Norwegian Pearl - Banging Noise Seems To Be Inside Walls/Floor

MrMagooAZ

We are currently on the Norwegian Pearl in Alaska. Cabin 11564. Sailing from Seattle on 5/28.

Starting about midnight, we started hearing a banging noise. It started softly, then got louder and louder. I would call the noise semi-regular, but not certain if it is caused by a mechanical process.

If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like someone beating on a pipe with a large wrench or other metal piece.

It would start, get louder, then be so loud the floor would vibrate, then get softer and stop for a few mins. On Monday it happened for a few mins, but last night (Tuesday) it went on for 45-60 mins. Other folks heard it on our deck (11) as well as the one below us (10).

We had a security officer and a mechanic up here last night. They indicated that his had happened before on other cruises. The mechanic even said it had been happening since the ship went through refurbishment this past February.

Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing happening either on Pearl or another ship? I searched some threads and found some noise-issue posts. One was from 2008 for Carnival Splendor where the OP said they actually had to move cabins so they could tear the wall apart.

A new cabin would be a challenge for us, as we are in a mini-suite, and I doubt that there are any similar or above staterooms available.

We have spoken with the Hotel Director, who has said he is talking with the Chief Engineer. So far, no fix.

Anyone seen or heard of this? Advice for what to do? Would like the issue just resolved, but if I move cabins, I want to get what I'm paying for.

Thanks in advance.

Happened to us I think on the Jewel. It was every night and we were under the buffet. It was many hours and awful. Also there were loud banging noises I thought sounded like they were working on the elevators. We complained to the hotel director but the person in charge of housekeeping managed to move us to another cabin when someone left the ship on Wednesday (probably an entertainer). We went from an inside to a balcony so that helped and they did move out stuff

You know how sometimes they have the promo when the 3rd and 4th person sails free?

Well, they have to put them somewhere. So, they put them in random little rooms along with those that attempted to smuggle water - yes smuggle water onboard. That noise you hear may be some poor soul banging their head over and over until they pass out. Once the other persons wakes them up, it starts again.

You know how sometimes they have the promo when the 3rd and 4th person sails free?

Well, they have to put them somewhere. So, they put them in random little rooms along with those that attempted to smuggle water - yes smuggle water onboard. That noise you hear may be some poor soul banging their head over and over until they pass out. Once the other persons wakes them up, it starts again.

Exactly.

We are currently on the Norwegian Pearl in Alaska. Cabin 11564. Sailing from Seattle on 5/28.

Starting about midnight, we started hearing a banging noise. It started softly, then got louder and louder. I would call the noise semi-regular, but not certain if it is caused by a mechanical process.

If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like someone beating on a pipe with a large wrench or other metal piece.

It would start, get louder, then be so loud the floor would vibrate, then get softer and stop for a few mins. On Monday it happened for a few mins, but last night (Tuesday) it went on for 45-60 mins. Other folks heard it on our deck (11) as well as the one below us (10).

We had a security officer and a mechanic up here last night. They indicated that his had happened before on other cruises. The mechanic even said it had been happening since the ship went through refurbishment this past February.

Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing happening either on Pearl or another ship? I searched some threads and found some noise-issue posts. One was from 2008 for Carnival Splendor where the OP said they actually had to move cabins so they could tear the wall apart.

A new cabin would be a challenge for us, as we are in a mini-suite, and I doubt that there are any similar or above staterooms available.

We have spoken with the Hotel Director, who has said he is talking with the Chief Engineer. So far, no fix.

Anyone seen or heard of this? Advice for what to do? Would like the issue just resolved, but if I move cabins, I want to get what I'm paying for.

Thanks in advance.

The problem is trying to isolate what's causing the sound - you're basically in a large metal box (the ship) with all kinds of systems (engines, sanitary, kitchens, laundry, you name it) running and moving, often at odd times and for sometimes random intervals. Since you're in the middle of the ship, the noise could be coming from anywhere in the service areas across the hall, or just being transmitted through the ship's structure.

But none of that helps, I know. I would agree that you should stay on this with the hotel director. Be courteous but firm...you don't deserve to have an expensive vacation ruined. They should move you if they can, or compensate you some other way that you feel is acceptable.

Why not make an audio visual recording and post it, we got engineers to run it thru the spectrum analyzer and scope, etc. Don't we ?

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I'm sorry you're experiencing the noise problem. If it only happens during the night and there isn't an equivalent stateroom to change to I'd ask the hotel director for another stateroom for sleeping purposes and keep your mini-suite as your regular stateroom. It is somewhat of a hassle but you would at least get a good nights sleep.

Make sure it's not the hangers in the closet. That happened to us the noise was driving us crazy we called the desk they investigated found nothing then the room steward came in and pushed the hangers together and there was no more noise. We felt a little silly after that lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same thing happened to us on the Gem. We were told it was the pool heater or the employees power washing the pool deck at night. It was awful. We had the concierge and butler listen to it so they knew we weren't making it up. They offered us a normal balcony room to use at night just to sleep, but we declined it. So they gave us a $500 obc and created a case number for us to submit when we got home. We did and my husband and I received a $675 credit each for a future cruise within one year.

Others in cabins on Deck 11 mid ship have heard what you have heard before and it has never been explained. Officers won't speak of it, but the crew members have told stories of a crewman that was found dead in the kids pool on Deck 12 a few years ago and they never solved his murder. They say his spirit only makes the racket when he is cold.

We were on the Pearl last week in room 11519 inside. Our room also had a strange noise around 11pm-12am. One night while on the pool deck enjoying the hot tub, a crew came out, emptied the swimming pool and started demolishing the swimming pool and the side rails. They were making all sorts of racket. I wonder if they're still having issues? This happened last Friday night. I hope you get some answers!