Carnival Conquest, RCI Allure of the Seas, or Regal Princess?

kasinity

Hey guys. So I will be taking my grandmother in September on one of these three ships. She has limited mobility and we will more or less be taking her around in a wheelchair. It will just be me, her and my husband (we are in our late 20's). She has never been on a cruise, but me and my husband have been on Carnival Liberty, and Carnival Miracle twice. We aren't going on trip to get wasted and dance all night, we moreso just want to relax with her and we would like there to be good entertainment available as far as shows. For my husband he just wants there to be good desserts. My grandmother spent a good part of her life studying impressionism art and it's like her favorite thing in the world, this is why I was thinking of Conquest. However, it seems Regal princess is very relaxed and elegant, and would appeal to my grandmother. I have heard the entertainment on Allure is amazing, and my grandmother loves art and musicals/shows. This is why I am torn between the 3. I have not sailed any Princess or or RCI so if anyone has any insight on these lines I might have missed please let me know. I should note, since we will be sailing hurricane season the ports aren't as important with her limited mobility (unless the ports allow wheelchair access). Flight and cost are not a large variable as much as giving my grandmother and nice time and finding the right ship for her.

I'd go with princess or NCL. Princess will have by far the best artwork and NCL will have actual broadway shows. The crowd on carnival may be a bit rowdy, and the Allure is HUGE to the point where it may be hard to get around with mobility issues.

Hi!

Let me start by saying that I think it's a wonderful idea you have to cruise with your grandmother!

I have sailed with all three lines. I can make a few generalizations based on my observations. From what I can recall of Princess (it's been almost a decade since I last cruised with them), they had good food, decent shows and very nice ships. My husband and I really liked their buffet, loved Princess Cay (which Carnival now stops at) and thought their shows were good. Service was always efficient and friendly on both cruises we did with them. Demographic wise, on our two cruises with them, we were on the younger end of the folks sailing (in our 30s at the time).

We cruised on the Oasis last year after having done a few of their older ships in the past. We couldn't quite put our finger on it but we weren't blown away by the experience. Yeah, the ship was big and had a lot of bells and whistles, but it also seemed very impersonal. We rarely saw the same people more than once and we hated their buffet (which we had loved on the Grandeur and Enchantment). But that led us to discovering the dining room for lunch and the cafe in the Central Park area, both of which were really good. We thought the food quality in the dining room and the steakhouse was excellent. The shows were also excellent, although we never got to see the Aquashow as it was pushed back and back and then finally cancelled outright for our cruise. Demographics wise, I would say RCI is like Carnival - appealing to everyone from a couple in their 20's, to a family to a couple in their 70's.

I won't bother commenting on Carnival as you have enough of your own experience to draw from, but we are currently booked on the Vista for next March so that says a lot.

Hope this helps and you get some comments from people who have sailed those particular ships who can give you some feedback on ship-specific decor, shows and ease of mobility.

Happy cruising!

I have cruised all 3 lines. We have been on the Regal... Absolutely lovely ship! There are many great things about the Regal. The food was outstanding! the entertainment was very good. RCI... The smaller ships are more intimate Allure is HUGE. Since your grandmother is in a wheel chair, I can't imagine going on that big of ship. I love impressionist art, so Conquest is a ship I wanted to learn more about. that is why your thread got my eye. My last cruise on Carnival I felt the food was good, but I thought Regal had better food. I also thought the entertainment on Regal was better for my DH & I (We are 50 & 51) Out of your choices I honestly would look at doing 1) Regal 2) Conquest. 3) No RCI I'd drop Allure out since It's too big...

Whatever you chose I bet it will be great because you get to spend time with your grandmother & husband too! Have fun choosing!

Gabrielle

I too think Regal Princess.Take a look at the international Cafe on the Regal .It's a 24 hour coffee shop with fresh desserts and sandwiches.If you or spouse likes coffee you can also get the coffee card.Not sure if you guys will do main dining room for dinners but we did not and the buffet was great,maybe the best at sea

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I too think Regal Princess.Take a look at the international Cafe on the Regal .It's a 24 hour coffee shop with fresh desserts and sandwiches.If you or spouse likes coffee you can also get the coffee card.Not sure if you guys will do main dining room for dinners but we did not and the buffet was great,maybe the best at sea

Have your husband take a peek :)

I'd go with princess or NCL. Princess will have by far the best artwork and NCL will have actual broadway shows. The crowd on carnival may be a bit rowdy, and the Allure is HUGE to the point where it may be hard to get around with mobility issues.

I've been on the Conquest twice. I've never seen or experienced a rowdy crowd.

We were on the Conquest the last 2 years. I would not want to take someone in a wheelchair on it. You have to go up and down the elevator to get from one end of the ship to the other on the main deck. My dad who was 85, who can walk with a walker had lots of "fun" getting on and off the elevator to go up and down 1 floor.

• 3 weeks later...

What a sweet thought to take your Grandmom! I've been on the Allure. Fabulous ship! But if I had to push someone in a wheel chair, NO WAY! Also watch your time of year traveling with her. A ship full of kids on spring break will be difficult to get around. I've done with my Mom in a wheelchair. Big mistake. Sounds by the previous posts, Princess is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been on Oasis twice. Love the ship and are planning a third trip next year. Nothing like a Boardwalk Balcony. But I wouldn't want to push a wheelchair around her all day. It's a BIG SHIP. Shows are great, but the ship is very spread out. We are going on Conquest in 60 days, so I was reading the responses you got. Never been on Princess. So my only opinion is a no to Allure. But your are a very special granddaughter. Have a great cruise.

We were on the Conquest the last 2 years. I would not want to take someone in a wheelchair on it. You have to go up and down the elevator to get from one end of the ship to the other on the main deck. My dad who was 85, who can walk with a walker had lots of "fun" getting on and off the elevator to go up and down 1 floor.

My aunt just got off of the Regal this week and had the same issue: from their stateroom it was the most convenient to go down or up via elevator 1 floor to get to other areas, and no steps! She said that the crew said they were working on steps in that area. Besides that she seemed to love the ship.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Princess. Allure is incredible but it's a LOT to do in a week; subsequent trips are more relaxing. The Princess ships are gorgeous, food is significantly better than RCI too. For a refined experience Princess is a good bet.

Minor note: Embarkation in Port Everglades for Princess is "meh" at best; like too many people stuffed into a Greyhound terminal. Allure they have down to a science; so fast, clean, easy.