New Princess livery ugly?

Ian Kennedy

I guess opinions are divided. Personally I hate it, and I can't see a difference between this and NCL's horrid boats, reducing the number of colours does nothing to improve things. The worst thing about it is the assumption that people are too stupid to know who's ship is who's without some logo on the boat.

It's like TV channels. Once upon a time you would watch television. Now you have to watch television and a distracting logo that sits in the corner and keeps attracting your attention. I know that the US has had this for a long time, but, it only came to the UK about 10 years ago. It's just another example of branding overload.

As someone said at least you don't see it when you're on board, but, you do when you get on and off almost every day.

It's working… The entire idea behind marketing and painting The bow of the ship is to create brand awareness and discussion. They have achieve their goal! Like it or not, it is working…

For me in a bad way. It makes me want to switch to a brand that has more class. One that doesn't suffer from logoitis.

LOL.....Carnival does not put logos on it's hauls like Princess or Norwegian....get over yourself....Princess is very common and more a middle class cruise line......like many others (including Carnival)....it is for the mass market not the super yatch crowd.....

Best....answer....ever. :')

Realistically, and speaking of the mass market cruise lines, each cruise line is just "different" from the other. Each cruise line has different decor (translates to "theme"; even upscale Cunard has a "theme"), markets (the reason for their theme) toward a particular demographic, and attempts to compete for business by staying contemporary. Each brand also wants to be easily identified, even by other passengers on a different ship while docked in port ("Hey, look at THAT ship!").

Die hard fans from any cruise line will always tell you theirs is the best, above the rest. It's all a matter of taste. Personal opinion. And opinions are a dime a dozen. Princess Cruises is no more "above" any cruise line in the "mass market" group than the others. And if you truly think it is you've been kidding yourself. Princess Cruises is just a really nice cruise line with beautiful ships.

Princess Cruises took that next major step and painted their brand logo on the bow. It's bold, it's not that over the top, and it's identifiable. And if you don't like it, well, tough cookies, you have no choice other than to close you eyes when you look at the ship or pick a different cruise line.

And if you're going to let something like this make you "jump ship" and switch to a brand that has (really?) "more class" (there's always that chance you'll run into someone with no class on a mass market ship so maybe you should be sailing Crystal) go ahead, you'll just be replaced the next time Princess Cruises has a sale, which is about six times a year.

Personally, I like it.

:cool:

How friendly.

It wasn't meant to be friendly, it was meant to be 100% honest.

The bow art of a ship is literally ZERO percent of your cruise experience: the waitstaff serving your meals; the food in ALL of those wonderful, various dining areas; the shows and entertainers in the different entertainment venues; the ambience of the public rooms while you sip your favorite drink and listen to a quartet, read a book, or listen to the ocean; your fellow cruise passengers; the weather during your cruise; the ports of call and the locals you run into; the Cruise Director, Maitre D, Guest Services, Shore Excursion Desk, and other crew members you run across every day; the comfort of your cabin accommodations; and the various services and amenities aboard the ship combined are what make up the cruise experience. If someone is affected by the bow art that much, so much that the rest of ALL of the other stuff doesn't matter, then there are issues at hand other than the bow art.

Princess Cruises does a fine job. That is what keeps people coming back again and again and again.

Do you find the new Princess Cruises livery ugly. It's so tacky. Such an awful way to ruin a formerly beautiful ship.

650-3e151fc86e1af0908533b04f9b5a7778.jpg

I don't care for it either. It makes the ship look really tacky.

I have no idea what it costs to paint the hull of a cruise ship, but, assuming it would take thousands of gallons, I would rather see the money going toward improving the passenger experience onboard the ship.

It wasn't meant to be friendly, it was meant to be 100% honest.

