November with more shade, more space.

Being first time on Princess and with an Ocean View room, I was going to head straight to Sanctuary to book for the canal passing. I think I'll take a good look before deciding to do that. We probably wouldn't want to spend the whole day there anyway and it sounds like there are other spots where we can hang out to see the sights during that day.

The Sanctuary has a good view aft.

But to enjoy the uniqueness of the Panama Canal, you should be looking at times forward, at other times to the sides, and at other times aft.

Personally, I would not pay the special extra charge they have in the Sanctuary that day. I would rather be moving around as necessary to see what should be seen.

Of course if instead of viewing the Canal you would rather just lie on a lounger in the sun or shade that day, then the Sanctuary is a good place to do it.

The one advantage is that since capacity is limited you can ALWAYS get a good rail spot in the Sanctuary (or at least you could when it was 2 levels). I still don't think its a value add (we booked for the rest of the trip but NOT canal day)

I can see one use case. Someone who is limited mobility and/or lower endurance could really take advantage of the good viewing and the availability of food, etc...

The Sanctuary has a good view aft. But to enjoy the uniqueness of the Panama Canal, you should be looking at times forward, at other times to the sides, and at other times aft.

Personally, I would not pay the special extra charge they have in the Sanctuary that day. I would rather be moving around as necessary to see what should be seen.

Of course if instead of viewing the Canal you would rather just lie on a lounger in the sun or shade that day, then the Sanctuary is a good place to do it.

Appreciate this helpful and interesting post. Next Tuesday, we are departing for the 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing on the Island Princess that goes through the Panama Canal. This will be our first cruise with Princess and this sailing will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central America and Mexico. Any other key tips, super loves, warnings, etc., for any of these ports, on the ship? How was the food, crew, age/demographics, etc., of those on this sailing? Did the ship feel crowded/congested? Were there a decent number of lectures, programs, offerings, etc., during the many sea-days that this 15-day schedule involves?

Please don't judge Princess Cruise Line by the Island Princess. We loved Coral Princess which is what Island Princess was like before they made massive changes to add more cabins. We didn't care for Island Princess when we sailed on her. We were not at all happy with the changes.

The one advantage is that since capacity is limited you can ALWAYS get a good rail spot in the Sanctuary (or at least you could when it was 2 levels). I still don't think its a value add (we booked for the rest of the trip but NOT canal day)I can see one use case. Someone who is limited mobility and/or lower endurance could really take advantage of the good viewing and the availability of food, etc...

Yes, to move around is a good idea, but no where to see the canal from the aft due to the addition of cabins and they took away those great decks on aft that the Coral has. this was also our 3rd Panama Canal crossing, so we've seen all. Also from the Sanctuary, since it's on level 15 you can see the new canal every once in a while, by the way, we were watching ships go through the new canal from their beautiful visitor center.

Sorry they don't please check the ship's deck plans.

Would this be the one they didn't have before the refit that they weren't cleaning at the time and that we didn't swim in (even though they did, they were and we did...) Also included are a photo of the two separate levels, now gone..

Just a hint, deck plans change when they do a refit. The Island does not have a pool now, but as I said, it DID.

Panama2011Card6-X2.jpg

Panama2011Card6-3-X2.jpg

Panama2011Card6-7-X2.jpg