Question about specialty steakhouse on Carnival

mlmalone3

Did you happen to see what was on the kids menu?

If it's not a kids thing then why have a kids menu? Confused.

Just looking for an answer to my original question.

Thanks though.

They have things like chicken fingers Mac &Cheese etc.

The main reasons it's not a kids thing is it's a 2 + hour experience and most kids get antsy sitting that long

They have things like chicken fingers Mac &Cheese etc.

The main reasons it's not a kids thing is it's a 2 + hour experience and most kids get antsy sitting that long

Thanks for the answer to my question.

Chicken Fingers and Mac & Cheese we can get from the MDR.

We will stick to ordering off the adult menu.

The Steakhouse children's menu is $10 (11 years old and under)

Starters

• Mac ‘n Cheese – cherry tomato, chervil
  • Shrimp Cocktail – cocktail sauce, lemon

Entrées

• Beef Sliders – parmesan fries, ketchup
  • 4 oz Filet Mignon – mashed potato, broccoli, cherry tomato, green peas
  • Fish ‘n Chips – batter fried, veggies, tartar sauce
  • Chicken Fingers – crumbled fried, veggies, ketchup

Dessert

• Banana Split – vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, cream
  • Chocolate & Nutella Pizza – white chocolate, raspberry, vanilla ice cream

:)

You think paying for an up charge specialty restaurant is a rip off but you are ok with paying for free food?

I think what is throwing you off is the word "free", it should have been "included". The point of the PP is that you have already paid for a meal with your cruise, this plus the upcharge for the premium restaurant makes the actual price paid significantly higher than $35 per person.

The Steakhouse children's menu is $10 (11 years old and under)

Starters

• Mac ‘n Cheese – cherry tomato, chervil
  • Shrimp Cocktail – cocktail sauce, lemon

Entrées

• Beef Sliders – parmesan fries, ketchup
  • 4 oz Filet Mignon – mashed potato, broccoli, cherry tomato, green peas
  • Fish ‘n Chips – batter fried, veggies, tartar sauce
  • Chicken Fingers – crumbled fried, veggies, ketchup

Dessert

• Banana Split – vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, cream
  • Chocolate & Nutella Pizza – white chocolate, raspberry, vanilla ice cream

:)

I appreciate your help and time!

I think what is throwing you off is the word "free", it should have been "included". The point of the PP is that you have already paid for a meal with your cruise, this plus the upcharge for the premium restaurant makes the actual price paid significantly higher than $35 per person.

I can't agree with your cost of $70 nor of how you are accounting for it. (BTW as I posted even at twice the cost it is less than many top notch steakhouses)

If you do not eat at all you have already paid whatever the cost is for the meal in the MDR. There is no refund, no discount if you do not eat there. So you then have a choice, pay $35 more and have one of the best meals you can have for a very affordable price or eat at the MDR and pay no more. Are you saying you never miss a meal at the MDR to try something different? Even without the steakhouse we often take at least one night and try somewhere else even if it has an upcharge. Everyone has their own ideas on traveling of course, it just seems a loss not to spend a little more once or twice for a meal to get as many of the benefits of the cruise.

Carnival isn't even saying the meal costs $35 - they and we are saying you pay $35 more. Including whatever the actual value of the MDR meal is that and the $35 is an excellent value.

You don't have to agree with me, but I didn't say it cost $70.

I see that now it was another poster. So I guess I would change my reply to not a significant difference of the $35 with the rest of my post. As I said everyone has their way of traveling and not eating what is included to pay more for something else isn't for everyone. It depends on your outlook and what you think the value is of the meal that is included to what you will get and enjoy for the upcharge.

When we stay at a hotel that includes breakfast we may or may not eat there but I don't see it as we paid for something we are not using, it's a choice to perhaps have maybe a better breakfast a restaurant we really like.

I see that now it was another poster. So I guess I would change my reply to not a significant difference of the $35 with the rest of my post. As I said everyone has their way of traveling and not eating what is included to pay more for something else isn't for everyone. It depends on your outlook and what you think the value is of the meal that is included to what you will get and enjoy for the upcharge.

The included meal certainly has some value, whether that is equal to what you have paid for it is something else. Unfortunately there is no way I am aware of to determine what portion of your cruise fare goes to your meal. However the fact that it is difficult to determine does not mean that it isn't there or that the food is free. No one is likely to "skip" the meal entirely so the upcharge is that, an upcharge on top of whatever was originally paid. If you determine what that price was then you'll know how much that meal actually costs. I for one have very little interest in spending an extra $105 for dinner. If I want to class up my meal I'll probably skip the MDR burlesque show and go to the buffet.

Does anyone know how the first night wine works if you have Cheers? I know "better" wine is 50% off just because it is first night. But then how does Cheers work?

I haven't read anywhere that it affects it, the first night wine discount is more than the Cheers wine bottle discount. I doubt they will let you combine them.

