dining room questions?

hlb76

You must have missed the OP's opening statement of a rant coming on. Thus, cap's quotes.

Interesting how you are directing Cap and the OP to the "masters".

I didn't miss anything. I believe this is the third time, just this weekend, that I have seen the exact same post (posted by different people and none of them have been the author). I just thought that since everyone was reading it so often, it should be explained. I'm glad that you find it interesting about the masters. Let me know if you'd like some names. I'll be happy to give a couple to you.

You are correct. It is well written. You copy and paste well.

The originial author should double check the definition of stream-of-consciousness. The literary style was originally, and still is, intended to be mostly incoherent. The reader is left to follow the stream in order to attain the full story. It is illogical and does not follow a narrative order. If you, or the author, are interested, I can suggest novels that employ this literary technique. In order to understand it fully, it is best to read one of the masters.

Kitty, with all due respect... I have bitten my tongue (or fingers), since it is against the guidelines to comment on others grammar, spelling, etc. And I for one have no room to talk, so I don't... but you are the last person that should make a comment like the one above. Especially when it comes to literary technique.

Kitty, with all due respect... I have bitten my tongue (or fingers), since it is against the guidelines to comment on others grammar, spelling, etc. And I for one have no room to talk, so I don't... but you are the last person that should make a comment like the one above. Especially when it comes to literary technique.

Amen.

Other than that-

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(only because I am not sufficiently literate to spell the sound of a yawn!) :rolleyes:

The yawn I agree with. It has become banal.

The primary definition of banal is "obvious and dull", which, as opposed to anything related to what has been said on this thread, more closely reflects the Carnival dining room dress code. The resulting banter could be thought of as hackneyed or, better yet, simply unnecessary. Wear whatever you want, cause we know that you will. Unless you take a page from your actions here and answer everything that everyone has to say in the dining room, no one will notice you anyway. :rolleyes: Have fun! :)

I know it's a dead thread, but I'll relate my story anyway. :)

The last cruise my hubby and I were on, we skipped the second formal night. Just didn't feel like making the effort, so we ate on the Lido deck. But I did want to see everyone at our table in their formal wear, so we stopped in the dining room in time for coffee and dessert. Now, granted, it was formal night, but man you should have seen the dirty looks we got. My husband was in dockers and a button down shirt, and I was wearing a white silk halter blouse, black slacks, and high heels, but you'd have thought we just rolled out of bed in our housecoats the way people were glaring at us.

So, I'm a big proponent for wearing what makes you happy and comfortable, but be prepared to feel very *uncomfortable* with the looks if you buck the trend. :)

You are correct. It is well written. You copy and paste well.

The originial author should double check the definition of stream-of-consciousness. The literary style was originally, and still is, intended to be mostly incoherent. The reader is left to follow the stream in order to attain the full story. It is illogical and does not follow a narrative order. If you, or the author, are interested, I can suggest novels that employ this literary technique. In order to understand it fully, it is best to read one of the masters.

Nope, not interested in any suggestions at all. Studied Joyce many moons ago at school which was quite sufficient for me thank you very much.

Nope, not interested in any suggestions at all. Studied Joyce many moons ago at school which was quite sufficient for me thank you very much.

Ditto, as did we all. Not really desiring further instruction from intelligentsia wannabes.

Hey Duck, I thought you were going to get rid of this. My patience is growing thin with playing nice and "ignore."

As soon as you point out just how Duck could get rid of this, perhaps he will... til then, it'll have to be a host that does it :p

You could always try just not opening the thread... unless that "last word" thing is bothering you too much ;)

Glad you recognized that some just have to have the last word , act like their superior, all knowing etc etc When tired of a thread some move on & others just keep on a flaming I mean posting. They're easy to recognize aren't they

As soon as you point out just how Duck could get rid of this, perhaps he will... til then, it'll have to be a host that does it :p

You could always try just not opening the thread... unless that "last word" thing is bothering you too much ;)

Duck said that it needed to be moved. I agreed. I assumed from his comment that he knew how to move it. Yes, I know about assumptions. Please excuse me.

