dining room questions?

hlb76

I just wanted to let you know what I experienced this past cruise OUR FIRST on Carnival's Paradise.

Our family is JUST like you and I could have posted your post myself.

We did NOT do formal night and believe me it's pretty formal. Lots of cocktail dresses, formals, suits and tuxidos.

I worried a little that by NOT going to the formal night would some how ruin our cruise but it did NOT in the least! We just don't enjoy dressing up and aren't dressy folks.

For the other evenings we only ate in the dining room 2 nights; we have a four year old and we didn't want her to HAVE to indure an adult evening dinner NOR did we want the others at our table to have to endure our 4 year old (not that she's bad or even hyper...but you never know how others might feel) BUT after those two nights I wished we would have eaten there more often. The food was pretty darn good!!

I also noticed that we were at a table with families (all that had young children) I wonder if Carnival does that on purpose. We all had something in common and were all understanding, being in the same shoes.

AS FOR THE DRESS ON NON FORMAL NIGHTS:

I packed slacks and button up shirts for hubby and he ended up wearing blue jeans (no holes and on the newer side) and a nice t-shirt style shirt but that silky like look. I wore khaki capri's and a nice top and we were JUST FINE!!! And didn't feel out of place at all. I looked around and saw everything from the appropriate attire they ask for to the attire they say gets turned away, yet there they were eating with us! In fact there was a dad at our table (on the larger size) and he wore sweats and a sweatshirt that that didnt' have a hood but had the sipper from the chest up. And they didn't turn him away...AND this was his 5 cruise, 2nd of the year! The wife and I ended up talking and she said that they dress up for work EVERY DAY and that dressing up on vacation was just not their thing!

Like many say, you will see just about everything there but the majority follow as close as they can. I had to just take our first cruise to find out for myself and I got worked up way more than I should have!!

Do I regret not going to the formal dinner...nope! Will I do the formal dinner in Feb on our next cruise, I think I'd like to do one night but probably not the second?? Just depends on how/what the little one will be doing! Some nights the Kids Club took the kids to the Lido deck resturant for dinner and she LOVED/prefered that over the dining room.

If you have any further questions PLEASE do not hesitate to post again!! And truly you will have a blast regardless of attire :)

OH, I forgot, there was a post on these boards that I always remembered before, during, and even now. It too was regarding attire and dining. The poster was telling of his evening on the way to the dining room on formal night when a family in their bathing suits passed them by. The father said, "where is everyone going all dressed up?" The poster said, it's dinner time/formal night at the dining room. The man said, "oh we've been on this cruise the whole time and never even have been there for dinner :)"

...BUT after those two nights I wished we would have eaten there more often. The food was pretty darn good!!

:)"

We personally feel that we should dress up if we go to the dining room for formal night, but hubby feels it's worth the effort for the great lobster they have that night.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you now proctoring people on HOW to post, and how to write? Perhaps you should go on your cruise first, while reading more and writing less. (I am just checking to see if my noun is before my verb).

The author, a poster on this board, can write freely as he sees fit, while conforming to the rules of the board.

I nominate this one for Best Post of the entire thread!

Archived