I can't agree with your cost of $70 nor of how you are accounting for it. (BTW as I posted even at twice the cost it is less than many top notch steakhouses)

If you do not eat at all you have already paid whatever the cost is for the meal in the MDR. There is no refund, no discount if you do not eat there. So you then have a choice, pay $35 more and have one of the best meals you can have for a very affordable price or eat at the MDR and pay no more. Are you saying you never miss a meal at the MDR to try something different? Even without the steakhouse we often take at least one night and try somewhere else even if it has an upcharge. Everyone has their own ideas on traveling of course, it just seems a loss not to spend a little more once or twice for a meal to get as many of the benefits of the cruise.

Carnival isn't even saying the meal costs $35 - they and we are saying you pay $35 more. Including whatever the actual value of the MDR meal is that and the $35 is an excellent value.

You don't have to agree with me, but I didn't say it cost $70.

Here is what I would do. I will eat extra everyday, more then $35 worth(make sure I am $35 ahead of the game). This way when I go to the steak house I can justify the cost:D. With all that said, I have never tried a Carnival steak house, but we have tried on other cruise lines. My DW and I love them you get GREAT service all the time, now on our last cruise on Princess the food was not worth extra cost:(. However the waiter was awesome for example; my DW wanted what she calls 'browned butter' for her lobster (no matter where we go nobody knows what browned butter is?) The chef on Princess said "What is browned butter?". The waiter however knew what it was and he made it personally, my DW did say it was a little more burned then browned, but it was the fact that he tried (he's not even the chef). If fact our waiter was so good we tipped him $20 and as for ordering food we got what ever we asked for even 4ths if we wanted it. My DW said the lobster was not the good ones (in fact they were small) she got 8 of them...LoL:o. Will never do Princess's Crown Grill ever again. However RCCL their steak house 'Chops' was absolutely the best steak house we had ever been too. NCL steak house I believe its called 'Cagney's' it to was awesome too much food then you can eat that is for sure, in fact this place was the first time I had Crème Brûlée this is like the best stuff on plant earth. We will be doing the Carnival steak house for sure on our next cruise.

My husband and I have always dined in the main dining room when cruising. We enjoy meeting new folks and visiting during dinner. Is the Steakhouse a set price?, or just like any restaurant...prices on the menu? Plus I've read where you can order the steak in the main dining room and pay extra? We are sailing on a the Valor for a 4 day trip and were considering treating ourselves to the steakhouse.

Definitely go to the steak house!!! We never miss it...you are on vacation treat yourself!!!! Totally worth the extra charge...we ate in the one on the Breeze last week ...it never disappoints :-)!!!

Maybe our previous experience with NCL has got us wary!

With NCL we were able to go to 2 large elegant restaurants, every night, for a 3 course meal, with waiter service - all inclusive!

For my wife's special 50th birthday, we paid $20 for the speciality restaurant - and as I said previously, we walked out part way through, because the meal was very poor, compared with what we had been having the previous nights in the 'included' restaurants!

Coming from Oz, with a crappy exchange rate, 70 bucks converts to almost 100 bucks.

I would rather save that money for a meal at some of the other places we are heading to on this holiday.

BTW, the MDR cant be all that bad can it, which makes you want to pay $70 for something else?

Nope, not thrown off at all. The poster said free, so that's what I replied to. I would never "pay" for "free" food.

Maybe our previous experience with NCL has got us wary!

With NCL we were able to go to 2 large elegant restaurants, every night, for a 3 course meal, with waiter service - all inclusive!

For my wife's special 50th birthday, we paid $20 for the speciality restaurant - and as I said previously, we walked out part way through, because the meal was very poor, compared with what we had been having the previous nights in the 'included' restaurants!

Coming from Oz, with a crappy exchange rate, 70 bucks converts to almost 100 bucks.

I would rather save that money for a meal at some of the other places we are heading to on this holiday.

BTW, the MDR cant be all that bad can it, which makes you want to pay $70 for something else?

Its not about the MDR being bad, it about being on vacation and treating you and love one to a special meal. We do, however we only do it once a cruise. We also like meeting new people in the MDR, so we try and look ahead on the menus and pick a bad night food wise (in our honest opinion), and book the steak house that night.

We ate at all the specialty restaurants on The BACK Dawn and Jewel. If your talking about their steakhouse, I totally agree. It was the worst of all the specialty restaurants. But the Steakhouse on Carnival is completely different. I can't wait to eat there for our anniversary in May.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

We ate at all the specialty restaurants on The BACK Dawn and Jewel. If your talking about their steakhouse, I totally agree. It was the worst of all the specialty restaurants. But the Steakhouse on Carnival is completely different. I can't wait to eat there for our anniversary in May.

Umm that was the Norwegian not The Back.... Damn auto correct.

We received our confirmed reservation email from Carnival. We are excited to give it a try.

You will love it, the food quality in the steakhouse is amazing. For $35pp you get to pick appetizer, salad, entree, side dishes, and dessert. Yes in the past they have told me that i can substitute and extra app for the salad. Truly it is alot of food, when it comes to dessert I force to take one bite. LOL I have tried the upcharge at the MDR for steakhouse selection. what a BIG disappointment nothing like the steakhouse. will never do that again.

Edited by lele100