Question about specialty steakhouse on Carnival

mlmalone3

My husband and I have always dined in the main dining room when cruising. We enjoy meeting new folks and visiting during dinner. Is the Steakhouse a set price?, or just like any restaurant...prices on the menu? Plus I've read where you can order the steak in the main dining room and pay extra? We are sailing on a the Valor for a 4 day trip and were considering treating ourselves to the steakhouse.

Go on the first night and you get a free bottle of wine or any bottle for 50% of the regular cost. We have done this several times and did not always care for the free bottle, so on our last cruise we enjoyed a bottle we would not normally have purchased because of the cost. Try it once and you'll likely go back. The menu has been the same for many years and we still enjoy going to the steakhouse at least once during the cruise.

My husband and I ate at the steakhouse on the magic last week. We loved it. It is 35$ pp, and yes you can pay extra in the dining room for steak but the steakhouse also has appetizers, deserts, etc that are only available there. The first night you get a free bottle of wine or 1/2 off a bottle. We did it without the free bottle and it was definitely worth it. Where else can you get a 9 oz filet and 4 courses for 35?!?

One thing I was unaware of (love my fellow C peeps for all their wisdom!) is that you can order as many appetizers in the steakhouse as you want... I thought it was 1 salad, 1 app, etc... but apparently you can order any combo thereof, in any quantity, without issue. I'm not sure if I'll be able to take advantage of this because the portions of everything are pretty large, but I remember wishing I could get the soup AND an appetizer instead of a salad, not realizing I could!

You're only allowed 1 entree. Not sure about dessert.

One thing I was unaware of (love my fellow C peeps for all their wisdom!) is that you can order as many appetizers in the steakhouse as you want... I thought it was 1 salad, 1 app, etc... but apparently you can order any combo thereof, in any quantity, without issue. I'm not sure if I'll be able to take advantage of this because the portions of everything are pretty large, but I remember wishing I could get the soup AND an appetizer instead of a salad, not realizing I could!

Shaded Lady, I want to thank you for my chuckle of the day! More than one dessert after all of the other courses? If one has the capacity to consume another one, if it is possible to do so, you have more tummy room than I do!

One of the best restaurant values there is. The meal would cost at the minimum twice the cost of $35 at a good steakhouse restaurant and honestly could cost three times or more as it would at Bern's in Tampa. And yes their food is in the ballpark of those expensive, and excellent restaurants. Fantastic service and attitude all four times we have dined there on three different ships.

Apparently on some ships you can order multiple appetizers but in our experience you can only if you do not get the salad course.

My ONLY complaint about the Steakhouse was that the steak was so absolutely wonderful, that I hated all of the meats we got the rest of the week in the MDR. :-( Be sure to go in there extremely hungry, because the steaks are huge, and we've always been allowed to order as much of everything else. Our waiters usually recommend getting the dessert to go, because you will be absolutely stuffed by then and don't want to miss getting a wonderful dessert.

I must say, that on the Breeze last week the filet mignon was absolutely divine in the MDR. We opted to skip the Steakhouse because I didn't want it to ruin my taste for the rest of the week of normal foods!

If you are forfeiting an 'all you can eat meal' somewhere else on the ship, probably with a value of $35, the $35 charge for the Steakhouse is really making the cost of the meal $70 per person!

I think it is a bit of a rip off, considering you have already paid for free food during the cruise.

On NCL we paid $20 per person for a speciality restaurant and it turned out to be one of the worst restaurant meals we have ever had!

We walked out part way through and got a full refund!

My recommendation is go the first night for the free wine or buy the meat in the MDR for a slight upcharge. While the steak was top notch on our last Pride cruise, the customer service, overall wait times to receive drinks/meals, and quality of all non-entree items were sad. Wife and I agreed we would much rather be in the MDR where service was better and friendlier, and enjoy the better cuts of meat for a charge. Just My humble

Opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you are forfeiting an 'all you can eat meal' somewhere else on the ship, probably with a value of $35, the $35 charge for the Steakhouse is really making the cost of the meal $70 per person!

I think it is a bit of a rip off, considering you have already paid for free food during the cruise.

On NCL we paid $20 per person for a speciality restaurant and it turned out to be one of the worst restaurant meals we have ever had!

We walked out part way through and got a full refund!

You think paying for an up charge specialty restaurant is a rip off but you are ok with paying for free food?

Not appreciably different than our Crown Grill experience on Princess. We all agreed we liked Carnival's Steakhouse better. The lamb is always excellent. Last time on the Miracle DH got the fish, cooked perfectly.

Apparently on some ships you can order multiple appetizers but in our experience you can only if you do not get the salad course.

This has been our experience. I have never tried to order more than two appetizers but I was told I could get two if I forewent the salad. Good thing my wife isn't into much of the appetizer menu though because we had 4 between us, which allowed us to try almost everything! Tuna TarTar and Lobster Bisque are my absolute favorite!

Alright....you guys convinced me!! It's 10:15AM on the Monday of my Spring Break and I'm craving steak...lol! I'll try to reserve a spot on the first night ...my hubby will enjoy the wine deal. Thanks for all the replies!

Thank you all for this post. I have been hesitant to book this mainly because I have already paid for my vacation, but decided to give the steakhouse a go on my upcoming cruise in May. I do think it sucks that many of the cruise lines are going to specialty restaurants where you have to pay extra. This will be a special treat for my sweetie who is having back issues.

it's really not a kid's thing, although they do have a kids menu. In the last 4 times we have been to the Steakhouse, I don't think I saw or heard one kid.

Did you happen to see what was on the kids menu?

If it's not a kids thing then why have a kids menu? Confused.

Just looking for an answer to my original question.

Thanks though.

We visit the steak house on every cruise we take now. The food is always excellent, the staff is great and I have never left still hungry. The MDR food is good but it's nothing like the steak house in my opinion, it's the difference in cooking for a smaller audience than cooking to feed 2000+ people in a short time.

I think they have some of the best French Onion soup I've had anywhere including making my own. I have eaten at Bern's as another in this thread has mentioned and while I must say Bern's in and of itself is as much about the experience as it is the food, the food in the Steakhouse is fairly close in the taste and quality (I give Bern's the nod as they in house age their beef and it's very good).