Booking MSC - agent or direct?

seapad

If you're okay with using Amazon, Uber, Priceline and TripAdvisor and can do your own research and booking for flights and hotels, then I suggest NOT using a TA. Planning and executing that plan is part of the travel adventure.

I've come across TA's that are so clueless they can't find half the islands in the Caribbean on a map!

1) Please stop naming TAs - it is against board rules and you've done it twice in these threads.

2) many (most?) folks use TAs to get better deals, not necessarily for their supposed expertise.

1) Please stop naming TAs - it is against board rules and you've done it twice in these threads.

2) many (most?) folks use TAs to get better deals, not necessarily for their supposed expertise.

Completely agree with point number two. Rather than a specific referral use a multiple agent site where TA's "compete" for your "cruise" business.

So have you ever booked by yourself and then called a travel agent? I see many saying they can still take on your reservation and get you a better deal. I guess I can call and see for our upcoming March Seaside cruise with a few of the bigger ones out there on YouTube and just find out. But wondering if anyone has experience doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So have you ever booked by yourself and then called a travel agent? I see many saying they can still take on your reservation and get you a better deal. I guess I can call and see for our upcoming March Seaside cruise with a few of the bigger ones out there on YouTube and just find out. But wondering if anyone has experience doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done this before. It is a small hassle and then you lose control of your booking. When booking a balcony room on a regular line the OBC hasn't really been worth it. For a premium line, NCL Haven or Yachtclub the OBC offered above what direct booking gives you starts to become worthwhile.

Thanks. I may do some research today then as we've booked a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite on Seaside in March. I thought the price I got for four people was very good as I booked it at the end of last year. But I'd love to see if I could improve the offer as they say. Still, I like to be in control of my own booking. Will just see what they say.

I've booked direct twice. However, I only use their website to pick a cabin, not to book. I call and talk to a PCC to book. The only thing a TA usually does in addition to MSC is OBC.

"The Only thing is OBC?" Yes that would be correct and that On Board Credit (OBC) and be hundreds of dollars (or more on very long cruises) which you get by simply shopping around among some decent cruise agencies. On an upcoming 21 day MSC we were able to get an extra $700 in OBC plus pre-paid gratuities or over $1000 in benefits for simply doing a half hour of shopping. ! Now perhaps $1000 is meaningless to you...but to us its real money :). And most of it is even refundable (cash in our pocket) if we do not use it aboard the cruise.

Hank

Thanks. I may do some research today then as we've booked a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite on Seaside in March. I thought the price I got for four people was very good as I booked it at the end of last year. But I'd love to see if I could improve the offer as they say. Still, I like to be in control of my own booking. Will just see what they say.

On MSC a reservation can only be transferred within 60 days of creation, and it must be outside of final payment period and not paid in full...Just keep that in mind if you decide to go down the road of transferring.

Ah, moot point then as we booked some time ago. No YC Deluxe Suites left on our cruise and I was happy with the price I paid. We were so enamored with our recent 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Vista, I half considered switching to Horizon from Seaside instead. Just for a day or two before I got excited about trying Seaside again. But anyway, the 8 night Easter Caribbean on Horizon for a standard balcony cabin for four people was the same price (almost to the dollar) as our YC room on Seaside for 7 nights. And that's not including the $900 plus you'd spend for Cheers (beverage package) as we would likely do. So I feel like we got a great price and will just be happy with that. Perhaps the OBC the next time around. Unless I could somehow cancel and rebook with the agent. But I don't want to take chances on missing that YC room.

Ah, moot point then as we booked some time ago. No YC Deluxe Suites left on our cruise and I was happy with the price I paid. We were so enamored with our recent 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Vista, I half considered switching to Horizon from Seaside instead. Just for a day or two before I got excited about trying Seaside again. But anyway, the 8 night Easter Caribbean on Horizon for a standard balcony cabin for four people was the same price (almost to the dollar) as our YC room on Seaside for 7 nights. And that's not including the $900 plus you'd spend for Cheers (beverage package) as we would likely do. So I feel like we got a great price and will just be happy with that. Perhaps the OBC the next time around. Unless I could somehow cancel and rebook with the agent. But I don't want to take chances on missing that YC room.

You might still have another option which is to simply "transfer" your booking to a cruise agent/agency. I believe MSC allows this as long as you do it within 60 days after booking, you are still outside the final payment period, and have yet to pay in full for the cruise. If you meed these criteria you should be able to shop around among a few decent high volume cruise agencies, tell them you have the booking, and ask what they can do for you if you were to transfer the booking. If you booked more then 60 days ago....just live and learn :).

Hank

lauren2306 - I use what jacksonx uses in two posts before yours for all of my cruises, MSC or other lines, to find the best deal.

Same here.

Saved us $800 on our upcoming Med. Cruise in YC.

Later he was able to move our cabin when I saw one open up that I like better, and add Cirque promo to our cruise.