How do you stand the wait???

I spend WWAAYYYYYYY too much time on here to pass the time! We only booked 77 days out, so the wait won't be too bad. But I get a bit obsessed.

Good! Because I feel obsessed right now :D

you need to start checking prices of cruises every day if you arent now. even using travel agent sites to see about their extra deals like free grats etc. when i got back from my 1st cruise i incessantly looked for my next cruise starting the next day. i had spent a lot of money for a suite because i thought it would be a once and done thing for a while. but that wasnt the case. i was able to rope a friend and her kids into going with me less than 2 months later on a very cheap bahamas cruise so that was a lot of fun. and ever since then i just read read read. you will learn the pricing and be booked again in no time. definitely research the ports of call forum and find out what to do there.

if you are daring, take a peek at the cruises for next year to get something cheap. the royal loft suite is still available the end of next year on the anthem for just 10K to bermuda. i'm digging in my sofa cushions as we speak.

I do most of what all the other posters do: scour CruiseCritic and TripAdvisor (can I mention them?) for information on the ships and ports, renew our passports so they have 6 months life post cruise and make a binder for each cruise so all the info I find is in one place. Our next cruise was next February. We are planning to take a trip to Florida in late August before my son goes back to school. Since our second home in FL is near Orlando, I looked at Port Canaveral and Tampa cruises for that time (I guess I have become a cruise junkie!). I found a 4 day Empress cruise that had one of my wife's favorite places (Key West) AND a place on her bucket list (Cuba). So we booked the cruise. Moral of the story: we now have a cruise much closer to happening and I have a whole new cruise to research and plan. When we get done with our Empress cruise, our Oasis cruise will be that much closer.

This has nothing to do with filling the wait void, but once you are on board check with the Next Cruise desk for reduced deposit and OBC options. We were able to book two cruises with $25 per person deposits and nice on board credits while on board. If you wind up not being able to go you are not out very much but you have something to start planning for when you get back.

We always say the second the car backs out of the driveway the vacation is over. The anticipation starts and it seems a lifetime until time to go. Once you hit the 100 day out mark it starts to speed up. If there is a cruise cam you can watch your ship come in and leave. We always say so many more times out and it's our turn as we watch it! Then the day arrives and we are backing out the driveway. We blink and we are pulling back in!

We have journals that we write in and a few weeks before as we are packing, we start reading our journals. We always forget about the stuff we wrote about and reading them makes us happy and excited!

I always make these little paper thank you notes that I wrap around my tips. I put them on my money and attach them with those little colored clothes pins. That helps pass the time!

I love these ideas! The journalling sounds wonderful! So you do the journaling while you're on a cruise and then look at it just before you go again? Thank you so much for that thoughtful plan! I think I would like very much to do that. I always like looking at my past vacation pictures before I go on vacation again so it's similar. Love it! I like the notes idea too! I'll have to see what that is like but I'm guessing I will really enjoy cruising and this is only the beginning for me so I can definitely try that one out in the future.

Nice to meet you! :)

Lisa

I remember how excited I was when I booked my first cruise. It was like stepping into the unknown. I was nervous and excited at the same time. The excitement has never gone away no matter how many more cruises I have been on. I am about to take my 8th cruise and am just as excited as I was before my first one.

I pass the time by coming to CC and reading the posts. I really enjoy reading the trip reports of the people who have been on the cruise ship I am going on next. I love seeing all of the pictures.

I also go over all of the excursions and have fun picking them or deciding to just wing it. I've got two cruises coming up this year. I usually book a cruise shortly after getting off of the ship because I can't stand not having something booked. Cruises are just so much fun. My husband feels the same way, so it's perfect. We've decided that it's our favorite way to spend a vacation.

I'm starting to feel similarly already!! Uh oh :)

I do most of what all the other posters do: scour CruiseCritic and TripAdvisor (can I mention them?) for information on the ships and ports, renew our passports so they have 6 months life post cruise and make a binder for each cruise so all the info I find is in one place. Our next cruise was next February. We are planning to take a trip to Florida in late August before my son goes back to school. Since our second home in FL is near Orlando, I looked at Port Canaveral and Tampa cruises for that time (I guess I have become a cruise junkie!). I found a 4 day Empress cruise that had one of my wife's favorite places (Key West) AND a place on her bucket list (Cuba). So we booked the cruise. Moral of the story: we now have a cruise much closer to happening and I have a whole new cruise to research and plan. When we get done with our Empress cruise, our Oasis cruise will be that much closer.

Thanks Starrcards! What info do you put into your binder? (If I may ask)

Lisa

I saved for a year and THEN booked at about 18 months out as soon as it was available...i still have 136 days left to wait, as of today. I've reached a weird level of cruise anticipation insanity at this point. My poor husband is so tired of looking at things i print to show him. I send him a text message each day of how many days left. Each morning I log into the RCL website to see whats new to buy or book. At this point, i've run out of things to book lol I've started locating all the pieces of luggage we own that are scattered about the house and i've been mentally packing for about three weeks now. I usually spend my lunch on cruise critic each day looking for tips for what to bring and where to find the "good spots" on the ship, and I hope to remember everything but I probably wont. At the very least, lifes normal little distractions help pass the time when i run out of daily cruise things to obsess over.

