Living on a cruise ship?

grouchomarx

A longtime friend of mine received a "tip" of using a unit on The World from one of her clients. She used the tip for sailing the Dalmation Coast. She said it was "interesting." There are restaurants onboard and a little market. There are high-end clothes and jewelry stores. But, there was really little interaction among the others - it seemed that most entertained themselves in their units at night.

Sounds like some of the longer HAL cruises we have taken where a majority of the passengers are in their cabins by 9:30. But The World is more like a floating Condo complex then a cruise ships....which is by design. The folks that have paid for those units do not want the typical cruise ship entertainment...which has become mostly Karoke with most of the cast mouthing the words and sound tracks pre recorded. On the World you might have a piano bar entertainer...or they may bring aboard some decent local entertainment when in certain ports. We would love being able to lounge around the pool, all day, without a single announcement, MUTS, or lousy music blasting over speakers. And imagine a cruise without Bingo, trivia, art auctions, photographers, etc. Sounds like heaven to me.

Hank

We are planning on retiring in 4-5 years at 55-56. While I love cruising, I also love land vacations. Our plans are to sell off everything, downsize to a smaller new home in FL, and purchase a slightly used Class A 35' Motorhome. Using FL as our base camp then we will cruise, RV, or fly whenever and wherever the mood strikes us and our health allows us. We love to travel. Our oldest has already moved 16 hours away and I can't see the youngest sticking around MI once she gets her college degrees. I will happily travel to wherever they land to visit with them for a while. I can see DH's family and what's left of mine easily coming down to FL to visit us and with today's technology it is not hard to keep in face to face contact with those you love. We have found that out this past year with DS. I face time/messager him a couple times a week on Facebook. I just don't think I could limit myself to cruising only though and living on a ship full-time. There is still too much out there in just the USA alone that I want to see and do and I am looking forward to visiting Grandkids someday.

We had a 40ft. Class A MH and lived in it for 3 months during a move. We are definitely not full-timers with that size RV so I know we could never live on a cruise ship! We like room so we will keep our house and travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A longtime friend of mine received a "tip" of using a unit on The World from one of her clients. She used the tip for sailing the Dalmation Coast. She said it was "interesting." There are restaurants onboard and a little market. There are high-end clothes and jewelry stores. But, there was really little interaction among the others - it seemed that most entertained themselves in their units at night.

We never listed the World as a cruise ship we've sailed on because it never really seemed like a cruise. The report above kind of sums it up.

I read an article about a woman who has been living on the same cruise ship for several years.

She is considered as part of the crew by many of the members of the real crew.

You need to be in good health but other than that it seemed to be a great thing for her.

Right; clearly if in need of nursing care, a cruise ship is no alternative. But we met a couple on a cruise a few years back that did this as an 'assisted living' option. If they were on land they needed a home, utilities, groceries, and in home help to cook and clean. For their needs the cruise ship worked perfectly. Cooking and cleaning were the only assistance they needed. And can see how a single person traveling with a nurse could work well too. As long as you don't have major medical issues that would require frequent hospitalization. But many elderly people end up in situations requiring some to a lot of in home care. Can see a cruise being an option for that. I imagine you could negotiate the rate through a good TA. But, no, have trouble imagining it for someone who is able.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be great if it just cleaning, cooking, etc you need.

If you need more intensive assistance notunluss you've got a truck load of money.

The other issue would be that many need regular medical visits, even just minor issues, not sure how they deal with that.