Is the Island Princess REALLY that bad???

Lyndihop

;)

It is becoming very clear by the comments that the only people who like Island Princess after the "destruction" are the people who have never cruised on it prior and know better. They are also the people who have never cruised on a premium line ship like the ships of Celebrity cruises where they have larger ships and less people. The people who like Island Princess after the "destruction" are relatively new to Princess cruises and have not experienced the better or past greatness of what Princess has on offer, they are also new to cruising or may have jumped up from low end lines that cater to mass crowds.

It is very clear that people who have been with Princess for decades and know what the cruise line is like and have more in depth knowledge of ships find the changes of Island Princess a total abomination. People who have cruised with Princess longer know the difference between the Grand class and the enlarged Grand class. People who have cruised with Princess longer are the ones likely to blacklist the Island Princess after the destructive changes and will be more vocal about it.

Of course there is always the exception to the rule who could not care less about what type of ship they go on and are dictated to by low prices, such people who are dictated by price definitely will not have strong opinions about the ship.

You don't speak for all of us seasoned cruisers. We loved the ship, sailed on her before and after the refit.

And with 55 Princess cruises , and we have sailed on every Princess ship . I wouldn't call it my favorite ship, but had a really nice cruise experience while on board.

LOVE your attitude! just like mine when i travel. You win some you lose some!

My husband and i are going on the panama cruise in march next year. I have reserved a mini suite on Deck 10 aft and my only concern is vibration noise? have done many princess cruises ( all without problem) but never done aft! any thoughts please!

I seriously doubt that we will find the Island Princess to be anything but wonderful. I have yet to see perfection anywhere--on any ship, even at home--and have found most criticisms of ships to be very subjective and somewhat snobbish. Sure, the addition of a hundred staterooms has changed the ship, but on the other hand I have never been on the Island before so what I find will be great. Our first cruise was on the NCL POA, and then we repeated the cruise several years later. Comparing the two, we found the crew--American, by the way--to be sadly inferior to the first crew which was international during its first few cruises. But guess what--we still enjoyed the cruise! It may be that on the IP Anytime Dining causes us to change our favorite time to eat, but so what? We will not starve. Just check out the videos of MDR food offerings and also the Horizon Court buffet. It could be that a bit of rust may be found, but check out the underside of your car at home. If the steward is late for cleaning your cabin, just give her/him a call or a comment when you pass in the passageway--besides, do you expect that kind of daily work from your spouse at home? I am sure that we will enjoy the wonders of this ship and crew immensely, as long as we don't expect God to stop the universe to suit our whims, as some posters seem to expect,

my feelings too. I have booked for the 25th march! Let me know how you go please . I have booked aft cabin on C deck:confused:

Well, we're booked for a Panama Canal for February if 19. I've convinced myself that if we sailed the old Tropicale we could sail any ship. The mini suite looks very well appointed. And larger than the Celebrity balcony cabins we've had. What I see of the ship looks beautiful. We booked early dining. So that shouldn't be an issue. Just have to get to the theater a bit early. No big deal. We have as a perk the beverage package. So we'll enjoy a glass or two before the show starts. :rolleyes:

good to see a positive comment. What cabin did you have?;)

I just came off the Island Princess this morning. Although I have never sailed on Coral so I have no comparison, we loved the ship!!!!

;)

You don't speak for all of us seasoned cruisers. We loved the ship, sailed on her before and after the refit.

And with 55 Princess cruises , and we have sailed on every Princess ship . I wouldn't call it my favorite ship, but had a really nice cruise experience while on board.

I couldn't agree more. That 19-day Panama cruise last November was number 57 for me. It was one of my favorite cruises. BTW, for those that complained there was no where to dance, the Wheelhouse Bar had live music until midnight, and from 10:00 pm to Midnight, so did the Explorer's.

;)

Thanks for saying what I was thinking!! Looking forward to our Island cruise next year!

• 4 weeks later...
with all these people bitching and moaning, you do have so many other cruise ships and cruise lines to choose from.

Its your money, spent it were you feel comfortable and pampered, if you need to complain go camping with relatives.:cool:

Last time I checked.......this was a public discussion cruising forum right? and the OP did ask questions? :confused:

We sailed on the Island in Alaska, overall I liked the ship EXCEPT for the gym. They moved it from a top deck with great views like on other ships, to a inside room with NO windows and it is VERY small. For that reason, we will not sail on the island again.

We had one of the new aft suites on the Island in April for a 21 day panama canal cruise, and had no problems with it. We found the ships crew to be one of the best we've had on Princess, very well run ship, at the time. We had no problems getting a seat in the theater, and didn't feel like the ship was overcrowded with people. We had traditional dinning, so I can't comment on what the anytime dinning was like. We always choose traditional because I don't like any kind of line up if I can avoid it, and it's one less decision to make. I really liked what they have done with the Horizon Court. I certainly wouldn't hesitate sailing on the Island again. We went on this cruise with an open mind, and glad we did, as there were so many negative reviews of the ship after the reconfiguration that I was a bit worried, but it was a great cruise, a well run ship, and ranks right up there with the best of the cruises we've had.

We were on the Island in 2012 then this last January we were on her for the Panama Canal. There were differences but they were not horrible. You just get use to it like most ships are different anyway. We enjoyed being on her again even with the differences. Sometimes I just think that people like to complain.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone sailed in one of the new, accessible, aft suites on Promenade deck? Specifically PR726 or 727? Likes and dislikes about these?

Still looking for comments regarding these suites. There has to be some CC'ers that have experienced these.