I saved for a year and THEN booked at about 18 months out as soon as it was available...i still have 136 days left to wait, as of today. I've reached a weird level of cruise anticipation insanity at this point. My poor husband is so tired of looking at things i print to show him. I send him a text message each day of how many days left. Each morning I log into the RCL website to see whats new to buy or book. At this point, i've run out of things to book lol I've started locating all the pieces of luggage we own that are scattered about the house and i've been mentally packing for about three weeks now. I usually spend my lunch on cruise critic each day looking for tips for what to bring and where to find the "good spots" on the ship, and I hope to remember everything but I probably wont. At the very least, lifes normal little distractions help pass the time when i run out of daily cruise things to obsess over.

Hahaha.. Wow! You all are really making me feel a lot better about my own obsession :) I like all of these things because I feel that I've done the same. How many cruises have you been on? We have just about the same amount of time to wait as I'm currently at 139 days! and yes, my SO is pretty tired of me too :D Nice to meet you, ladysummermoon!

Lisa N

Hahaha.. Wow! You all are really making me feel a lot better about my own obsession :) I like all of these things because I feel that I've done the same. How many cruises have you been on? We have just about the same amount of time to wait as I'm currently at 139 days! and yes, my SO is pretty tired of me too :D Nice to meet you, ladysummermoon!

Lisa N

This is only my second cruise....first one was in 2001....i guess im good at biding my time between cruises! Husbands first cruise...he promises to start getting excited in July lol I've also taken to looking at the ports on google maps to figure out where the ships actually dock and if there is a brewery/brew pub within walking distance. I basically lost my mind when google updated one picture and there were now three cruise ships in the port. Its the little things in life.....lol

This is only my second cruise....first one was in 2001....i guess im good at biding my time between cruises! Husbands first cruise...he promises to start getting excited in July lol I've also taken to looking at the ports on google maps to figure out where the ships actually dock and if there is a brewery/brew pub within walking distance. I basically lost my mind when google updated one picture and there were now three cruise ships in the port. Its the little things in life.....lol

Ha ha ha!! This is terrific :D And I feel you with the July.... I hope I can get mine excited by then :D Google is a great plan too - thanks!

Our last cruise was booked 16 months in advance.

For our next one, we booked our cruise in Mar 2017 for Mar 2019 so that's a 24 month wait. It's a long wait, but cruise critic certainly helps...living through others reviews and researching ports, etc.

In this case we have a vacation planned for end of summer (not a cruise) so that helps. Once that comes, we'll have to wait a year and a half so year...long wait with nothing. But I kind of like the anticipation with something to look forward to.

Thanks Starrcards! What info do you put into your binder? (If I may ask)

Lisa

Generally the tabs run as follows:

Flights: Copies of ticket confirmations

Before Cruise Destination: Pre-cruise hotel confirmation and info on sightseeing (if appropriate) and

. restaurant reviews.

Cruise (generally the largest tab): Sea pass paperwork, cruise receipt and receipts for any purchases

(drinks, excursions, dining). Copy of trip insurance plan and any other info I want about the ship

or cruise

Ports of call: One tab for each port with port info including places to see and snack/lunch spots

Departure/return: Any reservations for post-cruise transportation or rental car. We normally return

home right after the cruise but any post-cruise activity info would go here.

I bring the binder with me so I have any information at hand. I also include color copies of or passports.

Hope this helps.

no no no. you book then hope you save enough :)

regarding you hoping to remember stuff: just start a spreadsheet. doesnt have to be organized at first. just copy and paste the tip you read on CC into it and then sort into dining/ship/tours etc. i subscribe to threads here on CC but its hard to go back and see what you wanted to remember. easier to copy and paste as you go along.

u sound like you'd make the perfect wife, logging in every day to see if there are sales and i'm sure you check pricing to see if it went down too.

I am SO THANKFUL for this thread and Cruise Critic overall. I also just booked my first cruise for departure in September. Adventure of the Seas on September 9th to the ABCs! As you can tell from my handle, I have become completely obsessed and spend far too much time researching. My boyfriend it completely the opposite - he says he will become excited the day before we leave. He also thinks I "over analyze" but I don't want to miss any deals or awesome activities.

Since I know I am not alone now, I am going to embrace the obsession for the fun it is. I am seriously considering putting a deposit down on a cruise my Uncle invited me to on February 2018 (his invitation is what initiated me booking this one). I just wonder if I should wait to see if I will enjoy cruising before doing that? I am almost positive it is going to be just as amazing as I imagine it will be. It is on Norwegian Epic and they have single studios that look awesome.

Anyway, I am glad to be in good company and am already planning on writing up a newbie's first cruise review with MANY pictures of the things I am curious about and which I so appreciate when people share!

Hello ResearchObsessed! Lol yes your handle fits well!! :) I was just thinking today how nice it would be to know another group that takes cruises so I can plan a future one as well. I'm jealous of your opportunity! I've heard several people say they don't mind putting down a small deposit when they have a good opportunity because it's usually worth securing a good spot even if there's a small chance you can't go. And it's sounding to me like your chances of enjoying yourself are much greater! :) so I say go for it! For what that's worth lol. I'm sure you could spend some time researching that ship here and talking to others that have been on it and seeing what these veteran cruisers think as well. They all know so much!

I'm glad to have someone else to be so excited with :) nice to meet you!!!

Lisa n

Sent from my iPhone using Forums