Design functionality is another consideration when choosing which company to travel w

steverhodes

In an earlier post, I suggested that, since there were few common rooms on a river ship, you should consider what design aesthetic you wanted to be surrounded by a week or more.

There is another part to design, which is the functionality. Again, let's look at the Viking dining room vs. the Uniworld one.

On river cruises, one of the things I enjoy most is looking out the windows at breakfast (1 hour typical), lunch (1-1.5 hours) and dinner (1.5-2.5 hours). Our favorite time to travel is early July when the days are long, so there are usually great views out the windows at all meals.

The heavy curtains at the top of the windows on Uniworld block a considerable portion of the view, especially if you don't get a table right by the window. In contrast, the thinner Viking curtains are tight to the sides blocking almost nothing, and you get good views and light from all over the dining room.

Sure, there are other things to consider, but, when we built our house we went for the big open Viking type windows. We love looking at the views.

a5874cb8c593cf2f5c4a4d94a250bdd0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's another picture of the same restaurant during the day:

889-BaroqueRestaurant2.jpg

I have not been on Maria Theresa, but I have been on the SS Antoinette which is a sister ship. What I can say about the dining room is that the space is light and bright and while the windows in the dining room are only half height as opposed to full length, the view is completely unobstructed. There are many, many spaces on this ship that have full length windows as well including the Atrium, pool, most cabins, the salon, the leopard lounge and many, many other spaces onboard. I believe the half wall was selected in the dining room in order to place tables against window walls as shown in the photo above. So the half wall is functional. The other thing is that, most of the time when at breakfast or lunch, we were not cruising, and then at dinner, it was dark outside, so not a whole lot to look at during any of those times.

I have read that Viking is frequently rafted with other river ships, so I wonder how those windows work when Viking is rafted? Are meals served while the ships are rafted or only when cruising? In terms of Uniworld, our ship was only rafted during boarding and then never again, so I don't have the experience of being rafted in any of the ports to know the effect of that on the dining room and other spaces onboard.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Design functionality to me is relevant in terms of how ships handle high and low water conditions, and not the type of draperies used in the dining room. We have passed many an empty Viking boat over the years, and were able to navigate on the river when their passengers were on buses.

The dining room on the new JDV has a fabric covered ceiling, which greatly reduced noise levels and improved acoustics considerably. This was a nice feature and we did notice the improvement.

That being said, dining room windows and window treatments have never been a consideration for me in 15 river cruises, and certainly would not impact any future decisions on what line to choose. It is the dining experience itself that matters to me. Food quality and variety; wine quality; service levels - these are far more important than window decor.

Design functionality to me is relevant in terms of how ships handle high and low water conditions, and not the type of draperies used in the dining room. We have passed many an empty Viking boat over the years, and were able to navigate on the river when their passengers were on buses.

The dining room on the new JDV has a fabric covered ceiling, which greatly reduced noise levels and improved acoustics considerably. This was a nice feature and we did notice the improvement.

That being said, dining room windows and window treatments have never been a consideration for me in 15 river cruises, and certainly would not impact any future decisions on what line to choose. It is the dining experience itself that matters to me. Food quality and variety; wine quality; service levels - these are far more important than window decor.

To each his own.

When I spend 4+ hours per day in the dining room, the full height and unobstructed windows of Viking are a huge plus for me.

0ca5b407aa56e2803ea2da86ae640c06.jpg

adfc6bac3a56a9acfbb683207269bd53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn't agree more! Having just sailed on the SS Antoinette, I didn't find the window treatments to be obstructive at all. In fact, I couldn't even tell you what they looked like. In fact, the only tables NOT located next to windows were those for the larger parties traveling together. We did sit centrally, one night, and all that mattered was being able to see those who I was dining with, because socializing is what is important to me.

I will also add that passenger volume is also important, and level of service, with regard to crew:passenger ratio........

Robin

Robin,

You brought up a good question. I couldn't remember what the window treatments in the SS Antoinette's dining room looked like either because in the dining room I'm paying more attention to socializing with others at my table and my food than looking outside. I must admit, although I'm a chef, I was wowed by the food we had on that ship and the excellent wines. (I only ate local - nothing from the everyday menu - it was all so good!) Anyway, I found a photo - they are roman shades:

titan-uniworld-trip-to-amsterdam.-041.jpg

Robin,

You brought up a good question. I couldn't remember what the window treatments in the SS Antoinette's dining room looked like either because in the dining room I'm paying more attention to socializing with others at my table and my food than looking outside. I must admit, although I'm a chef, I was wowed by the food we had on that ship and the excellent wines. (I only ate local - nothing from the everyday menu - it was all so good!) Anyway, I found a photo - they are roman shades:

titan-uniworld-trip-to-amsterdam.-041.jpg

Thanks! I looked through my pictures, and have a lot of the menus, and food, but nothing of the dining room itself.

