Magical Mystery Tour - Live from the Norwegian Spirit April 12th

KeithJenner

Fantastic day today.

We weren't up and about too early, but took the shuttle to St Marks and had an enjoyable few hours just wandering around. I just love walking around Venice. You just never know what's around the next corner.

We had a lovely lunch in a restaurant on the Grand Canal. Walked around some more and then I left the rest of the family to it whilst I mixed my training for the sponsored walk with an opportunity to walk round the city. A great 10 mile loop right round the island, going to quite a few areas that I haven't seen before.

Relaxing in the room now, all set to board nice and early tomorrow and get settled in on the ship. We've been living out of suitcases for four night now, so looking forward to being able to unpack properly. Hopefully I'll check back in again tomorrow sometime.

Very quick report from Raffles Terrace as I enjoy this beer.

We got a taxi to the port fairly early, just before they started check in. There is a small seating area for Platinum and above latitudes levels, which was quite nice, and then we boarded with the first group.

Got our reservations for Teppenyaki (not available for prebooking on the Spirit).

Our son has had a quick swim in the cold pool and now we're relaxing for a while before muster and then sail away at 5pm.

I haven't sorted out the internet yet, so once we sail away I will be offline until I can be bothered to do that, or Friday afternoon when we reach Heraklion.

So, where are we going?

Despite having been to the Eastern Med on three previous cruises, there are only two ports (Venice and Split) that we have been to before. The itinerary is:

Venice

Heraklion, Crete

Haifa, Israel (overnight)

Limassol, Cyprus

Rhodes, Greece

Kotor, Montenegro

Split, Croatia

As usual, we will be doing it ourselves in the ports. We've got some plans for some of them and in others, it's a case of just walk round the ports.

One final thing. In a typically dismal bit of planning, I'm doing a long sponsored walk the weekend after we return, so I will be doing a fair amount of walking, both round the promenade deck and also in port, to keep my fitness up. Don't follow any of my suggestions if you want to avoid some walking. I'll be clocking up some miles.

Enjoy the holyland its a truly remarkable little country and two days is not enough. If you get to Jerusalem you will be enchanted

BTW is Almando the HD

Enjoy the holyland its a truly remarkable little country and two days is not enough. If you get to Jerusalem you will be enchanted

BTW is Almando the HD

Yes he is.

Not going to Jerusalem. I try to avoid the long journeys when in port. We are going to Acre instead.

Just got back from having a walk round Heraklion, so I'll try to update on a few things.

Firstly, the ship. As I mentioned earlier, the Spirit had a very short dry dock recently. It was cut back from a full Norwegian Edge update, and as expected I haven't noticed anything that has changed. On our last cruise on the ship we did notice the musty smell in places, and I haven't noticed it at all this time. It looks like it's just been given a good clean up.

The staff are about the best that I think I have ever encountered on a cruise. Exceptionally friendly and helpful.

On our last Spirit cruise we found a particularly good bartender in Henrys Pub. We are Facebook friends and I knew that we was still on the ship and we tracked him down to Shanghai Bar, so that's been our local this time. We had a great night last night, although we aren't going to be able to keep the pace up for 11 days. Met lots of other passengers over the past couple of days. I can honestly say that so far I think this looks like being one of the best cruises we've done.

We went to Teppenyaki yesterday. It's always been one of our favourites, but this was without doubt the best yet. The steak was unbelievably tender. We've got another reservation for next week, and hope it's as good.

Other than that, it's mainly been the buffet for us so far. A decent selection considering the size.

We're going to La Trattoria tonight. We've particularly enjoyed the Italian on our last couple of cruises (my wife wasn't a fan previously).

Whilst we haven't yet been to the MDR, I've checked out the menus and they are the newly updated ones. The extra charge items have gone, and the always available items include bolognese and lasagne, which is handy for us as our son can sometimes be quite fussy and with these menus we know that there will be something he can order even if the daily items don't appeal to him.

So, Heraklion.

We had made the decision beforehand that we weren't going to do either Knossos or Pathos (we've done similar places quite a few times and decided to have a break this time).

As a result, Heraklion and Limassol are the two ports that we didn't have any particular plans for. We decided to just get off the ship and have a walk around. It was a very enjoyable time, just wandering for a few hours.

I have to say that of the Greek ports I have visited, Heraklion is my least favourite. Being a bigger city it doesn't have the character of the likes of Santorini or Mykonos. It was nice though.

If we come back here again we will probably go to Knossos. It's easy to get to. The taxi fare was about €9 and there are hop on hop off buses that will take you there as well.

Sounds like you're having a great time! Glad to hear it. And thanks for the updates about the ship, the food onboard, and the crew. We already have our reservation booked for La Trattoria and will book Teppanyaki soon after we get on the ship.

So looking forward to our turn on the Spirit in only 19 days! :)

Keith - are you in a suite or balcony cabin ?

Did the dry dock refit improve the cabins ?

Enjoying your news - we are on Spirit later this year.

We're in a balcony.

The furniture etc is exactly the same, but I think it's all been given a good clean.

Love reading your review Keith! We get on on Sunday when you get off!

Couple of questions - what is the cruise director like and how are the shows? Are they still at 7.30 and 9.30?

When you sail out of Venice, do you sail past most of the island, or just out of the cruise port area and out to sea (if that makes sense?)

Thanks for a great review Keith....since i will be sailing on the spirit come winter, do you know if they have a private thermal spa....and last question, since I will be booking the cruise at the last minute, will I have the chance of booking other specialty restaurant reservations besides the teppanyaki onboard...thanks again

Love reading your review Keith! We get on on Sunday when you get off!

Couple of questions - what is the cruise director like and how are the shows? Are they still at 7.30 and 9.30?

When you sail out of Venice, do you sail past most of the island, or just out of the cruise port area and out to sea (if that makes sense?)

The cruise director is one of this generic CD's that seem to be on pretty well every ship. I don't take much notice of him, to be honest, but he seems to be fine.

We haven't done a show yet, but will probably go to one or two later in the cruise. I've just checked todays daily and they are at 7.30 and 9.30

The sail out of Venice is fantastic. It takes about 30 minutes to go past the city, including the St Marks area. If you've not done it before then make sure you have a good position on the port side.

Thanks for a great review Keith....since i will be sailing on the spirit come winter, do you know if they have a private thermal spa....and last question, since I will be booking the cruise at the last minute, will I have the chance of booking other specialty restaurant reservations besides the teppanyaki onboard...thanks again

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the spa. It isn't a very big area though.

So far, there seem to be spaces available in just about every restaurant (including Teppenyaki on a couple of occasions) even on the day itself. These things can change from cruise to cruise though.

If you book soon after boarding then I would suspect that you would have a good choice.

The cruise director is one of this generic CD's that seem to be on pretty well every ship. I don't take much notice of him, to be honest, but he seems to be fine.

We haven't done a show yet, but will probably go to one or two later in the cruise. I've just checked todays daily and they are at 7.30 and 9.30

The sail out of Venice is fantastic. It takes about 30 minutes to go past the city, including the St Marks area. If you've not done it before then make sure you have a good position on the port side.

Thanks Keith for answering my questions - I'm looking so forward to the sail out of Venice. We only depart at 11pm so it will be dark, but I guess (hope) that just gives another dimension seeing Venice all lit up.