beaches of normandy

When we visited Normandy, we booked with Overlord. They provided a small group experience, [9 of us in the van], were able to pack in far more sites and had an excellent tour guide. I wouldn't hesitate to do this tour again with the same vendor. The cost pp was much less than the big bus tour through the cruise line. Check with others on your roll call to see if they have reserved this tour and join with them.

Darcy

Overlord is the best-known - and clearly well-received.

But I'm definitely not piling it on :) - there are other lesser-known operators offering much the same and I've only heard good reports about them too.

Google "D-Day tours".

And put words like "D-Day" "Omaha" and "American cemetery" into the search box on Cruise Critic's port-of-call forums for "Western Europe" and "Mediterranean ports - France" (yes, I know - there's nothing wrong with my geography, but you will find Normandy threads there ;))

I don't think any tour operator offers "seat in van" from either Le Havre or Cherbourg, only from Bayeux - and the timing of their tours from Bayeux makes that impossible. So cruisers have to book the entire van - they find sharers via their cruise RollCall here on Cruise Critic, so check your cruise RollCall first.

Overlord do offer seat-in-bus specifically for passengers on ships calling at Le Havre (I don't know about Cherbourg), but on that tour D-Day is only part of the tour - it also includes Bayeux and Honfleur, so those interested only in D-Day might find that tour quite limited in its D-Day scope.

If you can't get a booking with one of the tour operators & don't rate the "seat-in-bus" offerings of Royal Caribbean or Overlord, you could consider renting a car - it's pretty easy driving & parking.

I know the territory quite well from numerous visits, but never by cruise ship & never on an organised tour.

JB :)

Ooops. Just noticed you're new to Cruise Critic.

Here are links to those two Ports-of-Call forums.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=233

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=593

The search facility on those forums is the little box upper-right marked "search forum". Click on it and type in an appropriate word.

If you can't find your cruise RollCall, quote your ship and embarkation date, and some kind soul will post a link.

Edited by John Bull

When we visited Normandy, we booked with Overlord. They provided a small group experience, [9 of us in the van], were able to pack in far more sites and had an excellent tour guide. I wouldn't hesitate to do this tour again with the same vendor. The cost pp was much less than the big bus tour through the cruise line. Check with others on your roll call to see if they have reserved this tour and join with them.

Darcy

GTwice on HAL, we docked at Honflur and my DH took ship's tours voth times, as did a large percenttageof the ship. . (a combat Viet Vet) thought the tours very good well done..Tours were very long and it was impressived how well H AL ha handled all arangements. When we docked, I wsas on our ccernadah wsatching and the lline up[ of fuses waiting to be filled was ja w dropping. They had ordereed dome esxgttgra vuses as they knew it was such a long ride,, asleways a chance a bus could brake down and they didn't want to wait just in case there was need for a replacement. I aarhxwsx hoa aidtly they ggot them ll loasdedsxd ands on their way and it was impressive .

When we visited Normandy, we booked with Overlord. They provided a small group experience, [9 of us in the van], were able to pack in far more sites and had an excellent tour guide. I wouldn't hesitate to do this tour again with the same vendor. The cost pp was much less than the big bus tour through the cruise line. Check with others on your roll call to see if they have reserved this tour and join with them. Darcy
GTwice on HAL, we docked at Honfleur and my DH took ship's toursto D day beaches both times, as did a large percenttageof the ship. . (He, a combat Viet Vet) thought the tours very go well done)..Tours were very long and it was impressive how well H AL handled all arangements. When we docked, I sas on our vernadah watching and the lline up[ of buses waiting to be filled was ja w dropping. They had ordereed some esxgttgrabuses as they knew it was such a long ride,, aslways a chance a bus could breakke down and they didn't want to wait just in case there was need for a replacement. I watched as they got them all loaded ands on their way and it was impressive .

When we visited Normandy, we booked with Overlord. They provided a small group experience, [9 of us in the van], were able to pack in far more sites and had an excellent tour guide. I wouldn't hesitate to do this tour again with the same vendor. The cost pp was much less than the big bus tour through the cruise line. Check with others on your roll call to see if they have reserved this tour and join with them. Darcy
GTwice on HAL, we docked at Honfleur and my DH took ship's toursto D day beaches both times, as did a large percenttageof the ship. . (He, a combat Viet Vet) thought the tours very go well done)..Tours were very long and it was impressive how well H AL handled all arangements. When we docked, I sas on our vernadah watching and the lline up[ of buses waiting to be filled was ja w dropping. They had ordered some esxgttgrabuses as they knew it was such a long ride,, aslways a chance a bus could breakke down and they didn't want to wait just in case there was need for a replacement. I watched as they got them all loaded ands on their way and it was impressive .

Twice on HAL, we docked at Honfleur and my DH took ship's tours to D day beaches both times, as did a large percentageof the ship. . (He, a combat Viet Vet) thought the tours very well done)..Tours were very long and it was impressive how well H AL handled all arrangements for s many guestss gokng o long tggourdsx at once.. When we docked, I was on our vernadah watching and the lline up[ of buses waiting to be filled was ja w dropping. They had ordered some esxgttgrabuses as they knew it was such a long ride,, aslways a chance a bus could breakke down and they didn't want to wait just in case there was need for a replacement. Eveyone was very enthruasiastic when they returned at what a great day they had enjoyed. i was not able to go on the tours but enjoyd the lovely town of Honfleur.