With Uniworld, you can look at the various spaces and recognize which ship you were on and what area you were sailing in. For example, I posted a photo of the atrium on the Maria Theresa, here's the atrium of the SS Antoinette:

frontdesk.jpg

It's completely different so by just looking at this photo and I immediately recognize this was a Rhine River cruise.

Oddly, without being able to explain it really, I do not like full length windows in a dining room. It makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes. The Belvedere has them as well but I was at a table for six so did not really notice it much. I think it must be a kind of primeval instinct thing, I certainly could not sit with my back to the window.

I saw the S.S. Antoinette in Koblenz and got a glimpse of the chandelier through the door. I took a photo from the embankment and chatted to a nice Canadian gentleman on the ship. I would have loved to just walk over the landing stage and join them for dinner, it looked so inviting.

notamermaid

Oddly, without being able to explain it really, I do not like full length windows in a dining room. It makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes. The Belvedere has them as well but I was at a table for six so did not really notice it much. I think it must be a kind of primeval instinct thing, I certainly could not sit with my back to the window.

I saw the S.S. Antoinette in Koblenz and got a glimpse of the chandelier through the door. I took a photo from the embankment and chatted to a nice Canadian gentleman on the ship. I would have loved to just walk over the landing stage and join them for dinner, it looked so inviting.

notamermaid

It may be that you are feeling like the full length windows would make you feel like you are on display. Certainly, one would have to be very conscious of where our skirts were and our leg positions under the table on ship that has full length windows. And even IF the windows are filmed, if you can see out, it still feels like they can see in. So I totally understand what you mean.

If you think about it, even in land based restaurants, people generally don't generally like full length windows unless they are facing an area where people are not walking or driving by. There's a restaurant on one of the squares in Savannah that had a round platform (one step up) and several tables in a bay window type area and we got seated there one morning for breakfast next to the window. Then the tour bus came by followed by several carriages and we felt like we were a sight on the tour.

Great to have choices, isn't it? :)

As I said when started this series of conversations, there are NO right answers. When I see ornate settings and guys dressed up, I know that is certainly not the cruise line for me. Otherwise will have different opinions.

Great to have choices, isn't it? :)

I'm a retired Silicon Valley software designer. I haven't owned a tie or a suit in over 20 years. And even a long time age when I had both, it was extremely rare for me to wear either. I'm sure not buying one to go on vacation.

I'm a retired Silicon Valley software designer. I haven't owned a tie or a suit in over 20 years. And even a long time age when I had both, it was extremely rare for me to wear either. I'm sure not buying one to go on vacation.

So YOU are crossing yourself AND your wife out of many amazing experiences because YOU don't want to dress correctly for them. That's too bad.

It may be that you are feeling like the full length windows would make you feel like you are on display. Certainly, one would have to be very conscious of where our skirts were and our leg positions under the table on ship that has full length windows. And even IF the windows are filmed, if you can see out, it still feels like they can see in. So I totally understand what you mean.

I guess we spend to much time eating out on patios along our waterways, as that's one thing that I would never think of. One of the things I am a little disappointed with when reviewing restaurants in Amsterdam...there aren't that many that have patios along the canals. We had been looking forward to eating and enjoying the view.

When I see ornate settings and guys dressed up, I know that is certainly not the cruise line for me.

Generic ship designs/decor are a real turn off for me personally. I prefer individuality in design and decor and even more so when that is aesthetically pleasing.

And I do enjoy lines where guests still dress nicely for dinner. We do as that is our preference.

Uniworld's decor in general is bit over the top for my tastes but I am a guest for a week and not living with that opulence full time. Their amazing beds and Christy of England plush towels in their bathrooms are worth putting up with a little frou-frou IMO.:halo:

I guess we spend to much time eating out on patios along our waterways, as that's one thing that I would never think of. One of the things I am a little disappointed with when reviewing restaurants in Amsterdam...there aren't that many that have patios along the canals. We had been looking forward to eating and enjoying the view.

You know, I had not really thought about that but you are right. Have you tried La Rive?

So YOU are crossing yourself AND your wife out of many amazing experiences because YOU don't want to dress correctly for them. That's too bad.

Guess it comes from my background in the tech world. I worked at Apple with Steve Jobs and at other companies. Don't remember ever seeing Steve in a tie, much less a suit. Maybe he owned some. He sure didn't wear them. When we would go out to really fancy places, no one wore coats and ties.

