Cruising with baby?

Hi there!

Hubby and I are avid cruisers/ travelers and we just booked our first cruise with baby! He will be 7 months old at the time of cruising. We're pretty nervous about it, anyone travel with babies that can give us some tips/ advice?

I would like for the negative Nancy's to please keep their opinions to themselves. I know some people are anti - traveling with babies. Thanks [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Hi there!

Hubby and I are avid cruisers/ travelers and we just booked our first cruise with baby! He will be 7 months old at the time of cruising. We're pretty nervous about it, anyone travel with babies that can give us some tips/ advice?

I would like for the negative Nancy's to please keep their opinions to themselves. I know some people are anti - traveling with babies. Thanks [emoji1]

There is a Family Cruising forum you might want to take a look at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

We took our son at 10 months.

He was on formula and drank a lot more than we had anticipated and had to seek our formula in a port stop; so be sure to bring an adequate supply; perhaps twice what is normal.

Sleep times are going to be "off". Just try to roll with it.

A small umbrella stroller, with recline, is a must. Naps were super easy; just go to an outside deck with some breeze, recline the stroller, and right out he went. Every kid is different, but that did the trick for us.

We were good in MDR for 45-60 minutes; just let the wait staff know and they will accommodate no problem. We would skip dessert to save time and go walk around and grab something later on. They will also blend food/fruits no problem, just ask!

We'd often be in the room by 9:00PM; not exactly our norm, but it was fine, we were just wiped out because we did more daytime activities.

Be sure to check if the kids club has an open play time where parents stay and play with babies; most ships will have toys for this.

Whatever diapers you are going to bring, add 25% to that number! See also the increase in formula intake on the ship. I'm sure you understand, lol.

If your baby is starting to wiggle or crawl check out some of the clubs during daytime that are not being used; they give a lot of carpeted floor space for your baby to get out energy.

Have fun.

RCI Royal Babies & Tots Nursery is amazing...so you can get some alone times...so be sure to consider which of the RCI ships you're going to sail. Don't confuse the Royal Babies & Tots Program...it must also say Nursery. We have used the nursery when we have sailed with extended family that included grandchildren. Enjoy :D

As long as you bring all the supplies you need (and don't forget pediatric medications...andy you MIGHT need...the ship doesn't sell any baby stuff!), then it's no different from being at home with your child! No need to be nervous...you have a family, and families vacation together!

We've been cruising with and without our kids for years. Our youngest (13 now) was 6 months on his first cruise. It's not hard to cruise with an infant, you just need to be flexible and be prepared. I'm an over packer to begin. Take plenty of diapers and formula. On that voyage we were face with Hurricane Jean. It was great listening to the cruise director making announcements to see if anyone had extra diapers for families than ran out. We were out at see for three extra days. One of the chefs came out to our table in the dining room one night during our extra days and offered to puree food for us if needed.

I found a small style stroller worked best. We brought our own pack and play. We usually request a table just for our family. Our wait staff was great in the dini ng room. The assistant waiter saw that the baby liked playing with the spoons. By the third night there were 7 spoons lined up on the table in front of his high chair. You can still do shows. Sit in the back or near a door in case the baby starts to fuss and one of you can take a walk. You can buy Tide small packets for washing in a sink. Target usually has them in their travel size section. These are perfect for washing baby items in the sink if needed. (or grown up items)

Just remember to take things in stride. Don't worry if other passengers think you're crazy taking an infant. Be willing to take a walk if the baby gets fussy. We've cruised with the kids since they were toddlers and infant. They are 21, 19 and 13 now all seasoned cruisers and great travellers. Enjoy.

We took both of our kids on vacation as infants but neither time was a cruise.

The biggest thing is the early nights! Be ready to spend a lot of time in your cabin. At 7 months you probably won't have to worry about your baby not being able to sit up, we would take turns eating while the other held the baby! If you are using a bottle, try to get the baby used to drinking room temp or cold formula. It's not always easy to warm a bottle when traveling, and it's just easier when you're in a hurry.

