Mi-fi use

kdowneymd

Haven't tried but... In order to use any kind of WiFi you will need to use the ship WiFi. Any data plan that gives you WiFi is horrendously expensive. I get free WiFi minutes for being Platinum or I wouldn't have any access at all. No way do I care enough to pay for being connected to "the world". However, we do plan to use Verizon's WiFi calling if needed. I tried it out here at home (killed data on my phone and used the WiFi calling feature) and it worked fine.

I may be confused (not a stretch to imagine) but I thought the MiFi just used your data plan to provide multiple WiFi access points. If so then, like I said above, that would be horrendously expensive. If I am mistaken please let me know as I am always happy to learn new things.

Mi-Fi works off of the cell towers on land. You "should" be able to use the Verizon device in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. I was able to get phone service in all of those ports. Do you have a smart phone? Why bother with Mi-Fi? There are not a whole lot of free Wi-Fi in those ports. That was surprising. I inquired in a wireless phone store about Verizon usage. She assured me that there was Verizon coverage in Alaska (even though it was called something else).

I do have a smart phone but when using my iPad to read the newspaper I find that the Verizon device is faster than using my phone as a personal hotspot

Only if you are in range of shore side cell towers.

The alternative is the ship based service.

Outside on the side of the ship facing land in port, decent enough service. Elsewhere, little to zero chance.

Not sure what Verizon charges for MiFi roaming in Canadian waters but be aware there will be a charge of some sort.

Not sure what Verizon charges for MiFi roaming in Canadian waters but be aware there will be a charge of some sort.

I wonder if it will roam to MTN?

I hope the original poster is able to report back on their experience after the cruise.

Check out the Verizon "TravelPass". In Canada you pay $5 for 24 access to your domestic plan minutes, text and data. It doesn't cost anything to put on your account and won't cost anything if you never use it.

It also helps you avoid roaming charges because even if you connect to a distant tower the most it should cost you is $5 for a 24 hour period. Just be absolutely certain you are not connected to the ships tower, that's $2.99 per minute for calling. Look at your phone and verify it does NOT say "Cellular at Sea", that's the ships cell service.

Outside on the side of the ship facing land in port, decent enough service. Elsewhere, little to zero chance.

I agree. We picked up Rogers in many areas where I thought we were in the US.