Flying into Miami vs. FLL and departing flight tickets and Taxi advice

blnorman

Hello CC members,

I am currently having a little dilemma about an upcoming fall cruise. This trip is for two adults and two children ages 6, and 7. First, my dilemma was should I fly into Miami vs. Fort Lauderdale. I still have both options as I haven't purchased my airline tickets, but I have pretty much decided to fly into Miami for the simple reasons:

1) it's closer to the cruise port

2) flights to Miami seem to have an earlier arrival time (which provides me more time to find taxi options at a lower cost)

3) the price difference in the flights are currently $1 (so why not fly into Miami right)?

My second concern is: What time is a safe time to book my return flight? I originally thought, it may be better to fly back home out of Miami instead of FLL since the airport is closer to the cruise port. I don't want to be stuck in the airport all day because I booked a flight too late, but I don't want to book a flight too early and miss the flight due to debarkation complications. What time is a safe time to book a return flight?

This will be the kids first experience with airlines, so I want it to go as seemless as possible.

Lastly, any taxi advice getting from the MIA airport is appreciated.

What cruise port are you going to?

OP is on the Vista which sails out of Miami.

OP, unless there is significant savings that more than offset the transportation/shuttle cost from FLL to POM and return. Flying into and out of Miami is the best bet.

To get from MIA to POM and back, look at Uber (and I think Lyft is there as well). You can go out on line and get an estimated taxi fare and Uber fare. Should be close to the same unless you need a higher grade of Uber service.

As far as return flights, mid day is usually a good time to look at. I personally wouldn't book any flight out prior to 11AM or Noon. This reduces the stress of hoping the ship arrives back early or on schedule, gets released from Customs on time, having to shuffle out self assist and move through Customs with small children, etc. This gives you time to enjoy a breakfast (at least on the Lido deck)before departing the ship.

Uber or taxi from POM to MIA are easy to grab once you've claimed your luggage. Ride to airport is 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. For an 11AM flight you should be off the ship around 9AM/ 9:30A at the latest. later flights give you more time to get off the ship and for airport delays. You may also wish to use Luggage Assist, where you give the ship your luggage and then you don't see it until you reach your home airport. Works well for smoother departures but may not be ass efficient on earlier morning flights.

Have a great time on the Vista!

How long the security line is at MIA can be anyone's guess, but for an 11AM flight

OP is on the Vista which sails out of Miami.

OP, unless there is significant savings that more than offset the transportation/shuttle cost from FLL to POM and return. Flying into and out of Miami is the best bet.

To get from MIA to POM and back, look at Uber (and I think Lyft is there as well). You can go out on line and get an estimated taxi fare and Uber fare. Should be close to the same unless you need a higher grade of Uber service.

As far as return flights, mid day is usually a good time to look at. I personally wouldn't book any flight out prior to 11AM or Noon. This reduces the stress of hoping the ship arrives back early or on schedule, gets released from Customs on time, having to shuffle out self assist and move through Customs with small children, etc. This gives you time to enjoy a breakfast (at least on the Lido deck)before departing the ship.

Uber or taxi from POM to MIA are easy to grab once you've claimed your luggage. Ride to airport is 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. For an 11AM flight you should be off the ship around 9AM/ 9:30A at the latest. later flights give you more time to get off the ship and for airport delays. You may also wish to use Luggage Assist, where you give the ship your luggage and then you don't see it until you reach your home airport. Works well for smoother departures but may not be ass efficient on earlier morning flights.

Have a great time on the Vista!

How long the security line is at MIA can be anyone's guess, but for an 11AM flight

I think you are confused with Luggage Express and I don't think Carnival offers that any longer.

For basically the same price, I would definitely go with Miami and be closer to the port... especially if you are trying for an earlier return flight.

Although I wouldn't recommend it.... I have disembarked from Miami and made an 11:00 a.m. flight out of FLL with pre-arranged transportation through SAS :)

If the cruise port is Miami, I fly in and out of Miami.

When I cruise out of FLL, I fly in and out of FLL. I keep it that simple.

I always fly in the morning of my cruise with the earliest flight leaving NY.

We have lots of non stop direct flights from the NYC area to both of these ports, so there is absolutely no need for me to plug in drive time for a connection between the ports into my travel plans.

As for taxis, there are set fees for airport to seaport transfers. I have used UBER as well, it's usually a few bucks less than a cab.

