Embarkation

bibliosandy

Island Princess March 30 from Ft. Lauderdale, I'm on Fiesta Deck and I think check in is at 1:30, can we check in earlier so we can get lunch in the MDR, I'm not an Elite or Platinum member, just an ordinary person. Any suggestions?

Check-in times are suggestions only; on my cruise in December, we had that notice, too, but nobody questioned what deck we were on -- we all just lined up and checked in in order we were in line, and boarding started with all Elites as usual, not Elites only on Deck whatever.

Generally, absent any unusual delays, boarding starts between 11.30 and 12noon, and it goes pretty quickly once it begins, especially on a "smaller" (relatively speaking!) ship like the Island. When I sailed on the Coral, your ship's twin sister, I was in the first Platinum group to head out and as I was crossing toward the door, I heard them calling for "regular people" Group 1. Getting to the port by 11 should see you aboard well in time to have lunch in the main dining room.

Island Princess March 30 from Ft. Lauderdale, I'm on Fiesta Deck and I think check in is at 1:30, can we check in earlier so we can get lunch in the MDR, I'm not an Elite or Platinum member, just an ordinary person. Any suggestions?

You can check in early so you will be with the early group of non-priority boarding passengers.

Enforcement of a priority boarding is next to impossible & would only cause worse problems trying to enforce it. Arriving at the terminal mid morning is your best bet. Arriving later around early afternoon makes for easier boarding but that's usually for people who can't stand lines. ;)

Enforcement of a priority boarding is next to impossible & would only cause worse problems trying to enforce it.

Carnival found a way to implement it and enforce it. They tested it last year in Galveston, but I do not know if they considered it a success.

On their version of the Personalizer you had to pick (in half-hour increments) what time you wanted to board. All those on the same reservation had the identical selected time.

At the port they checked your boarding pass. If it was not yet your selected time, you could not enter the building to check in.

We arrived about 25 minutes into our selected half hour and walked past hundreds of passengers in line with the next half hour on their passes. Of course they had all arrived there before we had.

Exceptions are made for those who arrive on cruise line buses from the airport. They do not have to wait until a selected time.

Carnival found a way to implement it and enforce it. They tested it last year in Galveston, but I do not know if they considered it a success.

On their version of the Personalizer you had to pick (in half-hour increments) what time you wanted to board. All those on the same reservation had the identical selected time.

At the port they checked your boarding pass. If it was not yet your selected time, you could not enter the building to check in.

We arrived about 25 minutes into our selected half hour and walked past hundreds of passengers in line with the next half hour on their passes. Of course they had all arrived there before we had.

Exceptions are made for those who arrive on cruise line buses from the airport. They do not have to wait until a selected time.

Enforcing priority boarding like that only adds to the congestion at the terminal and doesn't do much to alleviate any backup which obviously was their intent.

I wonder how successful it was.

Enforcement of a priority boarding is next to impossible & would only cause worse problems trying to enforce it. Arriving at the terminal mid morning is your best bet. Arriving later around early afternoon makes for easier boarding but that's usually for people who can't stand lines. ;)

Disney does it and are pretty good at it. You simply get turned away when attempting to board before your pre-scheduled time.

Disney does it and are pretty good at it. You simply get turned away when attempting to board before your pre-scheduled time.

I'm not saying that Princess couldn't begin this process but didn't it create more congestion at the terminal? People arriving early & clogging up the lines while others trying to maneuver past them.

It seems more efficient to just let people line up & board as they arrive rather than hold them back according to a schedule.

I'm not saying that Princess couldn't begin this process but didn't it create more congestion at the terminal? People arriving early & clogging up the lines while others trying to maneuver past them.

It seems more efficient to just let people line up & board as they arrive rather than hold them back according to a schedule.

Carnival has implemented it on most (if not all) of their ships. But you get to choose your time. Of course the earlier you book the better chance of getting your preferred check in time. Also you can purchase faster to the fun and check in whenever your choose and Platinum and above get priority check so they can also disregard their assigned check in times. People don't like not being able to check in when they want to but if they don't want to wait in a line outside they learn not to show up at the port until their assigned check in time.

I'm hoping Princess doesn't start enforcing check in times because traveling from London to Southampton and having a 3 pm check in time doesn't leave much room for error (traffic etc.).

Carnival has implemented it on most (if not all) of their ships. But you get to choose your time. Of course the earlier you book the better chance of getting your preferred check in time. Also you can purchase faster to the fun and check in whenever your choose and Platinum and above get priority check so they can also disregard their assigned check in times. People don't like not being able to check in when they want to but if they don't want to wait in a line outside they learn not to show up at the port until their assigned check in time.

I'm hoping Princess doesn't start enforcing check in times because traveling from London to Southampton and having a 3 pm check in time doesn't leave much room for error (traffic etc.).

Do they provide earlier check in for their preferred customers?

We have sailed Disney 12 times in the last 5 years and have never once been turned away when arriving before the time they assign. They simply hand you a boarding card with a number when checking in. You may still get a higher number and board closer to your assigned time if a lot of people arrive before you but we have always had a smooth boarding. We tend to arrive between 10:30am-11am and always on the ship between 11:30 to 12:00.

Do they provide earlier check in for their preferred customers?

On Carnival Platinum and above can arrive at the port for check in at whatever time they want to. I believe the same is true for suite passengers.

On Carnival Platinum and above can arrive at the port for check in at whatever time they want to. I believe the same is true for suite passengers.

It does sound like they value their dedicated customers.

If Princess goes in that direction we can only hope they'll follow their lead.