Downsell offer....

dizlove

First time this has ever happened to me....

2 days before our cruise I received a voicemail message from princess that they oversold balconies on our cruise and they would offer me $600 in On board credit to move to an inside cabin. Btw 6 weeks earlier they upsold me to this balcony for $200.

I was traveling and missed the call/offer until it was too late to respond anyway. So decision was made for me. Otherwise it would have been a tough call? In the end I LOVED my lido balcony!

Anyone have this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is funny....upsell only to try to be downsold!

I just had same thing on my upcoming Majestic cruise.

I have 2 balconies booked. They offered to switch to inside 50 percent cruise back, plus another 200 all OBC and specialty dinner.

So I accepted for 1 room. Still have 1 balcony.....Inside is across hall and I have over 1600 OBC. This will pay for shore excursions. Still keep beverage package. So I am happy.

Kerri

2 days before our cruise I received a voicemail message from princess that they oversold balconies on our cruise and they would offer me $600 in On board credit to move to an inside cabin. Btw 6 weeks earlier they upsold me to this balcony for $200.

I was traveling and missed the call/offer until it was too late to respond anyway. So decision was made for me. Otherwise it would have been a tough call? In the end I LOVED my lido balcony!

Anyone have this happen?

At first I thought this was some kind of April Fools joke until I read the last paragraph! LOL

Anyone have this happen?

There are a couple of discussions going on now that have some moveovers to a lower cat cabin as you noted.

Princess has been doing this for a long time and have it down to a science. They sweeten the deal with OBC and cabins to get enough takers. Sometimes it's a lower cabin. They sail full the majority of the time.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They'd have to offer more than $400 for me to take that downsell.

OP doesn't say what they were originally upsold from, If Inside then they were happy enough with an inside when they originally booked. Of course they also don't say what the length of the cruise was. I always need to know how much per day is being offered to get some idea of whether I would have been interested or not...3 day cruise and I'm IN....29 day cruise uhhh No thanks. I assume they meant $600 per person times two people in the cabin but this assumption could be wrong.

AE_Collector

OP doesn't say what they were originally upsold from, If Inside then they were happy enough with an inside when they originally booked. Of course they also don't say what the length of the cruise was. I always need to know how much per day is being offered to get some idea of whether I would have been interested or not...3 day cruise and I'm IN....29 day cruise uhhh No thanks. I assume they meant $600 per person times two people in the cabin but this assumption could be wrong.

AE_Collector

Booked an inside originally. Happily took the balcony upsell. It was for 7 days. I would not have been as happy in the inside cabin so I'm happy with they way it turned out. The $600 was more than the price of one passengers entire original fare. I had gotten a VERY good deal.

The $600 offer was for total obc not per person.

Interesting. The one time I was offered a "Downsell Offer", I was also booked in a Lido balcony. (At the time I booked, all balconies were the same price.) In my case, the downsell was to another balcony (a lower price class) and since one of them was on the Caribe deck, I took the very nice OBC offered and enjoyed my larger balcony! :cool:

To me, it would depend on the itinerary. For instance, we did the Australia/New Zealand cruise and booked an inside because we were in port almost every day and would be off the ship touring. .

Now we are booked on a cruise from San Pedro to Hawaii. Ten days at sea, one day in five ports. We have been to Hawaii several times and really aren't interested in any shore excursions other than Pearl Harbor so we want the balcony. I would not be willing to switch to an inside even if they did offer me a bucket of obc

I hope I won't have to make that decision (lol).

This sort of happened to me a long time ago on Princess ... I mean years ago. We were booked in an inside cabin (cheapest room) and my TA called and said that Princess offered us $500 to move to a different inside cabin as there was a rather large group that all wanted to be booked next to one another. OMG -- I was kind of upset that by the time we were able to get back to them, the deal was no longer being offered.