Just Booked my First SILVERSEAS CRUISE

Lois R

Hi Randy:)....thanks for the reply. I emailed the hotel and she replied back (more about the time of the room being ready)

but I replied back to her asking about what you just mentioned........I was wondering if the hotel has a car service they use.

A cab will work for me but I remember when I flew into Rome. The B&B I stayed with had a service they recommended

and the driver was standing in an area (with many, many other drivers:)) with a sign with my last name on it........now

maybe the Rome airport is a different set up, but it was nice having someone waiting there for me. Yes, it was extra $$$

but it was part of my trip.

Hi Randy:)....thanks for the reply. I emailed the hotel and she replied back (more about the time of the room being ready)

but I replied back to her asking about what you just mentioned........I was wondering if the hotel has a car service they use.

A cab will work for me but I remember when I flew into Rome. The B&B I stayed with had a service they recommended

and the driver was standing in an area (with many, many other drivers:)) with a sign with my last name on it........now

maybe the Rome airport is a different set up, but it was nice having someone waiting there for me. Yes, it was extra $$$

but it was part of my trip.

There is something very comforting about knowing a car service will be waiting for you when you arrive. We haven't traveled enough in Europe to say we've become familiar with a number of airports to the point where we know the layout, procedures, etc. Some like Barcelona or Venice we've only been into once so having prearranged transfer/transportation was a lot less stressful. It is our vacation and since work limits us to pretty much one a year we look for as hassle free experience as we can arrange.

Lois and Randy, I think the purpose of vacation is to have fun and relax. If paying more for a cab or a car service makes you comfortable and more relaxed, then that's exactly what you should do. No other justification is necessary.

I personally have fun researching the cheapest way to get from A to B, and making it happen is part of the fun for me. I find that public transport options are really good in Europe with few exceptions. It's a fun way to feel a little more like a local and less like a tourist.

And I get a kick out of saving a few € (which we spend on food and wine). So I share that info for those who like that sort of thing. But no worries if it's not your idea of fun.

We also rarely take anything bigger than a 22 inch rollaboard, and our carryon bag is a backpack. So even if we have to climb stairs or use a crowded Metro, no sweat. When it stops being easy and fun, we'll be in the cab next to you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you both for being kind with the responses:D...well, I got a reply from the hotel......it is more than double for a car service as opposed to a taxi. The hotel said there are taxis readily available outside the terminal for about 35 Euros.........

The private car is 70.........I know the shuttle is much cheaper but I think the compromise for me will be the taxi.:)

JP, I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on. I am the one who has to handle everything, from on line reservations to real live logisitcs.

(I love travel so that is fine). And I understand the thought process of "feeling like a local" but part of my enjoyment is having certain

things taken care of.....and having someone take me to the hotel is part of that process:).

The hotel did say that can hold my luggage if the room is not ready so glad about that answer and she said it would take about 1/2 hour

to get there. My flight is supposed to arrive about 9:30am. I don't know how long customs takes but would think I would be at the hotel

by 11:30--12.....

Edited by Lois R

We also rarely take anything bigger than a 22 inch rollaboard, and our carryon bag is a backpack. So even if we have to climb stairs or use a crowded Metro, no sweat. When it stops being easy and fun, we'll be in the cab next to you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Let's see.....two rolling 25" suitcases, two rolling garment bags, two 21" rolling carryons , one backpack, and a Vera Bradley tote. That's a pretty typical load for our cruises. The one time we were able to drive to a port it would have been easier to just put wheels on the triple dresser and tow it to the port. 😳😀 As it was I could barely see out of the back of my SUV.

Let's see.....two rolling 25" suitcases, two rolling garment bags, two 21" rolling carryons , one backpack, and a Vera Bradley tote. That's a pretty typical load for our cruises. The one time we were able to drive to a port it would have been easier to just put wheels on the triple dresser and tow it to the port. 😳😀 As it was I could barely see out of the back of my SUV.

Hello Randy. I think you must travel about as "light" as my DW and I. We always test the limits of Delta's first class and elite level allowances:'). This is also why we use a car service for airport transfers.

