Hair straightener on the Breakaway

Njkc

Hi all, I was on the Gem last year and on sea days my straightener wouldn't stay on unless I kept hitting the power button. It was a bit frustrating. It worked fine when in port. Does anyone know a hair straightener that would work during sea days? Or if anyone has this problem on the breakaway? I would prefer to not have frizzy hair on sea days. :D

• 2 months later...

i am booked on the Norwegian cruise ship the Breakaway for this October headed to the Bahamas. i called them to ask about my hair straightener. i got a clear yes. hair straightener is allowed. i asked if i would need a conversion plug for it? no. not on the Norwegian Breakaway ship, i do not need a converter. i also asked if there was maybe a specific bag i should put it in(my checked luggage or my carry-on)? no. no difference there. the woman on NCL customer service phone line said it was entirely up to me which bag i wanted to put it in.

i would suggest to anyone with any similar kinds of questions to call their cruiselines customer service number beforehand if you are concerned about the specific cruiseline that you are taking having different rules and/or if you think you may need a converter based upon your specific ship, destination ports, etc.

my question was answered very easily over the phone without slack time waiting for them to check up on it, and it was responded to with certain & clear terms.

i am booked on the Norwegian cruise ship the Breakaway for this October headed to the Bahamas. i called them to ask about my hair straightener. i got a clear yes. hair straightener is allowed. i asked if i would need a conversion plug for it? no. not on the Norwegian Breakaway ship, i do not need a converter. i also asked if there was maybe a specific bag i should put it in(my checked luggage or my carry-on)? no. no difference there. the woman on NCL customer service phone line said it was entirely up to me which bag i wanted to put it in. i would suggest to anyone with any similar kinds of questions to call their cruiselines customer service number beforehand if you are concerned about the specific cruiseline that you are taking having different rules and/or if you think you may need a converter based upon your specific ship, destination ports, etc. my question was answered very easily over the phone without slack time waiting for them to check up on it, and it was responded to with certain & clear terms.

Depends on the question you are asking.

Yes, you can bring hair straighteners. That's simple and clearly stated in the passenger code of conduct.

The answer you provided about converters may be wrong. Converters depend on which country you are from and what ship you are sailing on. The Breakaway, specifically, has US 110V outlets and European 2-prong outlets. If you are from the UK or other countries that don't use one of those two types of outlets, you may need a converter to get your cord to plug into the 2 types of outlets available. Information about specific ship outlets and what types of plugs are used by different countries is not always available to the minimum-wage call center agents you get when you call the cruise line. They "google" their call center system and read what comes up on their screen (right or wrong).

Yes, you can bring hair straighteners. That's simple and clearly stated in the passenger code of conduct.

The answer you provided about converters may be wrong. Converters depend on which country you are from and what ship you are sailing on. The Breakaway, specifically, has US 110V outlets and European 2-prong outlets. If you are from the UK or other countries that don't use one of those two types of outlets, you may need a converter to get your cord to plug into the 2 types of outlets available. Information about specific ship outlets and what types of plugs are used by different countries is not always available to the minimum-wage call center agents you get when you call the cruise line. They "google" their call center system and read what comes up on their screen (right or wrong).

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items.

as stated on this list directly taken from the Norwegian Cruise Line website and listed as number 21:

"Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc."

and so, i have to disagree that a hair straightener is listed on the site as clearly ok. for such that a hair straightener - is also commonly referred to as a flat iron (at least it is here in the US)

also, i must refer you back to my response post. as i have added both my cruise destination(Bahamas) as well as the name of the ship(Norwegian Breakaway). for that which, only currently has departures from the US.

https://www.ncl.com/vacations?ships=Norwegian_Breakaway&destinations=Bahamas_%26_Florida_Cruises

i apologize if i made assumptions as to what it was that i believed an appropriate response. i thought i had provided clarity by giving those minute details of my ship and destination.

i also apologize if you somehow took offense to my detailed explanation of my own experiences with a customer service call. during this call the woman i spoke to certainly was not searching for an answer to my question on the web. she answered me almost instinctively, as if this was a question she has had to answer hundreds of times a day(which is more than likely the case) and with not even a slight or quiver of doubt in her voice.

Just bought a travel flat iron by Chi that is battery operated. Comes with the rechargeable battery, wall socket recharger and strangely a car charger. It was originall 69.99 but got it on sale for 39.99. So you could check with your hair stylist about this. That way, you wouldn't run into that problem again, plus it is a little smaller than my regular sized Chi, so more room on luggage for you souvenirs!

your sentiments expressed in this post among other responses by you across this site, (as well as your penchant toward almost constantly correcting others) leads me now to the realization that i had no need to express apologies in my response to you.

and just a few quick fyi:

- i didn't ask any question. i merely shared my own findings on the subject of hair straighteners.

- other than within the realms of historical context, a flat iron is indeed a hair straightener.

- and last but certainly not least - you obviously do not use this type of item or understand what it is, so you do not need to respond to any other threads about this subject and should probably just refrain from such.

