Flight out of Sydney to SFO same day as disembarkation?

Hi, wanted to get opinions on flight time post-cruise in Sydney. We are going to be on Ovation and it says we will dock at 6:30 am. The flight I want to take home leaves the Sydney airport at 12:30 pm. I have no idea if that is too tight or not. I think probably not, but wanted opinions on if I should get a hotel room that night and get the flight the next day. I don't really want to but will if its too tight. Its not till March 2018 so no rush to decide. Just thinking ahead.

Thank you!

You could take the risk but let's look at the factors...

International checkin will be 10.30am and you should allow an hour to get to the airport (to give you a safety margin) - so that's 9.30am - you should allow 1 hour to disembark and collect luggage and clear customs - so that's 8.30am.......so you have 2 hours leeway

If it was me I wouldn't be taking the risk of delays occurring and you missing the flight. It's not the way I'd want to finish a holiday

Spend a day in Sydney and have a look around - there's lots to do

We were just on Ovation a few months ago and we had to catch a flight to LA.

We decided to stay an extra day in Sydney and leave the next day.

That was the best decision! We loved our last day around Sydney and we didn't have to worry about rushing to the airport!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just on Ovation a few months ago and we had to catch a flight to LA.

We decided to stay an extra day in Sydney and leave the next day.

That was the best decision! We loved our last day around Sydney and we didn't have to worry about rushing to the airport!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree, a 12.30pm flight is doable but why have the stress. If the Ovation misses the morning slot (peak hour with ferries) due to bad weather or some such reason, then you will not dock until closer to 10am.I know Sydney hotels are not cheap but for the sake of a few hundred dollars I think it would be worth it, especially compared with the thousands on your airfare.

BTW, it is normally recommended to be 3 hours prior for international flights.

I easily made my 1:00 flight after debarking off of Azamara in March. Others also made the 11:00 flight from SYD to LAX. We were off the ship by 7:00 am and at the airport by 7:45. I am definitely not a risk taker but truly had plenty of time to make the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I easily made my 1:00 flight after debarking off of Azamara in March. Others also made the 11:00 flight from SYD to LAX. We were off the ship by 7:00 am and at the airport by 7:45. I am definitely not a risk taker but truly had plenty of time to make the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But that's 680 passengers not ovation with over five times that number.

In all my fifteen years of cruising I have never booked a flight that arrives on departure day of the cruise or a flight that departs on the final day of the cruise. I am not into stressing myself out when I am on holidays.

For us it depends on the cruise and the port. For domestic cruises (out of Sydney), we often go up on the day and also return on the same day after the cruise. However, for any International cruises, we allow at least a day prior to the cruise and possibly also post cruise as well but very late afternoon or evening at the very least.

First, I am not responding to try and change your mind...it's a great idea to stay the night and fly the next day. There are so many things to see and do in Sydney.

We will, however tell you that we've flown out of Sydney back to SFO (and LAX) on disembarkation day.......no problems.

The first time, we spent 3 days in Sydney prior to our cruise and met some of the friendliest people in the world. We were introduced to the Opal Card. This card allowed us to to travel everywhere...using the bus, train, and ferry. The best part of the Opal Card, is the maximum charge per day is $15...no matter how many times you use it. What a great value. Note: The wonderful lady behind the counter even came out of her office to show us how to "Tap on/Tap Off" using the card.

The reason I mention the Opal Card is this: By the time it was time for us to leave Sydney, on disembarkation day, we already had our Opal Card...and knew exactly what to do.

The night before disembarkation, we decided to keep our luggages and walk off early in the morning. Walking out of the OPT was a breeze. It was about a 10 minute walk to the Circular Quay station and with the Opal Cards in hand, we simply "tap on" and waited for the train to the airport.

While waiting for the train, another nice gentleman noticed that we were obviously heading to the airport and said "You just missed the train". We were concerned until he smiled and said, "No worries, there's a train to the airport every 10 minutes".

Our flight to LAX was at 11:30am...we were at the airport before 8am. If it wasn't for the friendly Aussies and our introduction to the Opal Card...perhaps we would've been flying the next day as well. :)

Glad you had a wonderful time and experienced the friendliness of Aussies (unfortunately not everyone is like this) and also got to use the Opal cards for public transport in Sydney. For those who don't know this includes the public buses, train and ferries as well.