Bringing things to locals

sailsalot

So do they get to keep cash tips? Not sure I completely understand how this economy works.

of course they do

Most Cubans who are not in business for themselves (business for themselves= those who run casas particulares/BnBs or restaurants, a very recent phenomenon), usually have a job (in any field from doctors to steel workers to clerks) that is paid by the government. They all get paid the same small monthly salary, and also get a basic food basket for free, and subsidized utilities and rent.

If Cubans are employed in the tourism sector, many employers are international companies (hotels/resorts) or some are privately owned by Cubans (some restaurants, but some are gov't run; some classic cars/taxis, but some are gov't owned and leased).

Just like anywhere else, waiters and chambermaids, etc. are given tips by visitors and can keep them.

In previous times (particularly in the 1990s just after the Soviets stopped helping prop up the Cuban economy), certain items were in very short supply, so foreign visitors began tipping with dollar store junk, which at that time had value in Cuba. Now that is not the case.

Hope that helps you understand the economy in Cuba a bit better.

Most Cubans who are not in business for themselves (business for themselves= those who run casas particulares/BnBs or restaurants, a very recent phenomenon), usually have a job (in any field from doctors to steel workers to clerks) that is paid by the government. They all get paid the same small monthly salary, and also get a basic food basket for free, and subsidized utilities and rent.

If Cubans are employed in the tourism sector, many employers are international companies (hotels/resorts) or some are privately owned by Cubans (some restaurants, but some are gov't run; some classic cars/taxis, but some are gov't owned and leased).

Just like anywhere else, waiters and chambermaids, etc. are given tips by visitors and can keep them.

In previous times (particularly in the 1990s just after the Soviets stopped helping prop up the Cuban economy), certain items were in very short supply, so foreign visitors began tipping with dollar store junk, which at that time had value in Cuba. Now that is not the case.

Hope that helps you understand the economy in Cuba a bit better.

Thanks - i would like to visit Cuba, but I wanted to make sure the people I tip really do get to keep the money and not turn part or all back to the government.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed our driver/ tour guide about bringing gifts of brushes for artist and music stuff for musicians , his reply was " the street artist and musicians" may appreciate it.

I definitely realized what previous posters have said and I have come to understand over travels around the world, most folks are proud of themselves, their lifestyles,accomplishment and don't want handouts. On that note: Would you want to show visitors the underprivileged parts of your community? Nor do they.

Cubas arts world is quite accomplished, so much so that it is doubtful that I would be able to purchase an artwork to bring home other than what a street artist has to offer.

Good for them, not for me!

A

I emailed our driver/ tour guide about bringing gifts of brushes for artist and music stuff for musicians , his reply was " the street artist and musicians" may appreciate it.

I definitely realized what previous posters have said and I have come to understand over travels around the world, most folks are proud of themselves, their lifestyles,accomplishment and don't want handouts. On that note: Would you want to show visitors the underprivileged parts of your community? Nor do they.

Cubas arts world is quite accomplished, so much so that it is doubtful that I would be able to purchase an artwork to bring home other than what a street artist has to offer.

Good for them, not for me!

A

You may find that your expectations about "street artists and musicians", based on that email, other destinations and professional video, may not be the reality you find. Art is sold in stores or stalls in warehouses. I did not see the kind of street fairs in parks that we have seen in other places. Some of the print making studios have stores attached. The artists are likely not the people tending the store/stall in these cases.

Musicians play in restaurants and clubs. I did not see buskers or street musicians, or neighbors jamming in the street outside homes. YMMV

I believe these arrangements (other than a jam) are all regulated by the government.

You can probably find nice small prints for under 100 CUC. I saw some in several places around Vieja. The sometimes badly done car paintings go for 12-35 CUC.

Perhaps you can arrange to drop off brushes or strings/mouthpieces at the office of an art or music school.

Or perhaps you could request the guide get in contact with an artist whose work you have liked on lahabana.com to allow you to visit his/her studio, and give brushes to him/her. However, the artists who are selling, are now selling in Europe and elsewhere worldwide, and get to travel to openings, and buy the equipment of their choice with their considerable earnings.

