room service tip question

alicat2016

Yes, room service tipping isn't included in the DSC so I usually tip. Keep in mind that if you have a beverage plan it doesn't include beverages delivered by room service. We don't order room service often; find it's more convenient to zip up to the buffet than to order and sit around waiting 30-40 minutes for it. Usually do $1-$2 a plate (so $2-$4 if ordering breakfast for 2 people... unless you are in a suite. In that case I believe your butler will deliver it in which case you can just include it in whatever you give him at the end of the trip. No, in my experience they don't hang around as if expecting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you tip everytime? food or drink? if so how much is about right? is it expected ie do the people hang around in anticipation? sorry for such a noob question, never been in this situation before. Thank you!

We usually tip a couple of dollars if we are just ordering coffee & pastries. For full breakfast, we tip $5. It's all up to you.

They are in and out, so if you are going to tip, have it ready when they arrive. They won't be standing around with their hand out like a bellman in a hotel.

P.S. We've found that when we tip for room service, the word travels. It seems to come quickly. Not sure if there is any correlation. :rolleyes:

They won't be standing around with their hand out like a bellman in a hotel.

I know its really stereotypical but that's the only thing I knew about tipping before this trip from the movies :o. Its not a very English thing to do. I don't want to not tip because obviously they all work really hard for not a lot (and Im being lazy not walking down to the copious free food) but at the same time Im on a budget so can't afford to tip above and beyond. I'm thankful for forums where I can ask dumb questions. Thank you again!!

I know its really stereotypical but that's the only thing I knew about tipping before this trip from the movies :o. Its not a very English thing to do. I don't want to not tip because obviously they all work really hard for not a lot (and Im being lazy not walking down to the copious free food) but at the same time Im on a budget so can't afford to tip above and beyond. I'm thankful for forums where I can ask dumb questions. Thank you again!!

If you can't afford to tip for room service, then maybe you shouldn't order it.

A tip of some kind is pretty much expected for their service to you.

One of my favorite things on any cruise is ordering a small room service breakfast (coffee, juice, a croissant, fruit) to enjoy on our balcony. Best way to start my day. I like to fill out one of the breakfast cards to hang on the outside of the door, and choose the time frame to have it delivered. I generally tip $2 if it's just myself having breakfast, more if my husband decides to forego the buffet and eat on the balcony with me. I always have the money laid out on the vanity so I can quickly grab it and give it to the person who delivered the tray, after signing for it.

....One of my favorite things on any cruise is ordering a small room service breakfast (coffee, juice, a croissant, fruit) to enjoy on our balcony. Best way to start my day. I like to fill out one of the breakfast cards to hang on the outside of the door, and choose the time frame to have it delivered. I generally tip $2 if it's just myself having breakfast, more if my husband decides to forego the buffet and eat on the balcony with me. I always have the money laid out on the vanity so I can quickly grab it and give it to the person who delivered the tray, after signing for it.

That sounds very pleasant. I think I'm going to do this on our upcoming cruise at least once. Do you get a little pot of coffee, or is it just one cup?

Tip according to how much you order....coffee (you get a pot) and danish, $1-2 A full meal for 2, $5 is fine.

Have the money ready, because they are very busy and won't hang around while you search for your cash!

Why do people not read the posts? The OP said he could not afford the tips and was going to get his coffee at cafe al bacio.

Perhaps you should take your own advice. :rolleyes:

The OP said no such thing. She plainly said the reverse:

by above and beyond i meant above what is normal not that I couldnt afford it at all ;)

Perhaps you should take your own advice. :rolleyes:

The OP said no such thing. She plainly said the reverse:

Try again.

Coming from the UK we don't have dollars. Would the staff be happy with pounds sterling, euros or the currencies local to a specific cruise?

We always tip in $US for Caribbean cruises, since that is the currency used by the crew when they go ashore. We use € for European cruises.

Coming from the UK we don't have dollars. Would the staff be happy with pounds sterling, euros or the currencies local to a specific cruise?

If the cruise leaves out of the US, I'd stop at an ATM on the way to the port and get some USD. Guest services can break the bills for you. But that's both for tipping and in port. All Caribbean ports will generally accept USD; so no need to get local currencies everywhere.

If cruise is in Europe then I think whatever currency you have will be fine.

We are going to Asia so will have Hong Kong & Taiwan dollars and Japanese yen. I think we may have a few US dollars left over from an Alaskan cruise so will take them along too. First time in a Concierge cabin so we are looking forward to trying the expanded breakfast menu.

If the cruise leaves out of the US, I'd stop at an ATM on the way to the port and get some USD. Guest services can break the bills for you. But that's both for tipping and in port. All Caribbean ports will generally accept USD; so no need to get local currencies everywhere.

If cruise is in Europe then I think whatever currency you have will be fine.

Quite. They will be happy with whatever you give them. If it's a European cruise they can use Euros in ports. If it's ex-Southampton they can use GBP on switch over day if they go on shore. If they are given USD then they can use them when they buy things on the ship.

I read it that the OP is not willing to pay any tips.

Yes, and here it is the double reasoning. The usual "it's not normal in our country" (you aren't IN your country) and "I can't afford it."

Then a) Don't cruise, or

b) Don't order room service, or

c) Sail a line that gratuities are included in your cruise fare. Celebrity does not apply.

Yes, and here it is the double reasoning. The usual "it's not normal in our country" (you aren't IN your country) and "I can't afford it."

Then a) Don't cruise, or

b) Don't order room service, or

c) Sail a line that gratuities are included in your cruise fare. Celebrity does not apply.

Totally agree....but the OP STATED he was going to the Cafe!!!!

I read it that the OP is not willing to pay any tips.

Other posters have tried to explain it but some of you just want to read something that is not in the original post and the others that the OP posted.

THEY DON'T WANT TO TIP ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!! That does not mean they don't tip!! Very clear to most of us but not for a few others.

Move on people!

Other posters have tried to explain it but some of you just want to read something that is not in the original post and the others that the OP posted.

THEY DON'T WANT TO TIP ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!! That does not mean they don't tip!! Very clear to most of us but not for a few others.

Move on people!

Ok...you win. Wish the OP would come back and clarify. I read this whole thread that he does not want to waste any money tipping. I don't believe I am the ONLY one that is reading it that way.

See the underlined parts above - pretty clear to most of us that they will tip (just not more than necessary).

Move on people!

Tipping for room service is NOT ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!

It is customary and expected.