dining room questions?

hlb76

If that question is intended for me, I've never said that I don't own anything except jeans. Originally, I never said I intended to wear jeans at any time on the ship.

I

If you meant my question, I apologize. The question was a general question to folks who DO state "I only wear jeans" or "I never wear dress clothes".

I'm not into the class thing and think everyone has their own definition of what they considered to "class" or "class less". I personally think class has nothing to do with dress but everything to do with character.

My question was never meant to offend anyone. It was truly just a question. I know people who say "I can't go to a hospital to visit anyone, hospital depress (make me sick) me, I don't go to funerals, I just can't handle them, I don't like, I'm not going to that wedding, I don't do black tie. It just seems to me that some people got the idea that their wants and needs override the wants and needs of others.

I'm not trying to flame anyone. This is just a trend I see. I've had many an argument with my young adult children on these type issues.

I've had many an argument with my young adult children on these type issues.

As have I with my 4.

There is no need for you to apologize. I shouldn't have assumed that you were being critical. You did just ask a question.

I tend to take up for the underdog, and when members of the board began insulting new members who were asking questions, I .... well it upset me. I said a couple of things that I probably took too far.

It amazes me how often people on here insult and ridicule others. It's just not called for. Again, I'm sorry if I "jumped" on you. None of it was your fault.

If you meant my question, I apologize. The question was a general question to folks who DO state "I only wear jeans" or "I never wear dress clothes".

I'm not into the class thing and think everyone has their own definition of what they considered to "class" or "class less". I personally think class has nothing to do with dress but everything to do with character.

My question was never meant to offend anyone. It was truly just a question. I know people who say "I can't go to a hospital to visit anyone, hospital depress (make me sick) me, I don't go to funerals, I just can't handle them, I don't like, I'm not going to that wedding, I don't do black tie. It just seems to me that some people got the idea that their wants and needs override the wants and needs of others.

I'm not trying to flame anyone. This is just a trend I see. I've had many an argument with my young adult children on these type issues.

KEEP IT UP. I AGREE!!!

"Up until recently, I had not intended to pack jeans at all. With all of the holier-than-thous acting as if a pair of pants will ruin their dinner and thinking that somehow, they have the right to dictate to another person on how to dress, I may bring jeans for every night in the dining room. I have read so many posts telling people that if they don't like the idea of not wearing jeans, they are welcome to go to the buffet. Where do you get the nerve? If you don't like how someone is dressed, why don't you go to the buffet?"

If that's how you feel, ask to be moved if you are at the table with someone who offends your delicate sensibilities. It's preposterous.

Up until recently, I had not intended to pack jeans at all. With all of the holier-than-thous acting as if a pair of pants will ruin their dinner and thinking that somehow, they have the right to dictate to another person on how to dress, I may bring jeans for every night in the dining room. I have read so many posts telling people that if they don't like the idea of not wearing jeans, they are welcome to go to the buffet. Where do you get the nerve? If you don't like how someone is dressed, why don't you go to the buffet?

All nice restaraunts handle the dress code at the door. They don't expect their patrons to do it for them. In this case, it is Carnival's job, not yours. I think you should all leave your condescention at the door as well. Give your opinion if you're asked, but don't belittle someone because his beliefs do not agree with yours.

If denim is really so appalling as to have an adverse effect on your dinner, why don't you go on a more formal cruise. They may hire denim police.

If that makes me a spoled little girl, so be it.

"Up until recently, I had not intended to pack jeans at all. With all of the holier-than-thous acting as if a pair of pants will ruin their dinner and thinking that somehow, they have the right to dictate to another person on how to dress, I may bring jeans for every night in the dining room. I have read so many posts telling people that if they don't like the idea of not wearing jeans, they are welcome to go to the buffet. Where do you get the nerve? If you don't like how someone is dressed, why don't you go to the buffet?"

I don't believe in spite but do believe spite can be like throwing gas on a fire- if you really never intended to bring/wear in dining why accelerate &/or magnify the unhappiness of some people. P.S. I don't care what the people around me wear with the exception of tanks possibly which are specifically mentioned as a NO NO

What an amazing discussion this is. I agree with those that say that the "rules" are clearly posted--that is; no shorts, no bathing suits. Everything else is open for opinion and you know what they say about those....