Well allow me to introduce myself I'm Realistic Ralph, Negative Nancy is my sister. You, only want to hear the positive. Well you posted a question on a very public forum. So to keep you grounded and realistic as to what to expect.

Well expect the unexpected. It will not be relaxing,it will be a whirlwind of "Holy S#*t , why did we do this, what were we thinking!!!"

Hope you purchased trip insurance. God forbid finster baby gets an ear ache. That several hundred bucks at the infirmary.

Enjoy taking turns leaving the cabin, just to get a few moments of the taste of sweet freedom.

Romantic dinners. Haaaa.

Now, the positive aspects. Family bonding, memories, moments to capture on video "priceless". The look on your babies face when they see the nightly towel animal.

Do overthink. Just think. And enjoy the moments that any parent will tell you go by way too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would never bring a baby along on a cruise.

Way too much hassle, it would not be fun.

Especially if you are a high strung, helicopter parent.

Cabins, doorway, elevators, halls, are all very small and narrow to lug around strollers, etc.

We did not bring our kids until they were 3.

We will also be cruising with a baby for the first time in the near future. I am curious to hear anyones experiences specifically in terms of excursions. A lot of excursions require 1-2 travel time to get where you're going. Doable?

We find cruising with babies/infants/toddlers no more stressful than cruising just adults. About to go on our oldest daughters fifth cruise (she's 3 years old, her first was at 10 months) and youngest daughters second cruise (she just turned one her first was at 8 months) the one difference is we would go back to cabin earlier than previously to get the girls to bed. But we would bring books, card games, dvds and relax in the cabin and on the balcony. The one thing we miss- the solarium. You got great tips from the first few posters-

You know your baby better than anyone on here. Bring toys/entertainment for dinner- that can drag on. Some ships have smaller cabin doors and our britax didn't fit through the cabin door- umbrella stroller did. We babywear- ergo came in handy a lot!

We stick to schedules at home but our philosophy is vacation is a vacation for everyone- we usually get the girls back on their schedules within a few days.

As for excursions- when in US (port canaveral) we rented a car with a car seat. In Bahamas/Bermuda we brought our car seat with us and used the seat belt buckle. For beach excursions we brought sand toys and always rented a clam shell/umbrella for shade

Hopefully I can offer you some reassurance! The best piece of advice I have is to book it and enjoy the time spent as a family! We have two boys (now 4 and 2) and they have each been on several cruises starting at 6 months old. I might be the odd one out by saying that I think it was easier to travel with a baby than a toddler! We tend to sail on the Oasis class ships now and we have used the nursery on the Oasis, the Allure and just recently the Harmony. They are FANTASTIC. We would use them in the afternoons and the evenings. Not every night, but a few nights during the cruise. We now sail with our good friends whose boys are the same ages and they would tell you the same. I'm also going to say that we didn't spend a ton of time in our cabin. We bring strollers that we know our kids will be comfortable sleeping in (yes, we bring two single strollers). They would sleep on deck during the day (make sure the stroller has a good sun awning) and we even brought them to shows at night. The staff on the ships are so accommodating. Last year we were with our friends and they had us bring in our three strollers and line them up against the wall in the theater. All of the boys were fast asleep during the entire production of Mamma Mia. The ship will supply a pack and play and we have always brought our own sheets - just to give it a touch of home. We also traveled with the sleep sheep when they were both little so that it would be like their crib at home.

Things not to forget: Formula (if you are formula feeding) - pack more than you think you will need. We also bought a formula container that separated the amounts for each feeding.

All meds and a thermometer - Anything you might need - Tylenol, Motrin, gas drops, etc. You can't get infant meds from the store onboard, but if something does happen while you're away, the medical center on board does have meds including antibiotics.

Inflatable Duck Tub - If you're not in a suite, you will have a stand up shower and no tub. The Duck Tub fit in the shower and we would just bathe them in there. We would also take it up to the pool deck during the day and get some water from the shower (the ones used to rinse off) and put it between our chairs so that our little one could play in the water.