By the way, we are also HAL alumni. I think I remember reading your posts on the HAL boards.

Randy, JP, or whoever....:).....have a question about the staff/crew on board the ship. Since the passenger amount is so much smaller than mainstream, do the staff and crew get to know you a little bit? I am quite outgoing and enjoy meeting folks from

different backgrounds/cultures (besides other passengers;)). Just wondering about the hardworking folks on board

the ship.

Randy, JP, or whoever....:).....have a question about the staff/crew on board the ship. Since the passenger amount is so much smaller than mainstream, do the staff and crew get to know you a little bit? I am quite outgoing and enjoy meeting folks from

different backgrounds/cultures (besides other passengers;)). Just wondering about the hardworking folks on board

the ship.

We've gotten to know several of the staff during our cruises on the Wind and Spirit......paricularly the bar staff. 😳😀 I find the staff gracious and engaging and they are quick to learn your name and preferences. They can have their busy times but when the pace slows a bit we've gotten to know several well. When we tried the Spirit there actually were two or three staff who we got to know on the Wind who quickly recognized us. It's the right balance for us, a certain amount of friendly interaction coupled with super service.

We've gotten to know several of the staff during our cruises on the Wind and Spirit......paricularly the bar staff. 😳😀 I find the staff gracious and engaging and they are quick to learn your name and preferences. They can have their busy times but when the pace slows a bit we've gotten to know several well. When we tried the Spirit there actually were two or three staff who we got to know on the Wind who quickly recognized us. It's the right balance for us, a certain amount of friendly interaction coupled with super service.

Thank you...that is what I was looking for:)

Not quite sure what you are asking but the crew are delightful people just like you.

Share with them and get to know them.

I am asking if the crew/staff get to know the passengers. Seems with a smaller size vessel that it may be possible.

Randy posted the answer I was seeking.,,,,,,engaging is the word he used.

And you said they are delightful so you gave a positive response too.

Thank you both:)

It is not all up to them! They are interested in lots of things. Enjoy!

I didn't say it was all up to them:eek:....I am a very friendly, outgoing person and am interested in many things....chatting to

the folks who work on board is always something I have enjoyed.:)....and that goes beyond "thank you for the drink".

I've been fortunate enough to sail on the Shadow and the Wind.....LOVED them both. Will be sailing again

on the Wind next year in March....

Enjoy your trip from Rome to Barcelona....they're amazing places!

I've been fortunate enough to sail on the Shadow and the Wind.....LOVED them both. Will be sailing again

on the Wind next year in March....

Enjoy your trip from Rome to Barcelona....they're amazing places!

Good morning, thank you:)... it is actually Barcelona to Rome:D;)........I have been to Rome before but all the other

places are new to me. Should be very exciting!:)

Good morning, have another question, what can you tell me about "The SPIRIT"? ( I know I can read about it and see it on line), but I am referring to your cruising experiences on her:).....what is something you always look forward to when sailing her?

Lois

Take a look at all of the threads started by pax who were on the Spirit. There are many with photos and without.

I will be aboard on March 31 for the transatlantic and may post.

The Obs lounge is great. Dining outside at La Terrazza is great.

Lois

Take a look at all of the threads started by pax who were on the Spirit. There are many with photos and without.

I will be aboard on March 31 for the transatlantic and may post.

The Obs lounge is great. Dining outside at La Terrazza is great.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that. But it is still nice to read about the good things when asking........I will try

Le Terrazza for sure:)

Good morning, have another question, what can you tell me about "The SPIRIT"? ( I know I can read about it and see it on line), but I am referring to your cruising experiences on her:).....what is something you always look forward to when sailing her?

While we love the Wind, she was our first Silversea's ship, we've really enjoyed our two cruises on the Spirit. The Spirit is bigger with more passengers but we never got the feeling that it was crowded. We like the outdoor areas better than the Wind, particularly the area aft outside the Panorama Lounge. The restaurant choices are good with a couple more than the Wind. We particularly enjoyed the Stars Supper Club as a nice change from the Main Dining Room, La Terraza, and The Grill which are our standards on the Wind.

