Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

Nice. I have the same attitude also being old and retired. I have never worn a tie anywhere in decades much less on a ship. Of late I have been wearing my short sleeved guayabera shirt with khaki pants on formal nights. It is so comfortable.

I hear about these "Guayabera " shirts. Anyone have a pic?

Nice. I have the same attitude also being old and retired. I have never worn a tie anywhere in decades much less on a ship. Of late I have been wearing my short sleeved guayabera shirt with khaki pants on formal nights. It is so comfortable.

I took your recommendation about a guayabera shirt a few cruises ago instead of my one old long sleeve shirt I bought 14 years ago (for cruising only) and the only regret I have now is that my wife keeps hounding me to buy another one.

One will do me for a long time since I rarely use it at home for anything. ;)

I took your recommendation about a guayabera shirt a few cruises ago instead of my one old long sleeve shirt I bought 14 years ago (for cruising only) and the only regret I have now is that my wife keeps hounding me to buy another one.

One will do me for a long time since I rarely use it at home for anything. ;)

Checked them online. Quite similar to the fly fishing shirts we have up here. Obviously supremely comfy in warm climates. I do wear my shirts on the cruises during the day & on excursions. The river shirts I have hold up very well for the times we get knocked off our tubes on the river tubing excursions we do.

Checked them online. Quite similar to the fly fishing shirts we have up here. Obviously supremely comfy in warm climates. I do wear my shirts on the cruises during the day & on excursions. The river shirts I have hold up very well for the times we get knocked off our tubes on the river tubing excursions we do.

They're also very appropriate for formal nights in the DR. No heavy jacket required.

Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

The way saxtdiver describes dressing is well within the guidelines that Princess allows. He is not ignoring any dress code whatsoever. If the way he dresses is not what you consider appropriate then perhaps another more formal cruise line might be better suited for you.

Please review Princess's dress code examples and you'll find they have changed. Things are not as formal as they once were.

btw- I dress similarly and is it is very comfortable.

being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and i and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the mdr on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

+1.

Our advice (based on more then a 1000 nights of cruise experience) is that you dress the way that pleases YOU.....and not give a hoot about others :). On most Princess cruises, DW and I will "dress to the nines" on formal nights (we are talking a Tux...and formal outfits). We always have Anytime Dining....and will sometimes ask the Maitre'd (or whoever is doing the seating) to share a large table of well dressed cruisers. That always gets a smile....and often we get our wish. We really have no problem with those that prefer to not dress up....but on formal nights we enjoy being with other like-minded cruisers. Our other pet peeve is being stuck at a table with folks that enjoy playing with their Smartphones, texting, etc. When that happens, if its soon after we are seated we may quietly excuse ourselves and ask to be seated elsewhere. If it happens during the meal we will not complain, finish our meal, be polite....but Never sit with those folks again. Call me old fashioned, but we think that texting and browsing the web...while at a dinner table..is simply rude! The reality is that many folks (especially younger folks) now lack the social skills to interact with others...except via social networking. Sad!

Hank

The way saxtdiver describes dressing is well within the guidelines that Princess allows. He is not ignoring any dress code whatsoever. If the way he dresses is not what you consider appropriate then perhaps another more formal cruise line might be better suited for you.

Please review Princess's dress code examples and you'll find they have changed. Things are not as formal as they once were.

btw- I dress similarly and is it is very comfortable.

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slax (from current answer book - nothing changed)

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slax (from current answer book - nothing changed)

Yes, those are definitely examples given for those that want to dress formally but they also say (for the casual crowd) "or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" which gives a lot of leeway to the non-formalists.

It allows everyone to be comfortable in the DR on formal nights no matter what their choice of dress.

Yes, those are definitely examples given for those that want to dress formally but they also say (for the casual crowd) "or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" which gives a lot of leeway to the non-formalists.

It allows everyone to be comfortable in the DR on formal nights no matter what their choice of dress.[

Please read it again if you have a copy of the answer book - my post was directly from the formal wear guide for formal nights - there is also a casual dress guide for non formal nights - it appears you are posting your opinion and not fact

Please read it again if you have a copy of the answer book - my post was directly from the formal wear guide for formal nights - there is also a casual dress guide for non formal nights - it appears you are posting your opinion and not fact

I read from the Princess web site about what should people pack for a cruise. Not only is it perfectly clear but it agrees with everything I've experienced on the ships for many, many cruises in the past number of years.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. When packing, bring wrinkle-free items or try rolling your clothes. "

It may not be what some people want to see but it give choices which is all that Princess wants to do.

Make everyone happy.

It allows everyone to be comfortable in the DR on formal nights no matter what their choice of dress.[

There are other threads that mention a discrepancy on Princess formal dress. There is a FAQ section about packing which lists the pants/dress shirt rather than the suit or tux. I had to look up what a guayabera shirt is, and while it looks casual to me it is described as formal wear - especially in the Caribbean climates.

I read from the Princess web site about what should people pack for a cruise. Not only is it perfectly clear but it agrees with everything I've experienced on the ships for many, many cruises in the past number of years.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. When packing, bring wrinkle-free items or try rolling your clothes. "

It may not be what some people want to see but it give choices which is all that Princess wants to do.

Make everyone happy.

You must have a different copy of the answer book - I just downloaded it and it states exactly what I posted for formal nights in the MDR - I guess you can do whatever you please

Make everyone happy.

Read further down the page under Smart Casual and Formal please

Read further down the page under Smart Casual and Formal please

I did & it's just as I posted. Perhaps we just see it differently but to me it's plain a day. How could it be any plainer?

However I do cheat a bit.(I don't wear ties) ;);)

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

I did & it's just as I posted. Perhaps we just see it differently but to me it's plain a day. How could it be any plainer?

However I do cheat a bit.(I don't wear ties) ;);)

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

This applies to general - Read down the page to the section Casual attire and Formal attire - or - download a new copy of the answer book or I can attach a PDF

This applies to general - Read down the page to the section Casual attire and Formal attire - or - download a new copy of the answer book or I can attach a PDF

We are obviously looking at two different places.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

I'm reading from the Princess web site under "Packing For Your Cruise"

In that section you'll see "Learn More on What To Pack for a cruise"

This is where it gives the information which you don't seem to agree with. If you don't like what they print, then dress as formally as your prefer.

It's your choice.

All I know is that it works for me and many others- all the time.

We are obviously looking at two different places.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

I'm reading from the Princess web site under "Packing For Your Cruise"

In that section you'll see "Learn More on What To Pack for a cruise"

This is where it gives the information which you don't seem to agree with. If you don't like what they print, then dress as formally as your prefer.

It's your choice.

All I know is that it works for me and many others- all the time.

in the same link please read the section "clothing reccomendations"

and it will spell out in words you can understand just what I originally posted - thank you - someday it may not work all the time and I hope I am there to witness it

Edited by elfinmagic
content