I'm sure your guide was trying to be amenable. All that stuff has value sold on the secondary market, so I'm sure it would be accepted and "appreciated" as extra income for anyone.

On the ship's tour The Art of Cuba, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, I bought an interesting handmade ceramic tile done by Jose Rodriguez Fuster ($30) at his home in Jaimanitas and a gorgeous print of a hummingbird ($40) directly from the artist at the art project center at Muraleando. I figured they would get the greatest benefit from the purchase. However, looking at them again, perhaps I did.

Art

.....handmade ceramic tile done by Jose Rodriguez Fuster ($30) at his home in Jaimanitas

The unique Fusterlandia (pronounced foo-ter-lahn-ja) is an interesting addition to a tour of Havana. You can take a taxi (if not on a tour already). Lots of photos online.

Did that tour take you to Callejon de Hamel too?

Or travel to a place where those items are needed(Haiti perhaps, Liberia, etc). You are contributing to creating a culture of beggars. It is actually very selfish, not generous at all.......also appreciate how offensive this attitude of ''noblesse oblige'' adopted by ill informed tourists really IS !!"

For someone who thinks they know the right thing to do in foreign countries (although I doubt if you're a Cuban citizen) you are DEAD WRONG by stating that people should hand out freebies to the citizens of Haiti!!! Despite their poverty, we do not need to encourage them to have a "welfare mentality" and learn to beg for a living! Two of my daughters lived there for several years and that was one of the first things they were taught when they arrived - they should assist the people of Haiti to learn how to be able to provide for their own families and not rely on taking things from others. Most Haitians will sternly correct their children if they try to beg for "stuff" from tourists. Haitians are also proud of their families and culture, so PLEASE do not encourage tourists to hand out stuff to those they meet. Instead, patronize their businesses so they can make an honest living. If you want to give monetary support, there are numerous missions and charities you can contribute to that will use the money to drill fresh water wells, build and run schools and orphanages.

For someone who thinks they know the right thing to do in foreign countries (although I doubt if you're a Cuban citizen) you are DEAD WRONG by stating that people should hand out freebies to the citizens of Haiti!!! Despite their poverty, we do not need to encourage them to have a "welfare mentality" and learn to beg for a living! Two of my daughters lived there for several years and that was one of the first things they were taught when they arrived - they should assist the people of Haiti to learn how to be able to provide for their own families and not rely on taking things from others. Most Haitians will sternly correct their children if they try to beg for "stuff" from tourists. Haitians are also proud of their families and culture, so PLEASE do not encourage tourists to hand out stuff to those they meet. Instead, patronize their businesses so they can make an honest living. If you want to give monetary support, there are numerous missions and charities you can contribute to that will use the money to drill fresh water wells, build and run schools and orphanages.

Thank you for correcting my ideas about Haiti with your daughters' first hand experiences.

The point of my remark was, of course, that Cuban people do not need to be taught to beg by tourists handing out cheap items indiscriminately. And that they are fairly well off in comparison with those on other islands nearby.

Excuse my incorrect information about conditions in Haiti.

Apparently they too do not need items like the hair scrunchies and promotional pens that those uninformed about Cuba often mention wishing to bring to hand out to all and sundry as they stroll through the streets.

I had seen a couple of documentaries about women in the countryside of Haiti who provide for their own families with businesses making "cookies" out of mud to sell to those so poor that's all they can afford to fill their stomachs.

From that, and other reading and research, as well as talking with friends who visit relatives in Haiti despite their credible fears of being violently relieved of any money they bring to help, I concluded that the poverty in Haiti is at a level far below that seen currently in Cuba.

My impression was that Haitian culture had been all but destroyed by war and corruption and natural disaster.

Cuba's GDP is around $80 billion US (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cubans-worry-trump-could-dash-island-s-economic-hopes-1.3937907)

Haiti's GDP is around $8.77 billion US (https://tradingeconomics.com/haiti/gdp)

So perhaps, as you seem to say, I am DEAD WRONG and conditions in Haiti are not dire at all, and all those tourists currently flocking to Haiti because of its beauty and beaches, should instead go forth from their resorts and buy mud cookies to support those critical local businesses.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Or travel to a place where those items are needed(Haiti perhaps, Liberia, etc)

..you are DEAD WRONG by stating that people should hand out freebies to the citizens of Haiti!!!

