Steakhouse Dilemma

I've had gastric bypass surgery. My doctor gave me a card that allows me to order off the kids menu at restaurants because I can't eat an Adult full meal. My group is interested in dinning at the Steakhouse restaurant on our up coming first cruise, but I hate to spend the money when I can't eat the meal! Does anyone know if Carnival will honor the doctors card for the kids menu? Or perhaps would they allow me just to join the group without eating? Or should I just join the group following the meal?

You can sit in the steakhouse without ordering a meal. My daughter won't eat 99% of the things on their menu, but she sat through our meal with us. They didn't ask any questions. She ordered a soda and ate the bread, but didn't eat any of the food from the menu. They also gave her the chef's creation to try (which she also didn't eat). This was on Breeze. Not sure how others handle it, but they were very nice about it.

I've had gastric bypass surgery. My doctor gave me a card that allows me to order off the kids menu at restaurants because I can't eat an Adult full meal. My group is interested in dinning at the Steakhouse restaurant on our up coming first cruise, but I hate to spend the money when I can't eat the meal! Does anyone know if Carnival will honor the doctors card for the kids menu? Or perhaps would they allow me just to join the group without eating? Or should I just join the group following the meal?

I too am a gastric bypass patient and went to the steakhouse 9 months after surgery. I chose the lobster tail and concentrated only on that. Unfortunately for my husband, I have no trouble eating lobster and ate most of it. Just eat a few bites of the appetizer and you should be fine. Good luck!!!

P.S. I have a card too but it won't do any good on the ship. The staff won't understand what it means.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You didn't say how far post surgery you are but I went at to the steakhouse first time at 10 months post op.

As you know or will soon realize the kids menu options is a joke. At most restaurants it consists of all things fried or processed. Big no no for GB patient.

You have made a change in your lifestyle and will have to learn to adapt to your surrounding. I understand your thought process. I face the same challenges when dining out. And when the family want to do an all inclusive resort, I can't really drink so I feel like I don't get my money's worth. But I have since come to understand that it isn't about how much you eat or drink or even the money but rather time spent with those you love.

Go, participate and enjoy. No bread no app no salad. Order the 9 oz fillet if you want beef or the lobster tail. Focus on time with family and the joy of cruising.

Best of luck as you pursue the healthier you.

Just so you are not disappointed not just on the cruise there is no such thing as a restaurant needing to allow an adult to order off the kids menu. A Doctor's note has no bearing on it, there is no law that makes them let you order from a menu. That doesn't mean there won't be any restaurants that won't allow it but usually they will point out other options off the regular menu.

All that said, never hurts to ask.

I totally agree with Tampa8. I own a restaurant and the kids menu is designed to attract adults, not kids, since the kids don't pay. In some instances the adult hot dog and the kids hot dog are exactly the same. The 1/2 price is to attract families. If you want to eat less, good for you. The Steakhouse has some excellent soups, salads and apps, no reason to order a 20oz steak.

As I have aged, I have found I'm able to eat less and less. We used to go to the steakhouse & I would order the lamb chops, as I love them & you can't get them everywhere. After a few times, I asked to take half back to the cabin. One ship they let me, the next they didn't, so I had to come up with something I could eat all of at the steakhouse. I settled on the lobster tail and it works well. No bread, no dessert, a few bites of salad & I'm good to go!

Don't be surprised if the wait staff ask if you want something else in the Main Dining Room. I generally eat only some of whatever I order and find it very satisfying. Both DH and I find ourselves overwhelmed by the food mid-week and end up eating salads at meals. With us, it's just our age - we're not thin or anything!:D

Your last idea is the best, lots of people throw up following that surgery for a while.