Baby Bjorn/Ergo carrier - really helps during the sail away drill and just walking around in general.

More diapers than you think you will need along with diaper disposal bags (so that your cabin doesn't smell)

Bottle Brush/Small bottle of dish soap - to wash bottles

Tide sink packs - so that you can wash bibs or any clothes that might be soiled

We took our kids on excursions, to the beach, to restaurants, etc. Don't let anybody scare you into not taking your child. You will have a great time. If you utilize the nursery (or even if you don't) and have an open mind, it will be an amazing vacation. Make plans for all the shows - the worst thing that can happen is that you don't make it. We always liked the late seating for dinner because we could (and still do at times!) bring our kids sleeping in their strollers and wheel them right up to the table. We would just feed them dinner ahead of time in the room. We have never had a bad cruise - we look back and have wonderful memories of our kids growing up onboard. Plus, the photographers love little ones - you will have so many pictures!!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

We took our son at 10 months.

He was on formula and drank a lot more than we had anticipated and had to seek our formula in a port stop; so be sure to bring an adequate supply; perhaps twice what is normal.

Sleep times are going to be "off". Just try to roll with it.

A small umbrella stroller, with recline, is a must. Naps were super easy; just go to an outside deck with some breeze, recline the stroller, and right out he went. Every kid is different, but that did the trick for us.

We were good in MDR for 45-60 minutes; just let the wait staff know and they will accommodate no problem. We would skip dessert to save time and go walk around and grab something later on. They will also blend food/fruits no problem, just ask!

We'd often be in the room by 9:00PM; not exactly our norm, but it was fine, we were just wiped out because we did more daytime activities.

Be sure to check if the kids club has an open play time where parents stay and play with babies; most ships will have toys for this.

Whatever diapers you are going to bring, add 25% to that number! See also the increase in formula intake on the ship. I'm sure you understand, lol.

If your baby is starting to wiggle or crawl check out some of the clubs during daytime that are not being used; they give a lot of carpeted floor space for your baby to get out energy.

Have fun.

Thanks so much!

RCI Royal Babies & Tots Nursery is amazing...so you can get some alone times...so be sure to consider which of the RCI ships you're going to sail. Don't confuse the Royal Babies & Tots Program...it must also say Nursery. We have used the nursery when we have sailed with extended family that included grandchildren. Enjoy :D

Just had to double check... phew! It's on the Oasis yay. Thanks [emoji4]

As long as you bring all the supplies you need (and don't forget pediatric medications...andy you MIGHT need...the ship doesn't sell any baby stuff!), then it's no different from being at home with your child! No need to be nervous...you have a family, and families vacation together!

Thanks so much! Your comment really did make me feel better [emoji4]

We've been cruising with and without our kids for years. Our youngest (13 now) was 6 months on his first cruise. It's not hard to cruise with an infant, you just need to be flexible and be prepared. I'm an over packer to begin. Take plenty of diapers and formula. On that voyage we were face with Hurricane Jean. It was great listening to the cruise director making announcements to see if anyone had extra diapers for families than ran out. We were out at see for three extra days. One of the chefs came out to our table in the dining room one night during our extra days and offered to puree food for us if needed.

I found a small style stroller worked best. We brought our own pack and play. We usually request a table just for our family. Our wait staff was great in the dini ng room. The assistant waiter saw that the baby liked playing with the spoons. By the third night there were 7 spoons lined up on the table in front of his high chair. You can still do shows. Sit in the back or near a door in case the baby starts to fuss and one of you can take a walk. You can buy Tide small packets for washing in a sink. Target usually has them in their travel size section. These are perfect for washing baby items in the sink if needed. (or grown up items)

Just remember to take things in stride. Don't worry if other passengers think you're crazy taking an infant. Be willing to take a walk if the baby gets fussy. We've cruised with the kids since they were toddlers and infant. They are 21, 19 and 13 now all seasoned cruisers and great travellers. Enjoy.