It amazes me how often people on here insult and ridicule others. It's just not called for.

How about a time-out for a reality check? The first insult was posted here:

I figure that my money is just as good as anyones, and if that is not what they like, then sc@#w em!

The first attempt to put words in others mouths was posted here:

If someone's dinner (on any night other than formal night) is going to be ruined by a person in a nice pair of jeans and a button down shirt or polo shirt, something is wrong.

I got to this point in the thread (post #53) and went back to see how many, and who, posted insulting and ridiculing comments. I counted 7 such instances, incidentally, all from people who claim to care nothing for how others are dressed or advocate ignorance of suggested dress. Those who appreciate dress codes (guidelines, suggestions, innuendos, whatever) have simply expressed their opinion, politely. An opinion I happen to share, regardless of my personal choice of cruise line.

Perhaps, those who suggest that lack of respect for requested dress goes hand-in-hand with unrefined social skills, have plenty of evidence to support their assertion.:rolleyes:

Just an observation, now get back to your thread, that horse still has a leg kicking.

The primary definition of banal is "obvious and dull", which, as opposed to anything related to what has been said on this thread, more closely reflects the Carnival dining room dress code. The resulting banter could be thought of as hackneyed or, better yet, simply unnecessary. Wear whatever you want, cause we know that you will. Unless you take a page from your actions here and answer everything that everyone has to say in the dining room, no one will notice you anyway. :rolleyes: Have fun! :)

A poster or two on this thread have to have the last word on everything posted here, here 24/7 theyd be hits at the last word thread elsewhere on cruise critics

Originally Posted by Blazerboy

(Caveat: Rant coming on. A stream-of-consciousness diatribe spurred on by the never-ending clothing wars. If it matters to anyone, I don't think it'll change any minds, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest- Happy cruising everyone, and remember what is so often posted on these boards: the debates that rage on here are hopefully a small part, or no part at all, of your cruise experience! :) )

Ahh, this great democracy that we live in, where supposedly everyone is equal, but nobody truly believes it- it's not true, mostly because everyone's insecure about where they fit in to the picture, and is clawing to feel better than others. This country, where manners are seen as something only for the upper class, but then the upper class is defined solely by educational level and income level, and those two things are no guarantee of manners. Some of the "classiest" (I HATE that word) people I know have what are considered humble lives by most.

"Me, me, me" is the shout, but I read that not as a true belief on the part of the declarer, but as a cry that "I'm just as good as you are!", based on some insecurity about their social standing. Well, no one said you weren't, especially if you respect the requests of others, including your hosts or the people with whom you choose to do business.

"It's my vacation, so I'll do whatever I want" are nine of the most immature words strung together in the history of the language. If you were six, you'd be called a spoiled brat. Why is it any different when you become an adult. In kindergarten, you're expected to have better behavior than that. Why not now? We are becoming a culture that is solely about acquisition of status symbols, be they homes, cars, children, or vacations. We have also become a country of impatient, scared, small minded, classless boors, who think "instant gratification" takes too long. In our demand to be treated the same, we seem to all feel that we should be the exception to rules. Our arrogance about our own self importance (and the underlying insecurity that feeds it) knows no bounds. We drive enormous wasteful SUV's to feel protected, and shut ourselves off from the world in huge McMansions so we don't have to interact with other people. And our lives' list of accomplishments would say very little about our value as a person, and would say not-so-nice things about our values as humans.

A cruise is not simply a vacation to brag about around the office water cooler, it's a social interaction, just like going to a party, or conducting business in a professional manner when at work. It comes with privileges AND responsibilities. Guests, whether paying or not, have rights, but they also have obligations. It's about interacting civilly, about accepting that there are rules and requests that apply to us, and that we need to start valuing some of the culture that we claim is 'old fashioned' before it's acceptable to stop interacting with people altogether.

My word. What a sad state of affairs.

Andrew

How wonderfully refreshing. Could not have said it any better myself. Glad to read that not all ofthe world has turned into crashing bores. Kepp that Blazer at the ready.

Archived