My husband works in the computer business. "Business casual" for him IS jeans and a nice polo or button down. I've seen some people on cruises in khakis and dress shirt that looked liked slobs as the clothes were clearly unironed and just thrown in a suitcase. On the other hand, I've seen people in jeans, a polo or button down (give or take the sports coat) that looked really nice. It can go either way, again, that opinion thing.

One thing I am really happy about--that my world is not so small or so compartmentalized that what someone wears to dinner on a cruise could actually RUIN my dinner and/or my cruise. I mean, good grief. In the overall scheme of the world this is soooooo small. :eek: :(

Sigh.

Vanessa

What an amazing discussion this is. I agree with those that say that the "rules" are clearly posted--that is; no shorts, no bathing suits. Everything else is open for opinion and you know what they say about those....

My husband works in the computer business. "Business casual" for him IS jeans and a nice polo or button down. I've seen some people on cruises in khakis and dress shirt that looked liked slobs as the clothes were clearly unironed and just thrown in a suitcase. On the other hand, I've seen people in jeans, a polo or button down (give or take the sports coat) that looked really nice. It can go either way, again, that opinion thing.

One thing I am really happy about--that my world is not so small or so compartmentalized that what someone wears to dinner on a cruise could actually RUIN my dinner and/or my cruise. I mean, good grief. In the overall scheme of the world this is soooooo small. :eek: :(

Sigh.

Vanessa

Hi Folks, I just read this whole thread......it can get heated here at times....one of the reasons I seldom post....however....I have to fully agree with this poster...thanks Vanessa.....as long as someone is clean and neat and DECENTLY dressed I don't care what they wear in the dining room. For those that like to get all dressed up that's fine...for those that don't care to that's fine too....unless someone is dirty, stinks, or has body parts hanging out that shouldn't be....I really don't care...it doesn't add or detract from my cruise or my dining pleasure.....I have seen this same discussion going on on cruise boards for years...I have seen some very nice looking gentlemen in jeans with creases that could cut butter, along with tux shirts or very ornate western dress shirt, beautiful EXPENSIVE boots, who looked a great deal more 'classy' than men in wrinkled, ill fitting suits.....men in kilts....(what's the difference in kilts and dress shorts may I ask?)....anyway...as far as denim goes....it you are sailing out of Galveston be prepared...denim everything.....and it's an absolutely acceptable mode of dress.....informal and formal....anyway that's my 2 cents. Lighten up folks......

Hi Folks, I just read this whole thread......it can get heated here at times....one of the reasons I seldom post....however....I have to fully agree with this poster...thanks Vanessa.....as long as someone is clean and neat and DECENTLY dressed I don't care what they wear in the dining room. For those that like to get all dressed up that's fine...for those that don't care to that's fine too....unless someone is dirty, stinks, or has body parts hanging out that shouldn't be....I really don't care...it doesn't add or detract from my cruise or my dining pleasure.....I have seen this same discussion going on on cruise boards for years...I have seen some very nice looking gentlemen in jeans with creases that could cut butter, along with tux shirts or very ornate western dress shirt, beautiful EXPENSIVE boots, who looked a great deal more 'classy' than men in wrinkled, ill fitting suits.....men in kilts....(what's the difference in kilts and dress shorts may I ask?)....anyway...as far as denim goes....it you are sailing out of Galveston be prepared...denim everything.....and it's an absolutely acceptable mode of dress.....informal and formal....anyway that's my 2 cents. Lighten up folks......

You said ..............."anyway...as far as denim goes....it you are sailing out of Galveston be prepared...denim everything.....and it's an absolutely acceptable mode of dress.....informal and formal....anyway that's my 2 cents. Lighten up folks...... "

So you're saying denim is allowed and accepted on formal nights ?

Why does it do that? I hate double posting. It looks as if you're trying to sear your point into the other's mind.

When you hit reply, just do it once... don't refresh, even if you get the white screen or error... else you will get a double, triple or more post.

You said ..............."anyway...as far as denim goes....it you are sailing out of Galveston be prepared...denim everything.....and it's an absolutely acceptable mode of dress.....informal and formal....anyway that's my 2 cents. Lighten up folks...... "

So you're saying denim is allowed and accepted on formal nights ?