My wife and I have traveled the world many, many times, mainly on our own, but also on 6 Viking cruises. We have never needed to dress up.

But if, on some cruise, you have to buy "dress up" clothes to go on vacation, we just don't pick that cruise. I don't think we've missed anything.

If you are happier dressed up, that's fine. Perhaps you did that when you were working, so it comes more naturally to you. Whatever. That's fine.

The main reason I've been raising these issues are just as something to think about if your are a first-time river cruiser or if you are someone thinking about trying a different company.

I have tried to say more than once that there are NO right answers. There are, however, things that are important to one person that may not be as important to the next.

We have been on 3 Uniworld cruises. We are retired to South Florida most of the year and never, ever dress up. My husband usually brings a sport coat while my brother dresses in dockers and a Cuban type (short sleeve) dress shirt for the welcome and farewell dinners. Neither were out of place and my brother was dressed like a number of the other male passengers. In fact I remember very few men dressed in suits. Women tended to wear sundresses or slacks/skirts with a nice top. This is not formal night on an ocean cruise ship!

Generic ship designs/decor are a real turn off for me personally. I prefer individuality in design and decor and even more so when that is aesthetically pleasing.

And I do enjoy lines where guests still dress nicely for dinner. We do as that is our preference.

Uniworld's decor in general is bit over the top for my tastes but I am a guest for a week and not living with that opulence full time. Their amazing beds and Christy of England plush towels in their bathrooms are worth putting up with a little frou-frou IMO.:halo:

I agree and because the staterooms are all different, some are more toned down than others and I would choose one of those. But even on land, we like to stay in interesting places like The Witchery by The Castle in Edinburgh:

http://www.thewitchery.com/dine

We had The Old Rectory Suite - it was really a fun place!

or

Adobe Grand Villas in Sedona, AZ

http://www.adobegrandvillas.com

We've stayed in several different rooms there.

or

Royal Palms in Scottsdale, AZ

http://www.royalpalmshotel.com

or

The Epic in Miami, FL

http://www.epichotel.com

If we have more time, we'd stay at the Fontainebleu

or

Hotel Monteleone in NOLA

http://hotelmonteleone.com

or

The Salish Lodge in Salish, WA

https://www.salishlodge.com

At least these places make sense given where we are. We've also stayed in plantation houses and lots of different and interesting B&B's. The funniest was a B&B run by a pair of retired elementary school teachers in a small town in East Texas. They were very strict and they gave us laminated rules we had to follow! But I knew ahead of time from reviews and clued in the other couple we were traveling with as they actually had the nicest inn in town in terms of accommodations. Oh my gosh, we were laughing so hard - but not in front of the owners, who I truly believe meant well, but had no business whatsoever being in the hospitality business. And in fact, I think they knew that as they had the inn up for sale and sold it a few months later. Staying with them was like being in elementary school all over again. I'm sure they were good teachers and kept order in the classroom, though.

Guess it comes from my background in the tech world. I worked at Apple with Steve Jobs and at other companies. Don't remember ever seeing Steve in a tie, much less a suit. Maybe he owned some. He sure didn't wear them. When we would go out to really fancy places, no one wore coats and ties.

My wife and I have traveled the world many, many times, mainly on our own, but also on 6 Viking cruises. We have never needed to dress up.

But if, on some cruise, you have to buy "dress up" clothes to go on vacation, we just don't pick that cruise. I don't think we've missed anything.

If you are happier dressed up, that's fine. Perhaps you did that when you were working, so it comes more naturally to you. Whatever. That's fine.

The main reason I've been raising these issues are just as something to think about if your are a first-time river cruiser or if you are someone thinking about trying a different company.

I have tried to say more than once that there are NO right answers. There are, however, things that are important to one person that may not be as important to the next.

I also worked in the tech world back in the day and traveled all over as a computer consultant to Fortune 200 companies. Yes, of course I was dressed in a business suit just like my clients. Steve Jobs owned both tuxes and suits and I would see him around at various events, so I think you are wrong thinking he didn't dress up. In fact everyone did that I knew - maybe not your group if you were a developer - but if you were meeting with clients, dressing up was the rule. Steve Jobs probably didn't dress up when with his employees or at employee events, even in fancy restaurants, because that is the type of work environment he created for you, but outside of work, he did indeed dress up whenever it was appropriate:

article-2046031-0E4040E600000578-532_634x592.jpg

8478_03_SM_RTboh.jpg

And also Steve Wozniak dressed up:

2BF800C900000578-3222400-image-a-1_1441370853330.jpg

and Bill Gates:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgk06QCCvAIqv-n_NCGQIk59kaPPEEy2o9C92ra69ZJ6-GICRP

ballmer_gates.jpg