Special needs care in children's program

sixfish

Has anyone had any experience with having their special needs child participate in the children's program? Our daughter has autism and will be joining us on Jewel 3/12/17. She is not high needs, but is non-verbal and we were hoping to do an excursion in one port and have her stay onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She is 24 yrs old and no longer a child. Why would you think they would allow her to stay with children?

Insurance liability is all I have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

To the OP - I wish you the best in finding a resource for your vacation. As a caregiver for the last 24 years - you deserve a chance to experience the fun of an excursion or a night out! It must sound so expensive to add another person to your cruise - maybe an inside room booked for the caregiver and your daughter (you daughter can then sleep with you if you want) - there are many posts on the family boards about creating an agreement with a "nanny" that might apply to your needs. I am sorry that the children's program won't work for you but sincerely hope you can find a way to rest and relax. Safe journeys to you and your family.

OP, do you seriously think that a CHILD care center is going to take an ADULT?

By your reasoning, they should also take everyone's 95yo demented grandparent, and that's just not going to happen, sorry.

You need to either leave your daughter (who, while she will always be YOUR child, is not, actually, a child anymore by any means) at home, or you need to bring along someone who can provide for her care in your absence.

I'm actually planning on doing something similar for one of my patients. I'm a private duty nurse, and I have a client who wants to cruise. They'll pay for my airfare and stateroom, and I'll care for the client's needs on vacation. Maybe you can find someone to go along with you in this capacity in exchange for you covering their costs?

Lol that was my first thought. Yes, we can bring grandpa on a cruise now, even though he's 76 and has Alzheimers, he's verbal (sometimes very...), and he's more like a 10 year old. We can just ask for a sitter.

Perhaps one of the staff from the Autisim at sea program could sit with her in your cabin as a sitter. No gurantee until you get on board and ask. You'd still have to pay but someone from that program would have had training in dealing with the issues of Autisim. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

OP would need to be sailing on an Autism at Sea cruise which I do not believe to be the case here.

Next month I will be doing my 2nd cruise with Autism on the Seas. My son is

23, has Autism and is nonverbal.

I would highly recommend that you look at their website. The first cruise we were with

AOTS was June 2016. We had a wonderful time. We booked a second one within a

week of returning home.