I told you want I saw.....and yes on formal nights....acceptable?? I suppose it was as no one turned them away....I would imagine if they'd had on overalls with a dirty handkerchief hanging outta their back pockets ..they might have been turned away ;-)....but yes, I have see men in jeans as I described....VERY FANCY and VERY FASHIONABLE....boots that probably cost over a grand. beautiful western shirts or even tux dress shirts....westrn jackets........I have seen it on both Carnival and RCL......and I sure didn't seen anyone wanting to get up from the tables they were seated at and ask to be changed cause they were insulted. ;-)

Uh-oh - Run Tex Run!

You didn't even whisper. You said "jeans" and "dining room" in the same sentence. You're in big trouble now. Watch it.

I'd go get my six-shooters if I were you.

hahahaha....Kitty...I did and I stand by it! It's a very old story that has lived and died so many lives on this board.....LOL....I remember once a person was complaining about who was or wasn't dressed 'properly' on formal night....one guy told her the only way to cure that was to make formal nights...nekkid nights! LOL

Originally Posted by Blazerboy

(Caveat: Rant coming on. A stream-of-consciousness diatribe spurred on by the never-ending clothing wars. If it matters to anyone, I don't think it'll change any minds, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest- Happy cruising everyone, and remember what is so often posted on these boards: the debates that rage on here are hopefully a small part, or no part at all, of your cruise experience! :) )

Ahh, this great democracy that we live in, where supposedly everyone is equal, but nobody truly believes it- it's not true, mostly because everyone's insecure about where they fit in to the picture, and is clawing to feel better than others. This country, where manners are seen as something only for the upper class, but then the upper class is defined solely by educational level and income level, and those two things are no guarantee of manners. Some of the "classiest" (I HATE that word) people I know have what are considered humble lives by most.

"Me, me, me" is the shout, but I read that not as a true belief on the part of the declarer, but as a cry that "I'm just as good as you are!", based on some insecurity about their social standing. Well, no one said you weren't, especially if you respect the requests of others, including your hosts or the people with whom you choose to do business.

"It's my vacation, so I'll do whatever I want" are nine of the most immature words strung together in the history of the language. If you were six, you'd be called a spoiled brat. Why is it any different when you become an adult. In kindergarten, you're expected to have better behavior than that. Why not now? We are becoming a culture that is solely about acquisition of status symbols, be they homes, cars, children, or vacations. We have also become a country of impatient, scared, small minded, classless boors, who think "instant gratification" takes too long. In our demand to be treated the same, we seem to all feel that we should be the exception to rules. Our arrogance about our own self importance (and the underlying insecurity that feeds it) knows no bounds. We drive enormous wasteful SUV's to feel protected, and shut ourselves off from the world in huge McMansions so we don't have to interact with other people. And our lives' list of accomplishments would say very little about our value as a person, and would say not-so-nice things about our values as humans.

A cruise is not simply a vacation to brag about around the office water cooler, it's a social interaction, just like going to a party, or conducting business in a professional manner when at work. It comes with privileges AND responsibilities. Guests, whether paying or not, have rights, but they also have obligations. It's about interacting civilly, about accepting that there are rules and requests that apply to us, and that we need to start valuing some of the culture that we claim is 'old fashioned' before it's acceptable to stop interacting with people altogether.

My word. What a sad state of affairs.

Andrew

Well that is the most elequent 'rant' I have ever read! Well said.

You are correct. It is well written. You copy and paste well.

The originial author should double check the definition of stream-of-consciousness. The literary style was originally, and still is, intended to be mostly incoherent. The reader is left to follow the stream in order to attain the full story. It is illogical and does not follow a narrative order. If you, or the author, are interested, I can suggest novels that employ this literary technique. In order to understand it fully, it is best to read one of the masters.

Are you now proctoring people on HOW to post, and how to write? Perhaps you should go on your cruise first, while reading more and writing less. (I am just checking to see if my noun is before my verb).

The author, a poster on this board, can write freely as he sees fit, while conforming to the rules of the board.

Are you now proctoring people on HOW to post, and how to write? Perhaps you should go on your cruise first, while reading more and writing less. (I am just checking to see if my noun is before my verb).

The author, a poster on this board, can write freely as he sees fit, while conforming to the rules of the board.

No, I don't think that I was. I was answering a well-written, well-copied post. I thought I made that clear.

I was replying to cappucino's comment about it being an eloquent rant. It was (I thought I made that clear).

You are so correct about a poster being able to write as he sees fit. I am a poster, so why are you trying to correct me?

Archived