Santorini....lunch at bottom of cable car?

skiiergirl

I did see a small cafe or cafes. There could have been two places though, and we never ate at either place, but I do recall lots of little tables and chairs, ice cream, drinks, gift shops, too. I am nearly positive that I saw a menu for hamburgers, et cet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. The places mentioned at the bottom of the cable car are strictly what I'd call 'convenience' eating. Very basic food and seating; nothing to recommend. On the other hand, I passed some very nice places at the top overlooking the cliff on the way to the cable car.

Since I had always heard the cable car line was long had hoped to get on the cable car before the line was too long and then do lunch at the bottom before the tender. We ended up eating up top before coming down today. We arrived at "the line" at 2:00 pm and made it to the ticket stand at 2:40.

However, there are at least 2 and I think maybe 4 places that appeared to be serving "meals" near the tender area. Looked like probably mostly crew hanging out for the internet. I did see several "meals" that actually looked "tasty".

I have been going to Santorini for over a decade and find that Syrtaki (on the Skala pier at the bottom of the Cable Car) has, in fact, one of the best Greek salads in the Cyclades - and also very good fresh fish. Yes, it is true that some other places are really just 'convenient' to have a drink - beer, coffee, ouzo, soda ... - BUT for a nice, genuine Greek meal both Syrtaki or Nikolas are very good. Don't be fooled by 'crew' eating in this places ... they are not there for the wi-fi ... it's all about the food.

• Like 1