Changes for Harvest Caye

Pssunshinegal

Just received this press release. Hopefully this will help the locals get some of the tourist dollars, as well as open the area for the cruisers who wish to have a Belizean experience.

The Placencia Municipal Pier to open to Harvest Caye Passengers

1. Application form to operate from the Tour Operators Sales desk

2. Application form for Pre-booked Operator Pier Usage to pick up and return passengers for pre-sold tours.

As we prepare for high season, directional signage and visitor maps will be made available. The bathroom facilities will be constructed to ensure guest satisfaction for both overnight and cruise guests.

This new tendering service will provide an increase in the flow of visitors (Max 360 cruise guests per cruise ship day) to the village of Placencia which will create economic activity for local stakeholders. We encourage all restaurants, artisans and all businesses in the area to open your doors and welcome some additional traffic flow for your business.

4ae732cf-77b1-4c0f-b1e1-b548238b8746.png

Belize City, Belize- May 16th, 2017: On May 30th, 2017, the Cruise Control Ltd. will officially start ferrying cruise passengers from Harvest Caye to Placencia Village and will be conducting a test run in the interim. Passengers will now have the opportunity to enjoy the beaches, food, craft and much more that the village of Placencia has to offer. In addition, Tour Operators will have the opportunity to take guests on marine tours.

Tickets can be purchased on the cruise ship or at the visitors' booth on Harvest Caye at a cost of $20USD round trip.

The Placencia Village Council has collaborated with the Belize Tourism Board in the renovations of the pier, which now boasts a new tour sales desk for the independent tour operators to sell their tours. "We had a test run this morning the weather was perfect with a flat top sea, it was awesome seeing the ferry coming into the village. It is going to be a great experience for the villagers, town council, tour operators, and business people" shared village Council chairlady" Ilsa Villueva.

Tour Operators interested in offering water based tours will need to request application forms from the Placencia Village Council to complete the following:

I

I will be there on May 30th, and if this is up and running I will check it out... The idea of being stuck on an island run completely by the cruise line is not my idea of fun. I like to get out and explore the local culture wherever I go...

I will be there on May 30th, and if this is up and running I will check it out... The idea of being stuck on an island run completely by the cruise line is not my idea of fun. I like to get out and explore the local culture wherever I go...

I also hope you come back and tell us your experience.

I'm researching places to eat and drink in Placencia as I write this... I will be heading to Shore Excursions first thing to look into this. Will report back upon return.

Sid9169

Please tell us how it went?

I also hope you come back and tell us your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

On May 30th I was on the very first ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia Belize... I purchased the ticket from the Shore Excursions desk on embarkation day. We boarded at the same dock that all of the other NCL excursions leave from on HC. It takes about 15 minutes or so to reach the dock in Placencia in a boat that holds around 50 passengers. Once at the dock, I set out on foot exploring, first on the concrete footpath that leads north on the beach side of the island. I then headed inland towards the main road to Brewed Awakenings, a coffee house that serves seaweed shakes of several different varieties. I then explored some of the off the main road neighborhoods, where the locals looked at me suspiciously, but I never felt in any kind of danger...

There are a few rustic roadside restaurants and food stands along the way. I tried having lunch at a place called Dawns Grill, but they were still serving breakfast when I arrived. Further down near the dock, I found a small shack serving conch chowder and jerk chicken by the roadside. A lot of the locals seemed to hang out there, so I had some food and fresh juice for pretty cheap.

The time on the island is about 3 hours, and I was happy to escape the sterile corperate island of Harvest Caye. If you're the adventurous type, I would recommend this excursion, if only to experience some authentic Belizean culture.

If anyone has any questions about the experience, I will be happy to answer as best I can...

They're only in the beginning stages of this, but I believe there were 4 different trips on the day I was there. (9:00, 10:00, 11:00, and 12:00) You were given a wristband indicating your departure and return time. The reason that you had to leave at your set time was that each ferry sailed at near capacity. If too many people decided to leave at any time they wanted, there may not be enough room in the boat, so you are on a fixed schedule. This may change over time depending on demand...

Thank you for the review. Could you please tell me ... Do you have to stay 3 hours? How many ferry boats go back and forth? Are there only a certain amount of tickets they sell at the exclusion desk for the ferry?

Also.... What time does the first ferry leave?

Thank you for coming back and reporting. This looks like something we might do. We don't sail until April 2018 so hopefully by then things will be running smoothly. It is nice to have a few more options.

I took a few pictures, but I'm not computer literate enough to post them. I do believe it would be completely safe as a women to walk around. As for the timing, you have around 3 hours on the island, and you must leave according to the time of your tour, due to boat capacity.

Thank you for getting back to us. Do you have any pictures? Is it safe for a women by her self to go around this island?

so the minimum you can spend on the island is 4 hours. Could you go back in 2 hours on a return boat if you wanted or are you stuck there for a minimum of 4

• 4 weeks later...
How was the boat ride? Rough water or smooth? Did anyone get sick? ( I had a bad experience on the jet boat ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen) Thanks very much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

if its windy the ride will be rough, if its not windy the ride will be smooth?

On May 30th I was on the very first ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia Belize... I purchased the ticket from the Shore Excursions desk on embarkation day. We boarded at the same dock that all of the other NCL excursions leave from on HC. It takes about 15 minutes or so to reach the dock in Placencia in a boat that holds around 50 passengers. Once at the dock, I set out on foot exploring, first on the concrete footpath that leads north on the beach side of the island. I then headed inland towards the main road to Brewed Awakenings, a coffee house that serves seaweed shakes of several different varieties. I then explored some of the off the main road neighborhoods, where the locals looked at me suspiciously, but I never felt in any kind of danger...

There are a few rustic roadside restaurants and food stands along the way. I tried having lunch at a place called Dawns Grill, but they were still serving breakfast when I arrived. Further down near the dock, I found a small shack serving conch chowder and jerk chicken by the roadside. A lot of the locals seemed to hang out there, so I had some food and fresh juice for pretty cheap.

The time on the island is about 3 hours, and I was happy to escape the sterile corperate island of Harvest Caye. If you're the adventurous type, I would recommend this excursion, if only to experience some authentic Belizean culture.

If anyone has any questions about the experience, I will be happy to answer as best I can...

Placencia is a tourist area with expats so your Belize cultural experience will be very limited, sort of like going to cozumel and expecting to experience Mexico.

I am aware of that fact. My question was about the ferry ride from the island of Harvest Cay to the mainland town. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That fact was not directed to you. It was directed to the others who kept calling Placencia an island.

Given the 3 hour time frame that you have to work with, I'm not sure if it's possible at this point... But, if there continues to be greater demand, they may add more options as to time allotted in Placencia.

Can you take other tours from the Placencia area? Such as a snorkel excursion, or is there a beach? We have a group going in January 2018, and I am hating the idea of being stuck on Harvest Caye.

Can you take other tours from the Placencia area? Such as a snorkel excursion, or is there a beach? We have a group going in January 2018, and I am hating the idea of being stuck on Harvest Caye.

We liked Harvest caye, great beach day! I would not take a ferry to the mainland just to go to a different beach but I would do a snorkel trip if offered. I would feel more trapped by not being able to go back to the ship if I was not on an excursion.