Fee for paying with Credit card?

mrsgoggins

In Australia some TA's allow you to pay by credit card but through your bank's Bpay dont know what UK banks call it that way you are using the CC but not paying the % charge then you also get the free travel insurance offered

I'm in the US. I put almost everything on my airline miles card. Groceries, phone bill, utility bill, garbage bill, water bill, etc. The only thing I don't put on the card is gasoline. It's almost invariably $0.10 more per gallon using credit. For gas I use my debit card.

I used to use Discover Card a lot as I got cash back (still have it but rarely use it) but many merchants didn't take Discover as they were charged a higher fee for taking that card. A few years ago that changed and many more merchants started accepting Discover as payment. I still carry that on trips as it has no foreign transaction fee but don't really use it and only have it as a backup.

I have a credit card that pays 3% back on travel purchases so even with a 1.5% fee it is worth charging it on that card.

I will ask my TA about the 1.5% fee. The cruise we just booked was deposited with a Future Cruise Credit so nothing to follow up on my credit card with the deposit. But will find out about the balance due as in is the 1.5% built in or are we going to be charged 1.5% over and above that?

And the next question is prepaying gratuities and/or OBC. That would be paid for with a credit card. My questions would be what is the exchange rate and is there a 1.5% charge over and above?

Lots of questions. Stay tuned as I try and find answers :)