Notice to all flying from Amsterdam airport Schiphol this summer (2017)

We are booked on an SAS fight at 6:20 am. Will we still need to get to the airport 3 hours before the flight at this early in the morning?

Currently this is stated by KLM (the largest carrier at AMS);

Important travel information – Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Important notice for all travelers departing from Amsterdam: we ask you to be present at Schiphol Airport 2 hours (Europe) and 3 hours (intercontinental) before scheduled departure. This is due to capacity constraints and waiting times at the security of Schiphol Airport.

Depending on the date I would suggest a 4.30 arrival, there will be summer holiday peak times in the early morning with lots of charter flights and Schiphol funneling all the pax through Departures 1 in the early morning before 6ish o clock; passing immigration/security at no later than 5.00-5.30 and you are on the safe side.

Dutch military police/immigration announced that they will be recruiting retired personnel to handle the extra lines.

We flew out of AMS last summer and from the time we were dropped off in front of the terminal to the time we arrived at the departure gate it was over 1 1/2 hours. Long lines everywhere and multiple security check points. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second that! Longest, slowest-moving lines we've seen anywhere! We waited in the bag check line for an hour, then spent about another half hour getting out to our gate. And this was on an early Sunday morning!

We didn't have any issues flying out this morning (got there 3.5 hours early), but I definitely observed that even the smallest increase in passenger volume would cause delays.

We flew United but we walked by the special Delta processing area. I think United did that processing prior to checking your bag.

• 3 weeks later...

We departed Amsterdam yesterday, and I can confirm they still have really long lines for security and immigration. We were off the ship at 7.45am, took a taxi to the airport which took 20 minutes, and made out 10.15am flight without any problems ,.... but we have Eu passports, it would have been really tight with any other type of passport.

We departed Amsterdam yesterday, and I can confirm they still have really long lines for security and immigration. We were off the ship at 7.45am, took a taxi to the airport which took 20 minutes, and made out 10.15am flight without any problems ,.... but we have Eu passports, it would have been really tight with any other type of passport.

Do you know how soon you could have gotten off? (maybe answer is 745)...we have 1030am flight on Delta (usa passport) on sunday july 30th.

We are using Celebrities transfer to get to airport and used choice air...thinking that would/might help us if we don't make it in time...we don't have any checked luggage so that should help speed up process a little.

Do you know how soon you could have gotten off? (maybe answer is 745)...we have 1030am flight on Delta (usa passport) on sunday july 30th.

We are using Celebrities transfer to get to airport and used choice air...thinking that would/might help us if we don't make it in time...we don't have any checked luggage so that should help speed up process a little.

We could have got off 30 mins sooner if we had carried our own luggage off, so maybe that would work for you.

• 1 month later...

There's a short connection lane at Schiphol to leave the Schengen area (you will enter Schiphol at Lounge 1 and go through customs to the non Schengen area at that point), any possible hold up will be there, be sure to pick the right line (short connection flight numbers are mentioned on screens at the lines/custom booths). !

Does anyone have any experience with flying out of AMS on IcelandAir? For IcelandAir, you always have to change flights in Reyjkavik (which is inside Shengen). Upon departure we will already be in Amsterdam--not connecting from anywhere. So we will be flying from Shengen to Shengen. So the question is, do we do the extra US immigration check in AMS or in Reyjkavik? (My guess would be AMS).