Emerald Princess or Norwegian Pearl? Please Help

olesh

Princess Emerald--it's a nice ship and Princess is a very good cruise line.

I'd choose Princess over NCL anytime, but especially in Alaska as I don't think NCL has a permit for Glacier Bay and Princess does.

Princess Emerald--it's a nice ship and Princess is a very good cruise line.

I'd choose Princess over NCL anytime, but especially in Alaska as I don't think NCL has a permit for Glacier Bay and Princess does.

The NCL Pearl and NCL Sun have Glacier Bay Permits.

First time on an Alaskan cruise I’d have to go with NCL Pearl because it goes to Glacier Bay. The Emerald Princess goes to Tracy Arm this year. If you wanted to go to Glacier Bay with Princess you’d have to go on the Ruby Princess this year. We alternate, one year Glacier Bay and the next year Tracy Arm.

If you want feedback you need to provide more info.

Most important are tinerary specifics .....port with arrival and departure times.

I know that Emerald dont go to Glacier, but if bout of the ships have the same itinerary

Emerald

DatePortArriveDepartSunday, July 9

Seattle, WA4:00pmMonday, July 10At SeaTuesday, July 11Ketchikan, AK6:30am3:00pmWednesday, July 12Tracy Arm (Twin Sawyer Glaciers), AK (Cruising)Wednesday, July 12Juneau, AK12:30pm10:00pmThursday, July 13Skagway, AK6:00am5:00pmFriday, July 14At SeaSaturday, July 15Victoria, BC, Canada7:00pm11:59pmSunday, July 16Seattle, WA7:00am

20073_160713142554360.jpg

Pearl

Sunday, July 9

Seattle, WA4:00pmMonday, July 10At SeaTuesday, July 11Juneau, AK2:00pm10:00pmWednesday, July 12Skagway, AK7:00am8:00pmThursday, July 13Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising)Friday, July 14Ketchikan, AK6:00am1:30pmSaturday, July 15Victoria, BC, Canada6:00pm11:59pmSunday, July 16Seattle, WA8:00am

27413_161005152039200.gif

I know that Emerald dont go to Glacier, but if bout of the ships have the same itinerary

Emerald

DatePortArriveDepartSunday, July 9

Seattle, WA4:00pmMonday, July 10At SeaTuesday, July 11Ketchikan, AK6:30am3:00pmWednesday, July 12Tracy Arm (Twin Sawyer Glaciers), AK (Cruising)Wednesday, July 12Juneau, AK12:30pm10:00pmThursday, July 13Skagway, AK6:00am5:00pmFriday, July 14At SeaSaturday, July 15Victoria, BC, Canada7:00pm11:59pmSunday, July 16Seattle, WA7:00am

20073_160713142554360.jpg

Pearl

Sunday, July 9

Seattle, WA4:00pmMonday, July 10At SeaTuesday, July 11Juneau, AK2:00pm10:00pmWednesday, July 12Skagway, AK7:00am8:00pmThursday, July 13Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising)Friday, July 14Ketchikan, AK6:00am1:30pmSaturday, July 15Victoria, BC, Canada6:00pm11:59pmSunday, July 16Seattle, WA8:00am

27413_161005152039200.gif

In early July it can still be iffy on getting into Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay is significantly less likely to be skipped. I would take the Pearl and it's Glacier Bay itinerary.

If one ship goes to Glacier Bay and the other doesn't, they do not have the same itinerary.

Personally, I considered Glacier Bay a must, so I ruled out any cruise that didn't include it. But only you can decide what is on your "must include" list.

Without having the specifics (Does one go to Glacier Bay while the other does not as one example.) out of just those 2, I would choose Princess especially since you mentioned price.

All of the trip reports, etc. that I have read on NCL, they talk about needing to eat in restaurants that have an additional charge associated with them. NCL even sells specialty dining packages - knowing that their customers will be paying to eat.

So your price comparison is moot.

If one ship goes to Glacier Bay and the other doesn't, they do not have the same itinerary.

The times in port are significant enough that I'd say they aren't the "same itinerary". Consider what you want to do in each port and whether you will have time to do it.

Without having the specifics (Does one go to Glacier Bay while the other does not as one example.) out of just those 2, I would choose Princess especially since you mentioned price.

All of the trip reports, etc. that I have read on NCL, they talk about needing to eat in restaurants that have an additional charge associated with them. NCL even sells specialty dining packages - knowing that their customers will be paying to eat.

This claim is so old. NCL sells dining packages hoping people will want to eat in different types of restaurants. Not everyone likes to eat in rooms large enough to hold conventions. All cruise lines have alternative restaurants, even Princess, and all of the Pearl's included restaurants give you great choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The port times were in post 8 for both cruises.

The times in port are significant enough that I'd say they aren't the "same itinerary". Consider what you want to do in each port and whether you will have time to do it.

Agreed! ie Glacier Bay is a huge plus, but 6am - 1:30pm in ketchikan is very weak. Realistically what will you do witn 4-5 hrs? So you need to look at planned activities and determine priorities ...... are you willing to give up GB for your Ketchikan plans? Or vice versa?

First time on an Alaskan cruise I’d have to go with NCL Pearl because it goes to Glacier Bay. The Emerald Princess goes to Tracy Arm this year. If you wanted to go to Glacier Bay with Princess you’d have to go on the Ruby Princess this year. We alternate, one year Glacier Bay and the next year Tracy Arm.

Not quite true. We are on the Emerald in May and it is going to Glacier Bay. Might just be that one itinerary but the Emerald does visit Glacier Bay.

Paul

I would take Princess over NCL any day and I've cruised both. Atmosphere is completely different. The food is very mediocre and way too salty on NCL. That being said Glacier Bay is wonderful. I would look into the Haven if you choose NCL. It's a special experience .

We're headed on Alaskan cruise and land tour on May 27. Our itinerary (on the Coral) departs on June 3 includes Glacier Bay. Main reason for choosing this ship (for 2nd time).