dining room questions?

hlb76

This is actually the other(better) half of Familygirl.

I see the posts that say no shorts and t-shirts in the dining room, which is fine with me. But I was planning on wearing docker style shorts and collared shirts to dinner. Wouldn't this be considered as "casual resort wear" ?

And by the way, I don't care what someone else wears to dinner. It takes alot more than a pair of jeans and a t-shirt in the dining room to ruin my appetite. However, If there is a standard that is common courtesy then I feel it is appropriate to dress to that standard.

No shorts means no shorts, sorry

Very well said. Thank you!!

An additional point:

It is not necessarily that others at the table will have their dinners ruined, but that if everyone else at the table is dressed in formal or semi formal attire, those who have not followed the rules for the day may not feel comfortable. I know that I would not under those circumstances.

My point actually had nothing to do with how I feel about dressing for dinner. I know how to dress, and I work in a profession where clothes are part of the job.

I have a problem with the manner in which people on this board feel that they have the right to answer a simple question. Again, if Carnival doesn't want jeans, the rules should say so and not leave it open to interpretation. They clearly state "no shorts." That should not be a problem for anyone. Jeans, it appears, is a problem for some and not for others.

Again, if Carnival doesn't want jeans, the rules should say so and not leave it open to interpretation.
It's really *not* open for interpretation. Carnival clearly states what *is* acceptable "casual resort wear" and jeans are nowhere to be found in that definition.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Nor are jeans to be found anywhere in the list of exculusions. The only thing that it says that are not allowed are shorts T-shirts, and bathing suits. If I go by the rest of the definition, I could wear a denim dress, pantsuit, or a denim skirt. Denim is a type of fabric for goodness sakes.

Up until recently, I had not intended to pack jeans at all. With all of the holier-than-thous acting as if a pair of pants will ruin their dinner and thinking that somehow, they have the right to dictate to another person on how to dress, I may bring jeans for every night in the dining room.

So Kittybork, will you be wearing your jeans for comfort or just spite?:rolleyes:

I would hate to admit that it would be for spite, :( but it might.

Then bring your sweats too. They're not on the exclusion list either. According to your interpretation, they would be acceptable as well. :eek:

Like at a country club, they'll take your money, but the "members" will talk behind your back. ( "Did you see Molly on the putting green?")

Just call me Miss Manners, but it makes me sad that society has come to such a level that one can't even put on a pair of dockers instead of jeans to come to a lovely environment and enjoy a lovely meal...

Ambience... it is such a nice thing to enjoy. One should be willing to contribute as well.

Our TA told us jeans are OK, as long as they are nice jeans, not old faded with holes in them, my husband has never worn anything but jeans, he has never owned a pair of slacks and will not wear them, so he is bringing jeans with some casual button front shirts and we were told that is OK, and we will not be doing formal night.

I will be wearing casual also, khaki pants and nice shirts, again we were told that is not a problem on carnival.

I hope we have the correct information from our TA.

I have been told that denim is not appropriate attire for the dining room except for the first night and would not expect to see it any other night.

I have been told that denim is not appropriate attire for the dining room except for the first night and would not expect to see it any other night.

Who told you that?

I ask because Carnival does not state *no denim* so I would be highly surprised if someone from Carnival told you that. ;)

To the OP>>I've only been on two cruises so I'm not nearly as seasoned as most of the posters here with 10 plus cruises under their belts; But on the two cruises I have been on so far I saw plenty of people wearing jeans in the dining room and no one batted an eye.

The one time I did see people pretty much look and whisper was when a family walked in wearing jeans on formal night. I am a jeans person (Live in Atl so I dont feel jeans are too hot at all) and even I wore a much dressier outfit for formal night.

And remember>>Take everyhting you read here with a grain of salt. (Or a few Bahama Mamas) :D

Laura

If that makes me a spoled little girl, so be it.

It does, IMHO. I agree with Andrew. Your host, Carnival, has requested a certain dress code. They will not embarrass you by enforcing it. But anyone with any "class" would respect that request and their fellow passengers by either complying, or eating at one of the many other delicious choices. Or you can act like a spoiled child and dress however you want with total disregard for everyone else. And the other passengers who are dressed appropriately will probably not care enough about it to let it bother them.

So true, Tef :)

"To those that would understand, no explanation is necessary. To those that wouldn't, no explanation would be adequate" Ayn Rand

Ah, but you and good old Tef are always sure to read every word and provide comments, so you must enjoy it also.

It does, IMHO. I agree with Andrew. Your host, Carnival, has requested a certain dress code. They will not embarrass you by enforcing it. But anyone with any "class" would respect that request and their fellow passengers by either complying, or eating at one of the many other delicious choices. Or you can act like a spoiled child and dress however you want with total disregard for everyone else. And the other passengers who are dressed appropriately will probably not care enough about it to let it bother them.

You are entitled to your opinion and I mine.

Read the dress code. The words "jeans" and "denim" are not mentioned in Carnival's dress code. They are mentioned in some of the other cruise lines.

If anyone had any class, he wouldn't condescend to people on the boards. He would leave it to the person's discretion after he answered the question that was asked.

Thank you for your opinion.

I'm far from a fashion diva...I'm more on the lines of a comfort diva.. but I truly don't understand the resistance to dressing for dinner. Doesn't it take the same amount of time to put on a pair of Dockers as a pair of Jeans? And my DH swears by those adjustable Dockers when he is cruising.

I have a question I have wanted to ask for a long time. When someone says they don't own anything but jeans, I'm always tempted to ask what they do for funerals and weddings.

My DH is a one suit man. We hope each New Year that he wears his suit to more Weddings than funerals. But if we continue to cruise we may have to invest in another suit.

If that question is intended for me, I've never said that I don't own anything except jeans. Originally, I never said I intended to wear jeans at any time on the ship.

I took offense to the way some on this board talk to others who did say those things.

Disagreeing with someone on correct attire does not give a person the right to speak to him anyway one chooses.

Many on this board throw around the word "class" when it comes to the dress in the DR issue. Does anyone think it's classy to attack new members to the board. That is what my issue was about: not the pants.

I'll get the normal useless tirade now because most seem unable to read and comprehend past the point where they see "jeans" and "DR" in the same sentence. It's a bore.

Archived