Wow Band or not??

Our ski mountain uses RFID technology for the season and day passes. At the end of the day you can log into their app and see EXCATLY where you were all day. How long you spent everywhere, how fast you were going, your elevation. It's displayed as lines on a map. It tracks your every move.

Sometimes - it even shows the drive home. Lol. Which is fun because it boosts your average speed :)

I don't know the mechanism they'd use to communicate an offer, but next time you use Waze watch all the targeted offers that come on your screen; Waze will then offer to re-route you to the advertised offer. If you simply drive past the offer it disappears shortly to be replaced by another targeted offer. collection of data and flow is also how Waze knows the average traffic speed in congested areas and shows it as orange or red. This is all tied into big data and internet of things where everything is related to one another. It is big business with more data being collected daily than was collected in a years time 10 years ago.

I am sure as technology improves and costs come down a band with a small screen similar to a fitbit or apple watch may become available.

i have zero ads or targeted offers and i drive 700 miles a week using waze. does this mean i'm lucky? i do know PA turnpike pays waze for traffic data.

Technically, a bit more difficult to do on a ship since geolocating is harder. First, current gen RFID Seapass cards and WOW band only work within about an inch of the sensor. And, unlike a phone, any Seapass card or other hardware (like Carnival's Ocean Medallion) is an inactive device (no battery and it doesn't continuously transmit a signal).

And of course, one has to remember that this is an IT based system run by RCI.

sounds like wow cannot track you then. this is great news

whats next..facial recognition on all the cameras? :)

Technically, a bit more difficult to do on a ship since geolocating is harder. First, current gen RFID Seapass cards and WOW band only work within about an inch of the sensor. And, unlike a phone, any Seapass card or other hardware (like Carnival's Ocean Medallion) is an inactive device (no battery and it doesn't continuously transmit a signal).

And of course, one has to remember that this is an IT based system run by RCI.

I suppose, if your phone is logged into the WiFi they could track your location that way. But like you said: all this is run by RCI's IT Dept, so I think we're safe for a while yet.;p

Most likely, If I buy a watch on Freedom, a few months later, it will trigger a sales pitch to Bob on Grandeur for a pearl necklace that is out of stock.;)

dp

• Haha 1

sounds like wow cannot track you then. this is great news

In real time, no, but with enough systems integrated and connected, some pattern useful to the marketeers may emerge simply from the places you visit and do use your Wow band.

I think I've moved from a "why bother with WoW bands" to "Maybe I'll pay the $5x2 and we'll give them a shot" since they can be re-programmed on future cruises.

That, and I actually like the idea of being tracked for market research and (hopefully) getting notifications perhaps on my phone that there's some coupon discounts I can get. Now that would be ideal.

That, and I actually like the idea of being tracked for market research and (hopefully) getting notifications perhaps on my phone that there's some coupon discounts I can get. Now that would be ideal.

You mean getting hounded on the ship to buy drink packages, specialty dining, spa treatments,etc is not enough?;p

I think I've moved from a "why bother with WoW bands" to "Maybe I'll pay the $5x2 and we'll give them a shot" since they can be re-programmed on future cruises.

You have to make sure that the muster station is the same as printed on previous cruise on your wow band, I took mine on Anthem in Mar to re use and was told that i could swap, but as a one off. In future, i was told i would have to buy a new band.........:(