room service tip question

alicat2016

Thank you every one I do appreciate all the perspectives. I am very sorry the way I wrote the post caused confusion. I didnt mean to start an argument.

I have a budget to stick to and because my currency and the port currency is not dollars I need to make sure to get enough exchanged before we leave.

I simply meant that if its standard to tip $2 dollars for something I don't want to $5+ each time because I like many I am sure dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on a holiday. That said I do NOT want to under tip. I appreciate the hard work when it I could easily walk to the coffee shop or buffet to get my own drink/food, I'm happy to pay for this service but I am a planner and like to know what to expect ahead of time.

In the UK people are paid a set wage for their services and it is only usual to tip if you get a service greater than expected. As someone rightly pointed out I wont be in my country hence why I need to ask these things!

I have never been on a cruise nor have I been to America so I am not accustomed to what tipping etiquette is, surely it is better to ask, plan ahead and learn of other culture than it is to expect others to bend to my ways?

I am on a 10 day cruise so I can pack $50 for room service tips should I wish to use it, thats no problem whatsoever but if I didn't ask then I wouldnt have know.

Again Im very sorry to have offended or annoyed people.

I don't think you offended or annoyed anyone. Tipping threads tend to get a bit heated after a while. Good for you for coming here when you had an honest question. Please don't let this deter you from asking any other questions you may have. Particularly since it's your first cruise. Maybe ask any other questions in a different thread.

Have a wonderful first cruise!

OP.... don't let the Snarkies cause you any concern about your fellow passengers. 99.9% of the people I have met in 20 years of sailing Celebrity have been lovely. Unfortunately there are a number of forum participants who immediately latch onto the most negative interpretation of a reasonable question or comment. Ignore them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP.... don't let the Snarkies cause you any concern about your fellow passengers. 99.9% of the people I have met in 20 years of sailing Celebrity have been lovely. Unfortunately there are a number of forum participants who immediately latch onto the most negative interpretation of a reasonable question or comment. Ignore them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish I had done that too (ignored them). Good advice.

I am also grateful to the original poster who clarified his/her original post:).

Posted the other day on an X related Facebook page

2e45daf4095437c80a86326a3bbbbbb7.jpg

Amazing how when they divide up a daily charge of no more than $17, the total of the parts is $21.09.

A better trick than any the magician in the showroom has.

That sounds very pleasant. I think I'm going to do this on our upcoming cruise at least once. Do you get a little pot of coffee, or is it just one cup?

I have always received a pot of coffee, enough in it for 4-5 cups, maybe more.

I generally just order for myself, but they occasionally put 2 coffee cups on the tray along with the pot. So of my husband comes back to the room while I'm still on the balcony with my breakfast, he will occasionally drink some as well. Now on the rare occasion that he agrees to have breakfast on the balcony with me, and I order for two of us, we still only receive one pot.

Thank you every one I do appreciate all the perspectives. I am very sorry the way I wrote the post caused confusion. I didnt mean to start an argument.

I have a budget to stick to and because my currency and the port currency is not dollars I need to make sure to get enough exchanged before we leave.

I simply meant that if its standard to tip $2 dollars for something I don't want to $5+ each time because I like many I am sure dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on a holiday. That said I do NOT want to under tip. I appreciate the hard work when it I could easily walk to the coffee shop or buffet to get my own drink/food, I'm happy to pay for this service but I am a planner and like to know what to expect ahead of time.

In the UK people are paid a set wage for their services and it is only usual to tip if you get a service greater than expected. As someone rightly pointed out I wont be in my country hence why I need to ask these things!

I have never been on a cruise nor have I been to America so I am not accustomed to what tipping etiquette is, surely it is better to ask, plan ahead and learn of other culture than it is to expect others to bend to my ways?

I am on a 10 day cruise so I can pack $50 for room service tips should I wish to use it, thats no problem whatsoever but if I didn't ask then I wouldnt have know.

Again Im very sorry to have offended or annoyed people.

I've been reading your thread and you were clear about your question, and I didn't find anything upsetting or annoying about your question. Just to let you know, certain topics can be touchy and elicit strong opinions, for instance tipping (as you have found out), and another is dress code. After reading many of those threads on CC, I've come to the conclusion those are touchy subjects to talk about. BTW we generally tip anywhere from $2 (coffee and pastries) to $5 (full lunch or dinner.) But you know your own budget, I'm sure you will tip accordingly if you choose to do so. And if you do choose to tip, have the money ready as they are usually in and out of your cabin in a flash, they don't hang around waiting for the tip. Cheers!

Edited by galensgrl
add info

The other thing that's nice about morning room service is that it also serves as a wake-up call. Some lines will phone you to tell you your server is on the way. Gives you a few minutes to get up and comb your hair and wash your face and get the tip money out of the safe!!

Even if they don't phone ahead the knocking on the door will get you up. I usually ask for a wake-up call but I also like the fact that room service is Plan B. When you fill in your order and leaves it on your door before a certain time you indicate what time you would like your order. I have yet to have an order arrive late.

Wendy

I have not seen anything that says this fee is split with room service personnel.

I expect it is 100% to RCI.

Actually I received notice about the new $7.95 Room Service charge from RCI today with the ship rollout dates and it states that the fee includes gratuity.