**other people can be just as pompous as you, but unlike you they usually try not to be for the sake of civility**

Just bought a travel flat iron by Chi that is battery operated. Comes with the rechargeable battery, wall socket recharger and strangely a car charger. It was originall 69.99 but got it on sale for 39.99. So you could check with your hair stylist about this. That way, you wouldn't run into that problem again, plus it is a little smaller than my regular sized Chi, so more room on luggage for you souvenirs!

this is really a great idea, and a total score. i had no idea that there were rechargeable versions.

• 1 month later...

I was reviewing my e-docs for a December cruise and the list of prohibited items now seems to include curling irons and hair dryers.

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Current text of #21:

"Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, curling irons, hair dryers, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc."

As referenced in a post above, the text from August did not include curling irons or hair dryers.

"Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc."

Are there any recent/current cruisers that have been able to bring their own hair irons/dryers?

I was reviewing my e-docs for a December cruise and the list of prohibited items now seems to include curling irons and hair dryers.

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Current text of #21:

"Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, curling irons, hair dryers, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc."

As referenced in a post above, the text from August did not include curling irons or hair dryers.

Are there any recent/current cruisers that have been able to bring their own hair irons/dryers?

I would suggest calling the cruise line directly as far as a curling iron is concerned, as I did with the flat iron. There may be no difference to them and so it may be allowed because it will also be concidered a "personal appliance". But a quick phone call can't hurt.

To be clear though, I did only ask on the phone call that I had particularly about my flat iron/straightener. With that in mind curling irons tend to - more often than not - have "exposed" heating and hot surface plating on the outside of them; so I would check with them [the particular cruise line] directly.

Also, a hair dryer is provided within each room above a vanity set up much like that of which is inside of a hotel/motel room. I have seen on other message boards with similar questions about them, instances of people having them being confiscated and witheld.

note on this though: ( so far I have read )

that in the event of a bags contents being questioned, and in the event that there is reason to believe it contains restricted items(such as heating element object like hair dryers, or even alcohol) when the bag needs to be opened. - it is opened and then searched for contraband. It is opened though almost solely only by the guest (unless it may be considered dangerous or criminal) and then searched only in the prescence of the guest to which it belongs. Also only when that guest- will be/is - called down in person to open the said bag, will also be asked about the prescence of any such item.

(and as for alcohol- the item is usually also returned upon the last night at sea of your cruise)

I think the "flat iron" they may be referring to is a clothes iron, not a hair straightener. However in my opinion the statement that says "anything containing any kind of a heating element" probably rules out a hair straightener. Heck you are on vacation, let your hair be on one too.

I think the "flat iron" they may be referring to is a clothes iron, not a hair straightener. However in my opinion the statement that says "anything containing any kind of a heating element" probably rules out a hair straightener. Heck you are on vacation, let your hair be on one too.

As I posted earlier along this thread:

A hair straightener is allowed.

( It is also not required to be in any particular baggage or anything of that nature )

I spoke to and also posted the discussion I had with a NCL customer service representative .. right here on this same thread as well.

And while historically a "Flat iron" is referred to as being used for pressing and smoothing clothing: in present day terminology it is more so used in terms of a hair straightening appliance.

As for not bringing it, I personally use one for my hairstyle as a part of my (almost) everyday routine.

So I would much rather feel comfortable and confident with my appearance while on my vaction than to not.

1. Don't always believe what you are told on the phone, the PCC's have been known to make mistakes and they won't care what you were told if they won't allow it, they take it. Again the question is simple...Does it have a heating element? If the answer is yes it might be confiscated. My guess is there is a better chance of getting a battery powered one on board the one that has an a cord.

2. The reason I think they mean a clothes iron is that it wasn't mentioned as an item on their list and we know it is a prohibited item. Who know the age of the person who writes these lists.

3 I was trying to be funny( it didn't work) about your hair, believe me when I say I understand about hairstyles.

I did not speak to a personal cruise consultant. I guess I must have one though I do not know who it may be, nor their name and did not book the cruise with one nor speak to anyone at all at the time of my booking.

I did however speak to a different telephone number line for NCL, which handled only questions about baggage restrictions, weight limits and other concerns in relation to specific item questions.

Also clothing irons are in fact listed on another list as specifically prohibited items follows under a tab labeled and is written as such :

What can't I bring onboard?Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship:

Irons / Ironing Boards and Steamers

Guests are not permitted to bring and use their own irons or steamers onboard. Norwegian Cruise Line carries a limited number of irons and ironing boards which can be loaned to guests for a few hours at a time. They can be requested through housekeeping or Guest Services Desk.

Irons and steamers would both be taken from guests at embarkation and returned at the end of the sailing.

and well, if that was a joke I did not realize that & ok, and also haha.

Edited by jdlovingtheabilitytoanswe

I have a small portable Conair combination flatiron/curling iron that is nowhere near the size of a full-size curling iron. There's no way a tiny heating element like this would fall under the same common-sense rules as a clothes iron or hot plate or space heater. I plan to bring it on the Jade next month.

But then again I'm new to cruising and may be naive. Do they search through your bags?