Did I actually say that tourists should hand out freebies in Haiti? Or was that a conclusion you chose to jump to?

My intended point was that tourists should not assume that Cuba is poor in comparison with Haiti (or Liberia).

And as to the point I was making about relative poverty:

Cuba's GDP is around $80 billion US for a population of 11.82 million

Haiti's GDP is around $8.77 billion US for a population of 10.6 million

Liberia's GDP is around $4 billion US for a population of 4.5 million

sources: (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cubans-worry-trump-could-dash-island-s-economic-hopes-1.3937907) (https://tradingeconomics.com/haiti/gdp) (yahoo)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

The unique Fusterlandia (pronounced foo-ter-lahn-ja) is an interesting addition to a tour of Havana. You can take a taxi (if not on a tour already). Lots of photos online.

Did that tour take you to Callejon de Hamel too?

Fusterlandia is indeed interesting. Sort of like art on steroids.

No the tour did not go to Callejon de Hamel. I wish!

Art

Thank you for correcting my ideas about Haiti with your daughters' first hand experiences.

The point of my remark was, of course, that Cuban people do not need to be taught to beg by tourists handing out cheap items indiscriminately. And that they are fairly well off in comparison with those on other islands nearby.

Excuse my incorrect information about conditions in Haiti.

Apparently they too do not need items like the hair scrunchies and promotional pens that those uninformed about Cuba often mention wishing to bring to hand out to all and sundry as they stroll through the streets.

I had seen a couple of documentaries about women in the countryside of Haiti who provide for their own families with businesses making "cookies" out of mud to sell to those so poor that's all they can afford to fill their stomachs.

From that, and other reading and research, as well as talking with friends who visit relatives in Haiti despite their credible fears of being violently relieved of any money they bring to help, I concluded that the poverty in Haiti is at a level far below that seen currently in Cuba.

My impression was that Haitian culture had been all but destroyed by war and corruption and natural disaster.

Cuba's GDP is around $80 billion US (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cubans-worry-trump-could-dash-island-s-economic-hopes-1.3937907)

Haiti's GDP is around $8.77 billion US (https://tradingeconomics.com/haiti/gdp)

So perhaps, as you seem to say, I am DEAD WRONG and conditions in Haiti are not dire at all, and all those tourists currently flocking to Haiti because of its beauty and beaches, should instead go forth from their resorts and buy mud cookies to support those critical local businesses.

I was stating that Haitians (like Cubans) do not benefit from freebies and handouts. Encouraging them to beg or solicit handouts keeps them locked into poverty.

Although Haiti is the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, many Haitians work. Their pay is usually low, but they try to provide for their families. Many are farmers, make charcoal for cooking, or do construction. They have a proud culture, just like all nations. Many still practice voo-doo but there are a huge amount of Christians. There are no public schools so Christian missions run inexpensive schools for the children.

I've supported 4 children and put them through school. Each one is working and one moved to the USA (legally).

To really help the very poor in Haiti, contribute to a mission and they will educate or give vocational training or make no interest home loans or business loans to families. :D

I was stating that Haitians (like Cubans) do not benefit from freebies and handouts. Encouraging them to beg or solicit handouts keeps them locked into poverty.

I get that and I never told anyone to do so.

I believe that in your fervor to advocate for Haitians, you jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

Any mention of Haiti was a factual comparison with so-called poverty in Cuba.

Although Haiti is the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, many Haitians work. Their pay is usually low, but they try to provide for their families. Many are farmers, make charcoal for cooking, or do construction. They have a proud culture, just like all nations. Many still practice voo-doo but there are a huge amount of Christians. There are no public schools so Christian missions run inexpensive schools for the children.

And Cubans have a proud culture as well.

They are comparatively well off in comparison to many of their neighbors, in contrast to the preconceptions of some.

I've supported 4 children and put them through school. Each one is working and one moved to the USA (legally).

I admire your dedication. Very lucky children to have you in their lives.

