New Cabin Categories Mismatch

Has anyone ever encountered an error on their paperwork, where the cabin category didn't match the deck plan?

We're currently in this situation. Our TA is checking to see if it's a coding error in their system or a deck plan error (it's based on the new deck plans coming out in 2018). The price difference is several hundreds of dollars.

Interestingly, the cabins we have are listed on the current deck plans as the cheaper "Deluxe" balconies, but in 2018 they'll magically be upgraded to the more expensive "Spacious" balconies. Our paperwork has them listed with the cheaper code for a regular balcony category; however, the price matches the higher category.

According to the deck plans, the current "Deluxe" balconies are 184 sq ft and the current "Superior" balconies are 199 sq ft. The new cabin categories are listed simply as "Ocean View" and "Spacious Ocean View" and the square footage matches the old categories, respectively. Unless there is a dry dock happening, how will a current Deluxe balcony be increased in size to become a Spacious balcony? Am I missing something?

Has anyone ever encountered an error on their paperwork, where the cabin category didn't match the deck plan?

We're currently in this situation. Our TA is checking to see if it's a coding error in their system or a deck plan error (it's based on the new deck plans coming out in 2018). The price difference is several hundreds of dollars.

Interestingly, the cabins we have are listed on the current deck plans as the cheaper "Deluxe" balconies, but in 2018 they'll magically be upgraded to the more expensive "Spacious" balconies. Our paperwork has them listed with the cheaper code for a regular balcony category; however, the price matches the higher category.

According to the deck plans, the current "Deluxe" balconies are 184 sq ft and the current "Superior" balconies are 199 sq ft. The new cabin categories are listed simply as "Ocean View" and "Spacious Ocean View" and the square footage matches the old categories, respectively. Unless there is a dry dock happening, how will a current Deluxe balcony be increased in size to become a Spacious balcony? Am I missing something?

What ship and cabin number?

As I explore more, there is a gap between the old deck plans and the new deck plans effective date: the old plan ends on 28 April and the new one begins on 6 May. I wonder if there will be a refurb during this time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I explore more, there is a gap between the old deck plans and the new deck plans effective date: the old plan ends on 28 April and the new one begins on 6 May. I wonder if there will be a refurb during this time?

Don't think Freedom is due until 2020 for Dry Dock and doubt many changes to cabins, usually just Marine side since major changes were all done 2 yrs ago...

The word back from the TA:

As Ken suggested, the price difference is due to cabin location - apparently the most expensive "Ocean View" balconies mid-ship are quite close in price to the cheapest "Spacious Ocean View" balconies forward/aft.

He wasn't able to explain the difference in category codes or why these cabins would be upgraded from Deluxe to the new Spacious without correspondingly increasing the cabin size. It could just be a simple error on the deck plans. In any case, it is to our benefit at this point.

It was more a curiosity to me than anything... perhaps it is futile to try to figure out the pricing game the cruise lines play!

When logging onto c&a to check upgrade setttings there was something about changes coming to rccl categories coming in future. Something about "want you to know first" sort of memo. Might go under profile and see if something to read about it. Not sure if same thing but FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The word back from the TA:

As Ken suggested, the price difference is due to cabin location - apparently the most expensive "Ocean View" balconies mid-ship are quite close in price to the cheapest "Spacious Ocean View" balconies forward/aft.

He wasn't able to explain the difference in category codes or why these cabins would be upgraded from Deluxe to the new Spacious without correspondingly increasing the cabin size. It could just be a simple error on the deck plans. In any case, it is to our benefit at this point.

It was more a curiosity to me than anything... perhaps it is futile to try to figure out the pricing game the cruise lines play!

I believe this is indeed an error in the deck plans. The new deck plans for 06-May-2018 to 28-Apr-2019 on the Royal Caribbean web site are colored coded such that cabin 8318 appears to be designated as category "3B - Spacious Oceanview Balcony" on those deck plans. However, when one actually tries to book a cabin like 8318 on the Royal Caribbean web site for a cruise after May 2018, one finds that it is actually designated as category "2D - Oceanview Balcony" during the booking process.

When logging onto c&a to check upgrade setttings there was something about changes coming to rccl categories coming in future. Something about "want you to know first" sort of memo. Might go under profile and see if something to read about it. Not sure if same thing but FYI

Thank you. I'll take a look.

I believe this is indeed an error in the deck plans. The new deck plans for 06-May-2018 to 28-Apr-2019 on the Royal Caribbean web site are colored coded such that cabin 8318 appears to be designated as category "3B - Spacious Oceanview Balcony" on those deck plans. However, when one actually tries to book a cabin like 8318 on the Royal Caribbean web site for a cruise after May 2018, one finds that it is actually designated as category "2D - Oceanview Balcony" during the booking process.

So I'm not entirely crazy! [emoji4]

It will be interesting to see what the error ends up being... are the deck plans wrong or the booking side?

The most puzzling point for me all along has been how they can make a current Deluxe cabin into a larger Spacious cabin without any physical changes. You'd think they would need to take down the cabin size descriptions.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that all of the Accessible balcony cabins on Voyager class ships (and maybe other classes) will be upgraded from E3 Deluxe Oceanview With Balcony to 1B Spacious Oceanview With Balcony.