Sky News No More - Replaced By BBC HD

megacruiser

No it was not you agreed with the two above you who never mentioned anything apart from "penny pinching "

And "P&O's race to the bottom"

Of course some people would not let the truth get in the way of their bad mouthing P&O at every opportunity.

And you agreed with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agreed, I am quite supportive of anyone who has discarded their rose tinted spectacles.;)

Thejuggler: Sounds like a good move to me. I'd rather have part of my P&O payment go to the BBC than Murdoch.

While my heart would totally agree with you, we are talking about a highly professional UK news programme which is only available from Sky at present for us Cruisers, I wish there was a similar BBC alternative....but until there is I am more than happy to have Sky News...its better than anything else available at present and most people are very pleased to have it by the sound of it.The Sky v BBC point is mute because they aint the same type of programming.

Agreed Barrie, the BBC world programme is best watched without sound.:cool:

An apology from P&O on Facebook:

Hi Stephen, for clarification we do not have any plans to drop Sky News from the TV channel list. We are in the process of extending the range of Satellite TV channels available to guests and during the transition period some ships have access to the new channels whilst we are awaiting upgrades to TV distribution networks. This means that for now, on these ships, a choice has to be made which channels are offered and which not. It appears that a guest on board Azura decided to swap Sky News for BBC HD part way through the cruise and was then given incorrect information regarding this, for which we can only apologise. We do hope this helps to clarify 1f642.png

Well there we are then, it appears on some Ship(s) there is not enough bandwidth at present to accomodate all the Channels available but you are given a "opting in or out" choice of sorts.:confused:

T'is a pity a Ship board Comms Officer did not "Communicate" this very well leading to this thread being started

(and giving us a bit of fun on here;):)) but it is good news and I am glad its now sorted and fair crack to P&O for an apology and clarification.:cool:

Many thanks to Megacruiser for raising this issue, hopefully it will save some passengers from choosing the wrong option without realising there is a limitation of sorts on what is available on some Ship(s) at present.

Edited by barriead
Grammar

I do wonder if those who were very vocal about how bad P&O were as they were penny pinching, will now come on and say they were wrong as it looks like they are in fact extending the service.

And another big pink thing flies past the window.

Hi Stephen, for clarification we do not have any plans to drop Sky News from the TV channel list. We are in the process of extending the range of Satellite TV channels available to guests and during the transition period some ships have access to the new channels whilst we are awaiting upgrades to TV distribution networks. This means that for now, on these ships, a choice has to be made which channels are offered and which not. It appears that a guest on board Azura decided to swap Sky News for BBC HD part way through the cruise and was then given incorrect information regarding this, for which we can only apologise. We do hope this helps to clarify 1f642.png

Well there we are then, it appears on some Ship(s) there is not enough bandwidth at present to accomodate all the Channels available but you are given a "opting in or out" choice of sorts.:confused:

T'is a pity a Ship board Comms Officer did not "Communicate" this very well leading to this thread being started

(and giving us a bit of fun on here;):)) but it is good news and I am glad its now sorted and fair crack to P&O for an apology and clarification.:cool:

Many thanks to Megacruiser for raising this issue, hopefully it will save some passengers from choosing the wrong option without realising there is a limitation of sorts on what is available on some Ship(s) at present.

Good to get the actual facts. Well done Barriehead.

Many thanks for the clarification Barrie I wonder if there are some other channels available that would enable us to obtain a more personal choice, I could readily swap BBC World and maybe even CNN if other sport channels like ESPN were available?

Dai, having very limited channel availability as well as those teeny weeny wrong shaped TV screens on Azura/Ventura still seems a bit like penny pinching to me,

Many thanks for the clarification Barrie I wonder if there are some other channels available that would enable us to obtain a more personal choice, I could readily swap BBC World and maybe even CNN if other sport channels like ESPN were available?

Dai, having very limited channel availability as well as those teeny weeny wrong shaped TV screens on Azura/Ventura still seems a bit like penny pinching to me,

John put your wooden spoon away.

The TV sizes available on some of the Ship(s) is dire...I say this purely from the point of my eyesight not being brilliant....Azura and Aurora are my next 2 cruises and they have small screens....Oriana is unforgiveable really...recent refit and the worst TVs in P&Os very poor armoury still on there....I feel a moany groany thread coming on.:evilsmile::)

Errr...sorry for going off topic

Many thanks for posting this. Armed with this information I visited Reception yesterday afternoon. Contact was made with the Communications Officer by phone. I asked to speak with him but my request was denied.

After some further discussion, the Reception Manager appeared from the back office. He repeated the misinformation from before that Sky News has been removed fleetwide.

I implored him to check the Facebook response from P&O and to reinstate Sky News as soon as possible. If insufficient bandwidth available then I suggested substituting it in place of BBC World which has provided minimal British news and no General Election coverage.

Between 6pm and 7pm last night Sky News was reinstated and BBC World removed. A brief message was left on my cabin phone apologising for "any inconvenience".

I wish to express regret that I passed on information that subsequently proved to be incorrect. It was done in good faith. Not based simply on a reply from Reception but following two requests for an explanation which was obtained from a Communications Officer. Let's hope it was a genuine misunderstanding on his part and not simply an attempt to fob off passengers.