To really help the very poor in Haiti, contribute to a mission and they will educate or give vocational training or make no interest home loans or business loans to families. :D

And the same idea for Cuba (where education and housing is taken care of already). Bring a big duffel bag full of over the counter and prescription medications, that are occasionally lacking during the common fluctuations/shortages of items, and donate them to a religious organization or hospital.

Just a thought. How would you feel if a stranger from another country comes up to your kid, who is hanging out with his buddies, and gives them a toy because they looked poor.

Now imagine if a stranger comes up to you, and hands you some pens or random trinket because they think you looked like you needed a pen.

They, Cubans, live in a unique culture, and how they live and thrive are part of their culture. However, all humans, have pride, and most might find it slightly insulting if some "rich" American starts handing out toys to my kids.

I tip in cash, and donate to organizations that help those in need. I let them determine how to handle the donations.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an announcement from the CubaLivro (the cafe/bookstore, at Calle19 and 24 in Vedado, of Connor Gorry, an American woman living in Havana) page on Facebook, with a couple of other charities that you might consider:

"We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our supporters who make our donation programs possible.

Last week we initiated 2 new programs: to the Dora Alonso School for Autistic Children and to the Therapeutic Clowns of Cuba/William Soler Pediatric Cancer Ward.

Here are photos from 10-year old Dario's birthday party at the latter, where we we (and you!!) were present in spirit. GRACIAS!! "

19884376_1382077831877642_2570826338904214083_n.jpg?oh=e60e3117ffffad8a3de0e361da6d7b7f&oe=59C61549

19894887_1382079201877505_8354739937131005320_n.jpg?oh=4eb0160c4094b6ed2726b9a2b1e1ff6f&oe=59C53287

20108344_1382080508544041_3158989781285058069_n.jpg?oh=fdee1986c9fba864bdcbafdb7cbfcb5f&oe=59CA2B66

19990097_1382083031877122_1504587744137475231_n.jpg?oh=5fa7f91c33411b8300f94260b6965f0b&oe=5A0D6444

When we were in Cuba we stayed at a resort, so it was a little different. We didn't walk around with bags of stuff to be handed out. That would be really awkward and they aren't walking around looking for hand-outs.

Humanitarian aid aside, they don't have a lot of luxuries there. People who make tips have more spending money for extra stuff. We left our maid a tip and a small gift daily, like a Reese's pb egg (it was Easter week), a lip balm, etc. These aren't things you just walk around throwing at people, but in a resort setting it seemed more natural to leave a token. Our favourite waitress in the dining room appreciated the tip and some boxed candies which she said her kids were overjoyed to get. Our tour guide told us he really likes American (or Canadian) toothpaste. He says what they get in Cuba isn't very good. If you are mainly on tours you should probably just give cash. But if you want to carry around extra stuff just in case then they seem to appreciate candy or pencil crayons/colouring books for kids, toothpaste, lip balm, hand cream, etc. for adults.

The Cuban people have everything they need, but not much in the way of extras.

....appreciated .... some boxed candies which she said her kids were overjoyed to get. Our tour guide told us he really likes American (or Canadian) toothpaste. .... they seem to appreciate candy or pencil crayons/colouring books for kids, toothpaste, lip balm, hand cream, etc. for adults.

Yeah, these are all easily sold on the black market for the cash they can actually use to buy necessities.

• 7 months later...

Why is it that people are so often ATTACKED for simple questions or opinions on cruisecritic? The woman was well-intentioned. If you think she was misinformed, couldn't she be corrected in a polite manner out of respect for her intentions? It goes from telling her she's insulting people to telling her she will responsible for the failure of an entire culture. Please.

I get that and I never told anyone to do so.

I believe that in your fervor to advocate for Haitians, you jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

Any mention of Haiti was a factual comparison with so-called poverty in Cuba.

And Cubans have a proud culture as well.

They are comparatively well off in comparison to many of their neighbors, in contrast to the preconceptions of some.

I admire your dedication. Very lucky children to have you in their lives.

And the same idea for Cuba (where education and housing is taken care of already). Bring a big duffel bag full of over the counter and prescription medications, that are occasionally lacking during the common fluctuations/shortages of items, and donate them to a religious organization or hospital.

I would be very careful about bringing drugs and distributing them. Did you know aspirin is a prescription drug there?