First Time Cruise....Copenhagen questions....

Shrewsbury on Tour

Hello to all,

Hoping there are some wonderful folks out there who can help with some questions I have.

We are sailing with N.C.L on the 14/08/2017 from Copenhagen for our first cruise around the Baltic.

We are arriving at Copenhagen a few days before, to enjoy the city. Was going to stay at the Hilton at the airport, but are open to any other recommendations???

Or any tips for Copenhagen, where to visit etc, was going to Tivoli, Carlsberg museum, Nyhavn in the evening...

The questions I have,

On the Monday, what is the best way to get from airport to the cruise terminal?? And returning 10 days later...

I think that the terminal is Oceankaj, but not 100% certain??

What time of day to make this journey, or do I get told nearer the time by NCL what time to arrive etc...

Hope anyone can shine any light on the above...

Thanks in advance....

Shrewsbury on Tour

Welcome to cruise critic! The Baltics is one of our favorite cruises and in preparation I spent lots of time reading and asking questions on the Northern Europe and Baltic Sea Board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192. One dedicated local (Danish Viking) answers Copenhagen specific questions on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327188 plus there are plenty of other threads dedicated to Copenhagen specific questions.

No way would we stay all the way out at the airport...except for perhaps a pre-flight evening. With a few days, you should find a hotel in the city (there are several decent neighborhoods). Personally, we like to be within a few minutes walk of Tivoli, but there are other areas just as convenient to all things tourist. As to going back to the airport after your cruise, it is a pretty long ride (40+ min in the morning traffic is normal). Most cruise ships offer reasonably priced shuttle bus service, and although we tend to avoid anything sold by cruise lines...on HAL we found the transfer bus service a good deal and very convenient. Taxis are also fine, but will cost you more money..

Not sure we understand the airport to cruise terminal question...since you will be in town for a few days prior to the cruise. If you follow our advice and stay at a centrally located hotel you might want to consider just taking the train from the airport into town and then either walking or taking a taxi to your hotel (the choice would depend on your hotel location).

Hank

Said best by Hlitner...DON'T stay way out South by the Airport. Find something close to Main Train Station and Tivoli Amusement Park as a general guide. Cruise Terminal is then North of City Centre...well past 'Little Mermaid' statue and streets for strolling. Let the Cruise Line haul you to Airport once the Cruise is over.

Go to Ports of Call section of this Web-site for good info. and the WhatsInPort Web-site. LocoLoco1

No way would we stay all the way out at the airport...except for perhaps a pre-flight evening. With a few days, you should find a hotel in the city (there are several decent neighborhoods). Personally, we like to be within a few minutes walk of Tivoli, but there are other areas just as convenient to all things tourist. As to going back to the airport after your cruise, it is a pretty long ride (40+ min in the morning traffic is normal). Most cruise ships offer reasonably priced shuttle bus service, and although we tend to avoid anything sold by cruise lines...on HAL we found the transfer bus service a good deal and very convenient. Taxis are also fine, but will cost you more money..

Not sure we understand the airport to cruise terminal question...since you will be in town for a few days prior to the cruise. If you follow our advice and stay at a centrally located hotel you might want to consider just taking the train from the airport into town and then either walking or taking a taxi to your hotel (the choice would depend on your hotel location).

Hank

Hi Hank,

Firstly, thanks for comprehensive reply.. the main reason was because the Hilton, is rated highly, and price is ok. It's only 12mins into the centre of town. I've struggled to find anything at a similar price point with same quality.

I'm unsure on the day of departure, do we have time to go out for a few hours, or have to check in early, hope that makes sense...

Cheers

Said best by Hlitner...DON'T stay way out South by the Airport. Find something close to Main Train Station and Tivoli Amusement Park as a general guide. Cruise Terminal is then North of City Centre...well past 'Little Mermaid' statue and streets for strolling. Let the Cruise Line haul you to Airport once the Cruise is over.

Go to Ports of Call section of this Web-site for good info. and the WhatsInPort Web-site. LocoLoco1

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I found that the Hilton appears to offer value for money and quality, I struggled to find anything in central Copenhagen. Thanks for other advice, will look into that now.

Thanks

We really enjoyed staying at the Hilton prior to and after our Baltic cruise last year. The rooms were great as was the AC. We had no problems getting on the train and being downtown in about 10 minutes. It was extremely easy. If you can get a good deal there, stay and take the train.

We really enjoyed staying at the Hilton prior to and after our Baltic cruise last year. The rooms were great as was the AC. We had no problems getting on the train and being downtown in about 10 minutes. It was extremely easy. If you can get a good deal there, stay and take the train.

We agree that its difficult to impossible to find a reasonably priced high quality hotel near the center of the city. We faced the same situation last August and decided to compromise on the hotel in order to gain location. No regrets as we were able to walk from our hotel to restaurants, shopping, etc. The train ride in from the airport area is fine....but DW and I preferred the convenience of being able to walk "home" after dinner or a few drinks. But it is always a balance between budget, quality, and convenience. We face this issue in nearly every European city (we do a lot of travel within Europe) and usually opt for location.

Hank

Depending on the time of your return flight home, you might check out a ship tour-and-transfer where they give you a tour bfore heading to the airport. Our flight was at 2:30, so it worked perfectly and was a nice ending to our time in Copenhagen (having stayed a few days before the cruise). Best part was that it was a convenient and cost-effective way to get to the airport.

I stayed at the airport Hilton at the end of a transatlantic a few years ago. I was very pleased. There is a package you can upgrade to which includes breakfast, drinks, wifi on a separate floor, which saved lots of money. Copenhagen is very, very expensive, especially food. Most expensive place I have ever been. Getting to city center is easy by train. I took the cruise line transfer which dropped off right next to the hotel and I would expect that the cruise line will have transfer available on the day of cruise. I recommend your decision.

I'm unsure on the day of departure, do we have time to go out for a few hours, or have to check in early, hope that makes sense... Cheers

So long as you are aboard at least two hours before departure you are fine.

I would not stay at the airport lots of better options in the city centre

I so agreee. Copenhagen is a wonderful, small, friendly, safe city and a shame to not enjhoy lovely dinners, walk on stroget, ...... I wouldn't dream of staying at the airport. We always took taxi from airport to our city hotels.

Hi,

Thanks for reply...I've struggled to find anything with the same quality as the Hilton, at that price point.

Thanks

it may be convenience over price point

If you do not mind taking the train to the city centre & back then stay at the Hilton