Wow Band or not??

The RFID cards would not get demagnitized like the older SeaPass cards. Not that I've heard it's a problem, but they would be much harder to copy too.

Is the WOW band and RFID card basically the same thing; just a difference of where you keep it on yourself?

Is the WOW band and RFID card basically the same thing; just a difference of where you keep it on yourself?

Yes, I believe they both contain RFID chips. However, you must use the card to leave or enter the ship. I don't think this is a technical restriction of the WOW band as much as a security policy adopted by the company.

Yes, I believe they both contain RFID chips. However, you must use the card to leave or enter the ship. I don't think this is a technical restriction of the WOW band as much as a security policy adopted by the company.

Since the Card has the specific cruise date printed on them, it can be a useful screening tool when getting back to the dock area, such as in Nassau where the Security will pre screen passengers accessing the ship area. They don't scan the the chip, they just look at the info on the card and match it with your passport.

dp

I asked what they do that the new RFID cards don't do.

Your response is really absurd.

They can cling to my wrist and a card cannot. I can also give it to my guest that we have in the CK so they can just walk in when they arrive. Basically they do the same things but we don't pay for ours either

I thought I saw photos where there are places at the bar to scan your WOW band? So you don't have to take it off? If you order something at the dining room or restaurant, you have to take the band off so they can go scan it?

what do they do differently than your card?

RFID can monitor your physical location. This is important data for logistics and marketing. It's just a lot more dynamic type of data compared to the sales and transaction data that was available through old style Seapass.

I don't object to the collection or use of this kind of information, but it is used to increase sales and revenue so if they want to do that fine, but I'm not going to also PAY for the band. They can give it to me free and in return can data mine my whereabouts.

I thought I saw photos where there are places at the bar to scan your WOW band? So you don't have to take it off? If you order something at the dining room or restaurant, you have to take the band off so they can go scan it?

When I was on HOS they had these in a few places... Some (maybe all) of the bars, and I think the stores? When getting drinks in the MDR or by the pool, I had to take it off.

RFID can monitor your physical location. This is important data for logistics and marketing. It's just a lot more dynamic type of data compared to the sales and transaction data that was available through old style Seapass.

I don't object to the collection or use of this kind of information, but it is used to increase sales and revenue so if they want to do that fine, but I'm not going to also PAY for the band. They can give it to me free and in return can data mine my whereabouts.

im very bad at marketing . i'm curious how they can use where i am on the ship to get more money out of me.

im very bad at marketing . i'm curious how they can use where i am on the ship to get more money out of me.

Similar to smart phones now with targeted offers. Driving past a retail store? You may get a text message with a coupon to shop at that store good for a short while.

If they know you spend time in the atrium not spending money they may offer you a $2 discount to visit the R Bar or Schooner bar in the next 60 minutes. Or they may know a certain area is densely packed at a given time of day with high spenders so maybe they set up a spa kiosk in that location.

Knowing how much you spend is just a piece of the puzzle. Knowing where you are and when you spend is a marketers dream come true.

It does also help the cruise lines with logistics, scheduling of events to manage people flow, etc. There's a lot of power behind this kind of technology, this just scratches the surface.

I thought I read somewhere that on Harmony you put your card in a slot in the room to turn on the electricity. I had a cabin like that on an MSC ship. If that's true, the WOW band would be worth the cost just to avoid the problem of accidentally locking myself out of my cabin because I left my card in the slot in the cabin.

I thought I read somewhere that on Harmony you put your card in a slot in the room to turn on the electricity. I had a cabin like that on an MSC ship. If that's true, the WOW band would be worth the cost just to avoid the problem of accidentally locking myself out of my cabin because I left my card in the slot in the cabin.

You can use any card in the slot, even a business card.

I'm familiar with the Disney bands from a recent trip, but I haven't seen the RCL ones yet.

If you have a drink package, is there something visual on the band for it? Or do they have to scan you every time?

If you take off the band to give to a waiter/waitress, how do you know you get the right one back? I've seen waiters and bartenders mix up room cards before, so I always check the name when mine comes back.

Personally, having to take the band off to order a drink from a waiter makes it a no-go for me. IMHO, if RCL wants to make the program successful, everyone selling anything on the ship should have a scanner.

Similar to smart phones now with targeted offers. Driving past a retail store? You may get a text message with a coupon to shop at that store good for a short while.

If they know you spend time in the atrium not spending money they may offer you a $2 discount to visit the R Bar or Schooner bar in the next 60 minutes. Or they may know a certain area is densely packed at a given time of day with high spenders so maybe they set up a spa kiosk in that location.

Knowing how much you spend is just a piece of the puzzle. Knowing where you are and when you spend is a marketers dream come true.

It does also help the cruise lines with logistics, scheduling of events to manage people flow, etc. There's a lot of power behind this kind of technology, this just scratches the surface.

i can drive past retail stores and they would never find me. i never have location on except for when i'm using waze. im' sure i'm in the minority that have location off.

so in your example with the 2 dollar discount for the next 60 minutes. does the wow band have a digital read out to show you this offer? if not, how do you know about such offers?

if they can use bands to schedule things better and keep elevators from being crowded after muster and shows that would b fantastic

i can drive past retail stores and they would never find me. i never have location on except for when i'm using waze. im' sure i'm in the minority that have location off.

so in your example with the 2 dollar discount for the next 60 minutes. does the wow band have a digital read out to show you this offer? if not, how do you know about such offers?

if they can use bands to schedule things better and keep elevators from being crowded after muster and shows that would b fantastic

I don't know the mechanism they'd use to communicate an offer, but next time you use Waze watch all the targeted offers that come on your screen; Waze will then offer to re-route you to the advertised offer. If you simply drive past the offer it disappears shortly to be replaced by another targeted offer. collection of data and flow is also how Waze knows the average traffic speed in congested areas and shows it as orange or red. This is all tied into big data and internet of things where everything is related to one another. It is big business with more data being collected daily than was collected in a years time 10 years ago.

I am sure as technology improves and costs come down a band with a small screen similar to a fitbit or apple watch may become available.

No, Wow bands do not have a digital display. Potentially, they could use the digital display monitors in their storefront displays as you approach them and show you merchandise they have calculated might be of interest to you. If every morning you head down to a promenade level and get or purchase a coffee, they could use displays in elevator area to try to "entice" you to an upgraded coffee and try to get more money out of your wallet and into theirs. In the same way, after you look for something on Amazon, for weeks later, you are bombarded with ads for that particular items on many website side bars... including this one.

Even sales staff might get a hint from their own display at what to try and up-sell you when sensors detect that you have walked in. Algorithms could predict according to past buying habits, what you might be persuaded into buying. Even info from past cruises from years ago could be used if collected.

Right now, I see Expedia ads, and MSC ads. Many Times I see ads for Momentum Watches, Wayfair... All places I might have looked up for stuff.

dp

Does the RFID card open the cabin door like the band? Just tap the sensor?

This was actually our favorite feature of the wowband... You could easily get into the room with your hands full... It makes holding two cups of coffee and a donut, and getting into the room, a bit easier :)

Technically, a bit more difficult to do on a ship since geolocating is harder. First, current gen RFID Seapass cards and WOW band only work within about an inch of the sensor. And, unlike a phone, any Seapass card or other hardware (like Carnival's Ocean Medallion) is an inactive device (no battery and it doesn't continuously transmit a signal).

And of course, one has to remember that this is an IT based system run by RCI.