Between 6pm and 7pm last night Sky News was reinstated and BBC World removed. A brief message was left on my cabin phone apologising for "any inconvenience".

I wish to express regret that I passed on information that subsequently proved to be incorrect. It was done in good faith. Not based simply on a reply from Reception but following two requests for an explanation which was obtained from a Communications Officer. Let's hope it was a genuine misunderstanding on his part and not simply an attempt to fob off passengers.

With regard to your last statement this is a major bugbear of mine. People who give you a story to get rid of you. It happens in many places.

This sounds like a classic example.

Thank you for your post.

Many thanks for posting this. Armed with this information I visited Reception yesterday afternoon. Contact was made with the Communications Officer by phone. I asked to speak with him but my request was denied.

After some further discussion, the Reception Manager appeared from the back office. He repeated the misinformation from before that Sky News has been removed fleetwide.

I implored him to check the Facebook response from P&O and to reinstate Sky News as soon as possible. If insufficient bandwidth available then I suggested substituting it in place of BBC World which has provided minimal British news and no General Election coverage.

We have discussed on other threads customer service on P&O and how great it is, but, I've often said it is things like this that let them down - where there is a process or change and they don't deal with the passenger perspective very well. Anyway, enjoy what's left of your cruise - I'm boarding Azura on Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sorting that out Megacruiser, it will help on our upcoming Azura cruise in 2 weeks to know that TV channels can be changed if we need it.

Hope the new Channel options suit the majority. Be aware there is no option to choose channels for each cabin. The only way it can be changed is by replacing one channel for the entire ship.

Hope the new Channel options suit the majority. Be aware there is no option to choose channels for each cabin. The only way it can be changed is by replacing one channel for the entire ship.

So it was the ship that changed the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With regard to your last statement this is a major bugbear of mine. People who give you a story to get rid of you. It happens in many places.

This sounds like a classic example.

Thank you for your post.

Dai, could this be a first from you, a criticism of something on P&O?;)

Just returned on Aurora today and both BBC HD and Sky News were being shown. In fact Sky News was being shown on the screen in the lounge when we were waiting to disembark. Sky News was available all week as I made a point of watching it before turning in for the night.

Just returned on Aurora today and both BBC HD and Sky News were being shown. In fact Sky News was being shown on the screen in the lounge when we were waiting to disembark. Sky News was available all week as I made a point of watching it before turning in for the night.

Good news...I am on her in December...not looking forward to the mini TV size...but will at least hear the UK News...did make a note to myself "try not to keep moaning about the pathetic TV sizes on some Ships"...but then I changed my mind....hopefully somebody at P&O is getting the message.:D:D

Good news...I am on her in December...not looking forward to the mini TV size...but will at least hear the UK News...did make a note to myself "try not to keep moaning about the pathetic TV sizes on some Ships"...but then I changed my mind....hopefully somebody at P&O is getting the message.:D:D

It was only my second cruise and after sailing on Britannia last year the size of the TV was a let down along with a few other things to be honest. Nothing massive but niggly little things which tended to mark the cruise down a little. I am wondering whether or not to do a review as it really was only tiny things and I don't want to seem to be moaning over nothing. I think I may leave it a few days to see how I feel then. Overall I would give Aurora 4/5 as she's a beautiful ship with style where Britannia was a big hotel with great service and I would give her 5/5

I would cruise on Aurora again like a shot but if another were available on the same itinerary and dates then I would look at them first before booking. Having said that she is lovely and we had a great holiday

It was only my second cruise and after sailing on Britannia last year the size of the TV was a let down along with a few other things to be honest. Nothing massive but niggly little things which tended to mark the cruise down a little. I am wondering whether or not to do a review as it really was only tiny things and I don't want to seem to be moaning over nothing. I think I may leave it a few days to see how I feel then. Overall I would give Aurora 4/5 as she's a beautiful ship with style where Britannia was a big hotel with great service and I would give her 5/5

I would cruise on Aurora again like a shot but if another were available on the same itinerary and dates then I would look at them first before booking. Having said that she is lovely and we had a great holiday

A balanced review I would say! I wanted to try Aurora this year but holiday dates didn't work out at work (:rolleyes:) so I'm going on Britannia! Bit of a difference I know but I wanted to try her too while she was still relatively new! Too many ships, not enough holiday!;)

Good for you for persevering! Glad to know we should have Sky news on our next cruise, I don't blame you at all for passing on this information, it was what you were told.

A balanced review I would say! I wanted to try Aurora this year but holiday dates didn't work out at work (:rolleyes:) so I'm going on Britannia! Bit of a difference I know but I wanted to try her too while she was still relatively new! Too many ships, not enough holiday!;)

Ok I will do a very balanced review of Aurora in the next few days and will post it both on this p&o forum and in reviews. We are doing a short cruise on Britannia later this year or early next as my wife likes Aurora but didn't come with me on Britannia. We will then book for our 50th in 2019..........but which ship? Only time will tell :)

I thought I had read a press release, or similar, from P&O over a year ago in which they said that the stateroom TV's would be upgraded to large flat screen TV's progressively as the ships were having their 5 yearly refurbish; but a couple have been in since then without getting new TV's installed, so maybe they changed their minds, or I was dreaming.