Hotel name Viking uses in Bergen

jiminyC_fan

We are spending a week in Norway touring on our own precruise. We will be staying at the Havnekontoret right across the street from the Radisson Blu in Bergen. Is it walkable to the ship on embarkation day or should we plan on taking a cab? It looks pretty close on the map and we will just have 1 suitcase each. I'm sure we could walk without the luggage but wasn't sure if it would work with them.

We are spending a week in Norway touring on our own precruise. We will be staying at the Havnekontoret right across the street from the Radisson Blu in Bergen. Is it walkable to the ship on embarkation day or should we plan on taking a cab? It looks pretty close on the map and we will just have 1 suitcase each. I'm sure we could walk without the luggage but wasn't sure if it would work with them.

I just did a Google map search and it looks like it's about 600m from the Radisson Blu to the Viking terminal. The question then is the state of the sidewalks/pedestrian walkways which I think was pretty good. Have attached what I got but would recommend using Google map satellite view to zoom in to inspect the route. Also - suggest you contact the hotel directly via email and ask. We found folks there to be very friendly and helpful. I would be very surprised if they would not be delighted to respond to a question from a future guest.

Rats! Tried to upload the screen shot and cc forum app wouldn't take it. Says it can't scale it to fit some set of arbitrary limits on image uploads. Sigh. So..if you want to duplicate what I did, get a walking route from your hotel to the Viking terminal which is at Skoltegrunnskaien 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just did a Google map search and it looks like it's about 600m from the Radisson Blu to the Viking terminal. The question then is the state of the sidewalks/pedestrian walkways which I think was pretty good. Have attached what I got but would recommend using Google map satellite view to zoom in to inspect the route. Also - suggest you contact the hotel directly via email and ask. We found folks there to be very friendly and helpful. I would be very surprised if they would not be delighted to respond to a question from a future guest.

We were there this past summer and walked from the ship, past the Radisson Blu to the Bryggen a couple of times during our stay. If I remember correctly, the sidewalks were quite manageable but as Bergen is the rainiest city in Norway, the weather may be more a problem than the state of the sidewalks. Radisson Blu to the ship is about 10 minutes, even dragging a suitcase. IMHO, walk on the water side of the street and cut through the parking to make the trip a little shorter; the terminal will be at the far end of the parking lot.

We walked from the ship to our hotel in Bergen with a rolling suitcase and had no trouble navigating. Side closest to water is fairly smooth. I can only say about the weather for our trip and we never saw rain in our 4 days in Bergen. Judging from posts here, we led a charmed life!

We walked from the ship to our hotel in Bergen with a rolling suitcase and had no trouble navigating. Side closest to water is fairly smooth. I can only say about the weather for our trip and we never saw rain in our 4 days in Bergen. Judging from posts here, we led a charmed life!

You lucked out. The stats we were told say that it rains sometime during the day two days out of three and it rained both days we were there. (But not complaining because the rest of cruise, it was sunshine and warmth.)

You lucked out. The stats we were told say that it rains sometime during the day two days out of three and it rained both days we were there. (But not complaining because the rest of cruise, it was sunshine and warmth.)

We had one good day out of 2.25. Day we arrived in Bergen from Oslo, there was a little rain in the evening. The next day was perfect - all day. Got some good sunset shots from our verandah. The next official cruise day in Bergen was so so - some overcast, some rain, sorta bleah. Pulling out that evening was definitely a more typical Bergen day - overcast, kinda foggy, general bleah.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just read that it rains on average 300 days per year. Dauntless, I hope your good luck rubs off on us!

We were very lucky with the whole cruise. It was Sept 4-17. The average temp for the previous 2 years was around 59 F. with 20% chance of rain. Our lowest temp was 62 F and the highest was 85 F. We had some spitting type rain in the morning on our first day in SP. I brought 2 sweaters and a fleece sweatshirt that I never had on. I took a water resistant windbreaker and layering( T shirts, long sleeve henleys, flannel shirts and long sleeve sport shirts in mixable colors and was fine.

We were very lucky with the whole cruise. It was Sept 4-17. The average temp for the previous 2 years was around 59 F. with 20% chance of rain. Our lowest temp was 62 F and the highest was 85 F. We had some spitting type rain in the morning on our first day in SP. I brought 2 sweaters and a fleece sweatshirt that I never had on. I took a water resistant windbreaker and layering( T shirts, long sleeve henleys, flannel shirts and long sleeve sport shirts in mixable colors and was fine.

Actually your temps sound pretty close to what we are expecting with the exception of 85F. Nice!