NCL EPIC vs RCL

magensbay91609

My friend and I (retired/Diamond Plus/Diamond) have been loyal RCL (out of Canaveral or Tampa) for years but have experienced continuing/steady/serious decline with RCL's overall quality/service/food/amenities, etc. The EPIC may be coming to Canaveral and we need to know how NCL compares to RCL. I don't think NCL would accept our Diamond/Diamond Plus but would it be worth it to try the Epic? Any day cruising is a great day so I hate to complain but RCL just isn't what it used to be. Thanks for any input.:)

Thank you. We were just wondering how it compares to RCL Freedom/Oasis and if the studio cabins get claustrophobic. We could do two Epic studio cruises for the price of a RCL balcony but we've earned so many RCL points that it's scary to be newbies again lol

I think Royal cruisers most often complain that there is no promenade.

I have been on Oasis and Epic. It's not the same feel, but Epic is a great ship. So much to see and do. Never been in studio cabin so can't speak to that.

Food and service is good.

Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. We were just wondering how it compares to RCL Freedom/Oasis and if the studio cabins get claustrophobic. We could do two Epic studio cruises for the price of a RCL balcony but we've earned so many RCL points that it's scary to be newbies again lol

I feel you..we are five nights from Diamond with RCCL and I'm bored:(. We've booked EPIC for December and I am hoping for an excellent trip! We were able to book a mini suite with the UBP, speciality dining, OBC and no taxes etc. for a price much lower than anything RCCL is sailing and to different ports than I've found on RCCL lately (first world problem but how many times can you go to the Bahamas and St. Thomas?). Never on anything in Oasis class, but did Quantum class in November and was not impressed.

Hoping for a new line addiction - we shall see:cool:

I never think it's bad to try out other lines. I like the variety that different lines give, and don't want to sail the same ships, itineraries, lines all the time.

No, NCL will not take your D/D+ loyalty thing, as they have nothing to do with NCL (yes, MSC does, but it's a marketing move for them to try and get cruisers while entering a new market, we'll see if it lasts).

I like NCL, but I like most lines. How does NCL compare, depends what you're looking for. I would say NCL is more laid back then RCCL for the most part, but they're in similar categories (mass market contemporary) so you'll find a lot of similar types of people on board. It's geared towards families, especially the larger ships (like Epic). Since you've done Oasis class, you'll be fine with booking shows and restaurants, either onboard or ahead of time.

I actually have sailed the studio cabins on Epic (of the 3 solo cruisers I've done, that happened to be one of them). I thought they did a good job with it. They're fine for 1-person, and I enjoyed the studio lounge and how that was handled (though, if sailing with a friend, you won't really need it). The normal cabins on Epic though are...well..odd.

Entertainment is good, love the Howl at the Moon dueling pianos, enjoyed the Priscilla Queen of the Dessert show. A lot is going to be what you're looking for, and what it is about RCCL you don't enjoy. There is a lot of nickel/diming, but overall it's about the same.

It doesn't measure up to the Oasis class (but, to me, not much does for a mass market line. That and the Disney Dream class are my favorites). But it's fun.

I

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I am absolutely not fishing. We just got off a 5-day on the Brilliance (we were on the Oasis in November and are going again this November) and have been very loyal to Royal. But we've noticed a distinct deterioration with each cruise over the past few years. On this past cruise, the white sheer balcony curtains were shredded, there was chipped paint on the bathroom door, absolutely no room amenities, some horrible food (and fortunately some great food), cabins not cleaned in the a.m., some less-than-friendly servers, etc. We just found out that the Epic will be coming to Canaveral for a short period of time in 2018 and were wondering if we should give it a try...it almost feels like cheating lol but it might be time to try something new. I would appreciate any input or insight.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I am absolutely not fishing. We just got off a 5-day on the Brilliance (we were on the Oasis in November and are going again this November) and have been very loyal to Royal. But we've noticed a distinct deterioration with each cruise over the past few years. On this past cruise, the white sheer balcony curtains were shredded, there was chipped paint on the bathroom door, absolutely no room amenities, some horrible food (and fortunately some great food), cabins not cleaned in the a.m., some less-than-friendly servers, etc. We just found out that the Epic will be coming to Canaveral for a short period of time in 2018 and were wondering if we should give it a try...it almost feels like cheating lol but it might be time to try something new. I would appreciate any input or insight.

We were on the Epic for the first time last year. We put it off for a long time because of her size but needless to say we loved it. We enjoyed the restaurants, and it never felt crowded. The only booking we did was for the shows other than that it was stress free.

We went on 2 RCL cruises (Freedom and Navigator) before we tried NCL (Getaway and soon the Epic). We agree that there was a decline between the RCL cruises. We liked the crowds, shows, service and food better on NCL so we've decided to go again. We do miss the Promenade on RCL, but (as mentioned by someone else) Howl at the Moon is a great spot to hang out. Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with a cruise. Happy travels!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Go on Epic! I'm D+ on RCCL and the main reason we stayed was the free drinks. You know how much that saves?! I agree that food and service has declined in some areas over the years, and the dining room food has become so boring to us. Even the specialty restaurants on our last few cruises just weren't as good as they used to be.

We always wanted to try the Epic and when NCL came out with the UBP freebie and the Epic moving to Canaveral, it was a no brainer. We took the 4 night cruise in March and absolutely loved it. We ate at all specialty restaurants and could not believe the quality and quantity.

I admit, I hated the cabin with the weird bathroom configuration, but I'd sail on the Epic again without hesitation.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Thanks, again for all the input! We booked a four-night on the Epic in March out of Canaveral and are so excited! We're still on the Oasis in November and can't change that reservation for many reasons but are so looking forward to trying NCL in March. We've been 'married' to RCL for over a decade but it feels like it's time for a separation lol...can't wait for our first date with Epic.

My friend and I (retired/Diamond Plus/Diamond) have been loyal RCL (out of Canaveral or Tampa) for years but have experienced continuing/steady/serious decline with RCL's overall quality/service/food/amenities, etc. The EPIC may be coming to Canaveral and we need to know how NCL compares to RCL. I don't think NCL would accept our Diamond/Diamond Plus but would it be worth it to try the Epic? Any day cruising is a great day so I hate to complain but RCL just isn't what it used to be. Thanks for any input.:)

I have cruised both lines. The only things I hate about NCL is the absence of a glamour central Area and ... the outside of the ship looks so tacky compared to RCL ships. I always feel embarrassed to tell the taxi driver where to drop me off - but once I am aboard I love it. I was so happy to book my next cruise on the Epic In October. I hope you feel the same.