Cuba money exchange - can I get info from those who sailed April 19?

Can anyone who was on the April 19 Empress Cuba trip comment about the money exchange in Cuba? I am specifically interested the process, long lines etc. We are sailing April 30 and have a stop in Cuba. We have an early excursion with RCCL and will need local currency. I know the US dollar and credit cards are not accepted in Cuba.

Thanks and I hope those on the sailing had a good time.

M

We did a land tour to Cuba in October.

We exchanged money at the airport but was told the first restaurant we went to would take US dollars.

A couple on our tour asked places if they would take US dollars and quite a few places did. The cigar shop and the market took US dollars.

I would not count on it but you can always try.

I know there is a money exchange in the cruise terminal. I guess my concern is that the ship docks at 8:30, that is the same time listed for our excursion. Doesn't leave much time for money exchange unless the excursion starts with all of us exchanging money.

If there is anyone reading this who took the first cruise to Cuba, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I just got off the inaugural sailing. You can't exchange money on the ship but there is a currency exchange on the second floor of the cruise terminal.

The excursion leaders ask that you don't hold up the group by exchanging money before the tour (of course someone in our group did anyway and we stood around waiting for them for 35 minutes).

Anywhere you need to use money during the tour will accept American currency at the standard exchange rate. At the end of the tour, you'll be dropped off at the cruise terminal where you can run in and exchange currency before leaving the terminal again to walk around, shop, or whatever you want to do.

Hotels will exchange money, of course, but don't assume the person who does it will be there when you arrive. We stopped at a hotel with our group and guide but the currency exchange person was gone and wouldn't be back for about an hour.

Everyone leaving the ship has to clear immigration. The buses carry 30-40 people. It takes a while for everyone to clear. If you're one of the first in your group, you'll have time, if one of the last you won't. From the time you leave the ship until the time you get on the bus- figure 45 minutes. We only went one place that took American money-the cigar place at the fort.

Anywhere you need to use money during the tour will accept American currency at the standard exchange rate. At the end of the tour, you'll be dropped off at the cruise terminal where you can run in and exchange currency before leaving the terminal again to walk around, shop, or whatever you want to do.

This is good to know. Thanks!

can anyone tell me the best tour to take while in cuba,we do not want to do the walking tour

We've been looking at the half-day tour. I keep considering booking a private car tour, but keep coming back to the half day "best of Havana" tour. That way, we can see some of the "touristy" sites, and then enjoy some time in Havana shopping and snacking. :)

Plenty of time to change in terminal. Most places would take Dollars. My advice would be don't Change money unless you have to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Were you on the inaugural cruise that just got back today and did you do an excursion?

I was, I did, and I am saying from personal experience that there is not time to exchange your money if you have booked an excursion that leaves shortly after the ship docks.

Can anyone who was on the April 19 Empress Cuba trip comment about the money exchange in Cuba? I am specifically interested the process, long lines etc. We are sailing April 30 and have a stop in Cuba. We have an early excursion with RCCL and will need local currency. I know the US dollar and credit cards are not accepted in Cuba.

Thanks and I hope those on the sailing had a good time.

M

i I contacted RCCL and was informed that the front desk can make the conversion.

i I contacted RCCL and was informed that the front desk can make the conversion.

Look, I hate to be the contrary person but I LITERALLY walked up to Guest Services with American currency and they would not, could not change it into CUC or pesos.

Were you on the inaugural cruise that just got back today and did you do an excursion?

I was, I did, and I am saying from personal experience that there is not time to exchange your money if you have booked an excursion that leaves shortly after the ship docks.

Yes I was and I was on the all day tour (44) on bus #3.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

I believe you were given incorrect information by RCCL. Guest Services can not change your money to CCU's. I was told the exact same thing by one employee and found out later that the information was dead wrong.

Look, I hate to be the contrary person but I LITERALLY walked up to Guest Services with American currency and they would not, could not change it into CUC or pesos.

Thanks for the heads up. Traveling to Cuba in November.