The bow art of a ship is literally ZERO percent of your cruise experience: the waitstaff serving your meals; the food in ALL of those wonderful, various dining areas; the shows and entertainers in the different entertainment venues; the ambience of the public rooms while you sip your favorite drink and listen to a quartet, read a book, or listen to the ocean; your fellow cruise passengers; the weather during your cruise; the ports of call and the locals you run into; the Cruise Director, Maitre D, Guest Services, Shore Excursion Desk, and other crew members you run across every day; the comfort of your cabin accommodations; and the various services and amenities aboard the ship combined are what make up the cruise experience. If someone is affected by the bow art that much, so much that the rest of ALL of the other stuff doesn't matter, then there are issues at hand other than the bow art.

Princess Cruises does a fine job. That is what keeps people coming back again and again and again.

Are you suggesting you know more about what's important to me than I do?

Are you suggesting you know more about what's important to me than I do?

Certainly bow art is the greatest part of a cruise experience for you than everything else I mentioned, so important that it makes you want to abandon Princess Cruises for a cruise line with "more class". But for most everyone else who cruises, despite the fact that they may or may not like the sea witch on the bow, none of them have said that they'd be willing to jump ship because of it. So for them, the shipboard cruise experience is by far more important than bow art. For you, obviously, it is not.

Certainly bow art is the greatest part of a cruise experience for you than everything else I mentioned, so important that it makes you want to abandon Princess Cruises for a cruise line with "more class". But for most everyone else who cruises, despite the fact that they may or may not like the sea witch on the bow, none of them have said that they'd be willing to jump ship because of it. So for them, the shipboard cruise experience is by far more important than bow art. For you, obviously, it is not.

Once again, stop telling me what I think. You are not qualified to do so. I didn't ask for a debate on what you, or I, find most important on a cruise and I have no intention of joining with with such a topic, it's all a matter of personal taste and so helps no-one.

I only asked if people liked or disliked the new livery. I'm interested to seeing the differing opinions. Nobody is wrong in their opinion, unless they're are trying to tell others what their opinion is.

Once again, stop telling me what I think. You are not qualified to do so. I didn't ask for a debate on what you, or I, find most important on a cruise and I have no intention of joining with with such a topic, it's all a matter of personal taste and so helps no-one.

I only asked if people liked or disliked it. I'm interested to seeing the differing opinions. Nobody is wrong in their opinion, unless they're are trying to tell others what their opinion is.

I'm not telling you what to think. I'm quoting you back your own words. You even intimated the same of NCL's ships, calling them horrid simply because of their bow art:

"Personally I hate it, and I can't see a difference between this and NCL's horrid boats, reducing the number of colours does nothing to improve things".

Your words. You obviously hate bow art. Why did you even start this thread if you hate bow art in the first place?

It's still possible to make a mistake, even with this design. I've been in quite a few ports where more than one Princess ship was in port at the same time.

Once we were in Halifax and the Ruby and Grand were both in at the same time. We we're on Grand. It didn't help that our Cruise Director had just transferred over from Ruby the week we started and every evening would make the mistake of calling us Ruby at least once.

Yes you are. Please stop.

I'll stop. But your last post was an unfair quote of a portion of what I said using your own words.

I said...

"Certainly bow art is the greatest part of a cruise experience for you than everything else I mentioned, so important that it makes you want to abandon Princess Cruises for a cruise line with "more class"....

Because you said...

"For me in a bad way. It makes me want to switch to a brand that has more class. One that doesn't suffer from logoitis."

I agree that everyone has different taste in things. Like Tattoos. Love them or hate them . This is one of those love it or hate it things. Some don't care on way or the other. That is cool.

When I see Norwegian ships in port, I am glad that isn't my ship! Probably one of the reasons I have sailed on almost all cruise lines except Norwegian.

As much as I love cruising. Sometimes the marketing gets way too much.

What is next? Ships will be named after sponsors like football stadiums. "Amazon Princess",

Caesar's Palace Princess?

I was one of the people that got the survey. I indicated that I liked the classic design rather than any of the splashy new logo choices.

IIRC, there was a question asked if I "had to choose a new design" which one would it be. This was my choice, as I had to choose one. Still seems a bit "in your face" but I think it will grow on me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums