Local tax on UBP in port

Maplemoose

I have read many times that while the Breakway is in NY, one must pay local taxes on all drinks, even if free. However, nobody has mentioned how much this would set you back. Are we talking 50 cents here or $5 a drink. I won't be waiting till we sail away but just curious!

The combined tax rate for Manhattan is 8.875%.

That =state, county and city sales tax.

New York state sales tax is currently 4%.

So, if they charge the combined sales tax, 90 cents per 10.00 drink. If only the state sales tax, 40 cents per 10.00 drink.

However, nobody has mentioned how much this would set you back

While many people have provided the answer in this thread..... a simple search would've provided the same information as a gazillion people have mentioned exactly how much the tax is.

Not being critical to the OP but just educating about the search feature because they mentioned no one had mentioned the rate before.

You also pay tax on drinks in international waters?
No, spidybabe was responding to rwilk1129's question "Do the taxes stop as soon as you leave port or when you reach international waters?" The taxes stop when you reach international waters.

This isn't true for some European itineraries, where VAT is collected on all purchases during the entire cruise, even when the ship is in international waters. In the past, NCL has charged VAT on UBP orders, but they now seem to be saying that that was a mistake and it should not happen on European cruises. In fact the last response I received from them about this said that they should not have collected tax on UBP orders in Florida, either, so I am still not sure what their story is (and what the actual legal rules are)?

While many people have provided the answer in this thread..... a simple search would've provided the same information as a gazillion people have mentioned exactly how much the tax is.

Not being critical to the OP but just educating about the search feature because they mentioned no one had mentioned the rate before.

Sometimes the search is difficult. We don't mind answering the OP's question.

Sometimes the search is difficult. We don't mind answering the OP's question.

I agree that people come to get answers and we don't mind answering the questions....... educating people about the search function will enable them to get much more info in the future.......

With all due respect ...... the search feature is not difficult at all

No, spidybabe was responding to rwilk1129's question "Do the taxes stop as soon as you leave port or when you reach international waters?" The taxes stop when you reach international waters.

This isn't true for some European itineraries, where VAT is collected on all purchases during the entire cruise, even when the ship is in international waters. In the past, NCL has charged VAT on UBP orders, but they now seem to be saying that that was a mistake and it should not happen on European cruises. In fact the last response I received from them about this said that they should not have collected tax on UBP orders in Florida, either, so I am still not sure what their story is (and what the actual legal rules are)?

Thank you for the clarification.

I just returned from a cruise on the Epic. One of our stops was the Private Island. Well, they are charging tax on drinks you purchase on the Island.

But be careful. I was traveling with a friend who does not drink alcohol. Well went to the beach bar. Got a Virgin Daquri, 2 sodas and a regular Pina Colada. That was it. Had all of our cards showing Beverage package (which virgin drink is covered on) and soda package.

Well, customer service desk produced a receipt on my card for our drinks on the Island. It showed the "taxes" for 8 coronas, 4 miami vice, 2 mojitos and 4 sodas. So basically everyone around me that ordered drinks at that beach bar had all their drinks on my single card. I wasn't charged for the drinks, but I had a charge for around $14. Now if it had been what we ordered only, I would not have complained. But I was not paying the taxes for every drink ordered in the same few minutes we ordered ours.

So, just beware and look and questions your bill. Check it periodically through out the cruise.