I can get to MIA seaport in 15 minutes from MIA and I can get to FLL in 10 mins from that airport. I'm usually to the cruise port by 11AM.

For both airports, the earlier you can get to the airport for your return flight the less crowded you will find it. I have often walked into either airport and breezed through check in and security before 8 or 9AM. If you linger on the ship, you will find it very crowded at noon or 1PM.

The earliest I book a return flight is 11AM, although I did make an 8:30AM departure once. I happily paid a small change fee for getting home 3 hrs earlier.

MIA airport is about a 15 min Uber/Taxi ride from POM - with 4 plus bags, especially if anyone in your group packs like my wife :rolleyes:, you might need an SUV/minivan taxi (same $27+tip flat rate fare as standard cabs) or UberXL. For an 1130 flight you need to be at MIA by 10:00 - 9:30 is better, which translates into off the ship with bags and clear of customs/immigration by just after 9:00 -- should not be too hard to do.

I would suggest flying in at least one day prior to your cruise; unless you are arriving late and just want dinner and a room I would avoid airport area hotels. Lots of hotels downtown with shopping and dining within walking distance. Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree, Hampton Inn Mary Brickell and several Marriott options are often suggested. Taxi from MIA to downtown hotels will run $25+ (Uber will be closer to $15) and another short $10-12 cab will get you to your ship the next morning.

Have a great cruise! :cool:

So we have done both ways sailing out of Miami and it's a toss-up for us. Many factors play into it such as price of airfare mainly. Where many complain about the size of FLL airport and the crowd factor we can fly Southwest to our local airport RDU for a pretty reasonable price so for us it works out well. The Miami airport which is large changed our boarding gates 3 times the day of our return flight and they weren't close together. Very frustrating to say the least and while waiting another passenger told us to fly out of FLL whenever possible because this was typical for Miami airport. Never have a change at FLL because of the size of the airport so maybe bigger isn't always better. We always fly down day before regardless of airport and have to book hotel night before, the hotels are probably more reasonably priced in FLL over Miami but you also have to secure shuttle service to POM so to us it's a wash. However I know a lot of people like to fly into Miami and enjoy the city pre-cruise so thats also a consideration. The shuttle from FLL to POM is fast and quick and we have never had any problems getting there by 11:00 or so. But again everything depends on your location and price of airfare and especially what time of the year you are cruising. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise, try it one way this time and maybe change it up next trip and see what works best for your family!

We always fly into FLL, the day before the cruise, because we save more money for a round trip ticket.

Most Ft Lauderdale airport hotels have a free courtesy shuttle that will pick you up and take you to the hotel.

We always liked the Ft Lauderdale area because it's a nicer and more family oriented and safer.

Cambria Suites Dania Beach and SpringHill Suites Dania Beach are two good hotels that we've stayed at.

The next day we then take Jiffy Jeff Transportation, from the hotel to Port of Miami, for $15pp.

This works best for us. A great option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are flying in the day of the cruise then unless the savings is significant, say $60-75 a ticket or more, fly to Miami. The cost of transport plus extra time doesn't justify it unless there is a big difference. Just be ready for an airport experience like nothing else in the U.S. Not a bad thing, just different. Enjoy your trip.

If the cruise port is Miami, I fly in and out of Miami.

When I cruise out of FLL, I fly in and out of FLL. I keep it that simple.

I always fly in the morning of my cruise with the earliest flight leaving NY.

We have lots of non stop direct flights from the NYC area to both of these ports, so there is absolutely no need for me to plug in drive time for a connection between the ports into my travel plans.

As for taxis, there are set fees for airport to seaport transfers. I have used UBER as well, it's usually a few bucks less than a cab.

I can get to MIA seaport in 15 minutes from MIA and I can get to FLL in 10 mins from that airport. I'm usually to the cruise port by 11AM.

For both airports, the earlier you can get to the airport for your return flight the less crowded you will find it. I have often walked into either airport and breezed through check in and security before 8 or 9AM. If you linger on the ship, you will find it very crowded at noon or 1PM.

The earliest I book a return flight is 11AM, although I did make an 8:30AM departure once. I happily paid a small change fee for getting home 3 hrs earlier.

A lot of people will fly to FLL regardless if they are cruising out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami because southwest flies to FLL and not Miami. My local airport BWI is a southwest hub so it is cheaper and easier to fly to FLL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app