While it won't apply to you since this is your first Silversea cruise we also have enjoyed the movement of some personnel within the fleet. For instance, we cruised the Wind four times before we tried the Spirit. When we boarded the Spirit and eventually made our way to the Pool Bar and Grill we were pleasantly surprised to see and be greeted by one of our favorite wait staff from the Wind. He remembered our drinks of choice and even what we liked from the grill. When we returned to the Wind for last year's cruise we when to La Terraza for dinner that first night to be greeted by the maitre'd who had served us so well in the Stars Supper Club the cruise before in the Spirit. In all I'd say we've run into maybe a dozen or so staff/crew members who have remembered us from previous cruises on other ships in the fleet. Now that might not be surpring or unusually to many of the more experienced Silversea cruisers here but it makes us feel welcomed and comfortable. It speaks to the outstanding staff and level of service we love on Silversea.

Hi Randy, as always, your response is kind and detailed:) thanks. It sounds like when I first started cruising with

Celebrity. The older ships were smaller (which I LOVED) and it seemed every single cruise I went on I saw staff/crew

who I knew and it was always such a pleasure seeing them again. I always felt very welcomed and really like I "had come

home again". As the years have gone by, the ships have gotten larger, the staff has been cut back and I don't see nearly

as many folks anymore.

In the past I would have take 2-3 cruises with Celebrity every year.......that is no longer the case.

I am sure I will enjoy Silverseas very much:) Have you ever used the pool? Just wondering about the vibe out there.

The "vibe" question really has gotten me thinking. The vibe on Silversea is lowkey, quiet, and happy. It is sophisticated without being stuffy. The guests are generally unpretentious, and very well traveled. I have made a lot of lasting friends over many years and cruises. In general, and it is dangerous to generalize, the passengers who have traveled on large mass market ships and think that they are moving up to super fancy Silversea, can be disappointed. Silversea is NOT glitzy...and that is why a lot of us are such loyalists.

My adult children, and now my teenage grandchildren, love SS. 3 generations of "Cheerleaders". For us the vibe is just right.

Hope you have a wonderful first time experience, and that you will report back on your cruise. We all love to be taken along. Bon Voyage!

The "vibe" question really has gotten me thinking. The vibe on Silversea is lowkey, quiet, and happy. It is sophisticated without being stuffy. The guests are generally unpretentious, and very well traveled. I have made a lot of lasting friends over many years and cruises. In general, and it is dangerous to generalize, the passengers who have traveled on large mass market ships and think that they are moving up to super fancy Silversea, can be disappointed. Silversea is NOT glitzy...and that is why a lot of us are such loyalists.

My adult children, and now my teenage grandchildren, love SS. 3 generations of "Cheerleaders". For us the vibe is just right.

Hope you have a wonderful first time experience, and that you will report back on your cruise. We all love to be taken along. Bon Voyage!

HI, thank you for the lovely reply.:) I don't care about "glitz"........and I plan on having a wonderful time. I have to get

through the summer first:eek:

The vibe around the pool is usually very relaxed and quiet. You'll see small groups sitting a one of the several tables chatting or laying on one of the lounges reading and generally relaxing. Except for special occasions, usually in the late afternoon or early evening, there is no live band or loud piped in music. I also don't remember ever seeing an organized activity, at least not on our cruises, around the pool area like you might see on a larger line like Celebrity or Holland America. In the evening the pool area changes over to The Grill which provides a unique outdoor dining experience where you cook your own meal on a hot black lava rock. Hard to explain but weather permitting we do it several times a cruise.

Truth is that Med cruises are usually very port intensive and I think we've probably had no more than three or four sea days in 60+ cruise days in the Med. With a few exceptions most Med ports are gateways with more to see and visit than one can reasonably expect experience in a day, week, or more. We have jokingly talked about returning from the Med so we can get some rest. Anyhow, other than an early morning coffee or an afternoon beverage after being on shore it's not like we've had hours and hours laying around the pool but we've truly enjoyed even those limited times.