Gotta love those waiters! [emoji4] thanks so much for the advice!

We took both of our kids on vacation as infants but neither time was a cruise.

The biggest thing is the early nights! Be ready to spend a lot of time in your cabin. At 7 months you probably won't have to worry about your baby not being able to sit up, we would take turns eating while the other held the baby! If you are using a bottle, try to get the baby used to drinking room temp or cold formula. It's not always easy to warm a bottle when traveling, and it's just easier when you're in a hurry.

Good to know! Thankfully we booked a balcony cabin lol. He's breastfed so we're good there [emoji4]

Well allow me to introduce myself I'm Realistic Ralph, Negative Nancy is my sister. You, only want to hear the positive. Well you posted a question on a very public forum. So to keep you grounded and realistic as to what to expect.

Well expect the unexpected. It will not be relaxing,it will be a whirlwind of "Holy S#*t , why did we do this, what were we thinking!!!"

Hope you purchased trip insurance. God forbid finster baby gets an ear ache. That several hundred bucks at the infirmary.

Enjoy taking turns leaving the cabin, just to get a few moments of the taste of sweet freedom.

Romantic dinners. Haaaa.

Now, the positive aspects. Family bonding, memories, moments to capture on video "priceless". The look on your babies face when they see the nightly towel animal.

Do overthink. Just think. And enjoy the moments that any parent will tell you go by way too fast.

Lol, well hello there realistic ralph. I'm not looking for just the positive. I'm looking for tips and advice other than "dont take him on the cruise... That's disturbing to others who paid to go on vacation blah blah blah"

I appreciate your non negative nancy input [emoji39]

We will also be cruising with a baby for the first time in the near future. I am curious to hear anyones experiences specifically in terms of excursions. A lot of excursions require 1-2 travel time to get where you're going. Doable?

I'm not going to take him on any excursions, just to the beach. The kind of excursions we like to do are not baby friendly lol (snorkeling, etc).

Good luck! Let me know what you do [emoji4]

We find cruising with babies/infants/toddlers no more stressful than cruising just adults. About to go on our oldest daughters fifth cruise (she's 3 years old, her first was at 10 months) and youngest daughters second cruise (she just turned one her first was at 8 months) the one difference is we would go back to cabin earlier than previously to get the girls to bed. But we would bring books, card games, dvds and relax in the cabin and on the balcony. The one thing we miss- the solarium. You got great tips from the first few posters-

You know your baby better than anyone on here. Bring toys/entertainment for dinner- that can drag on. Some ships have smaller cabin doors and our britax didn't fit through the cabin door- umbrella stroller did. We babywear- ergo came in handy a lot!

We stick to schedules at home but our philosophy is vacation is a vacation for everyone- we usually get the girls back on their schedules within a few days.

As for excursions- when in US (port canaveral) we rented a car with a car seat. In Bahamas/Bermuda we brought our car seat with us and used the seat belt buckle. For beach excursions we brought sand toys and always rented a clam shell/umbrella for shade

Thanks for your input! Really helps [emoji4]

This thread came at perfect timing! We just booked a cruise last night for us and our (yet to be born) son for next October! He should be about 15 months old and we're starting the research now to make sure it's a great vacation for all of us! Good luck and please report back once you've sailed!

This thread came at perfect timing! We just booked a cruise last night for us and our (yet to be born) son for next October! He should be about 15 months old and we're starting the research now to make sure it's a great vacation for all of us! Good luck and please report back once you've sailed!

Nice! Ok will do [emoji6]

You mean October 2018? Or is this going to be a super child that skips months! ;) Only reason I caught it is because I'm also looking ahead to where I should book for the one currently in the oven.

For the OP just do it. We've cruised two times in last three years with our now 4 and 2 year old. There are going to be pluses and minuses but if I had it to do over again I we would do it just the same. In a few years the kids will be older we'll be able to take advantage of different aspects of the cruise and I'm sure we will go through many "remember whens...."