Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

what other people think of me is none of my business!!

Totally agree, probably less than half a dozen people on earth whose opinion of me matters.

Sure what Mrs Gut thinks counts, but she is silly enough to love me unconditionally, after that well..... who cares???

what other people think of me is none of my business!!

I am afraid I am going to have to give you a tux, I have several in different sizes, your choice

yes, an item of clothing, thrust into your hands when you least expect it..........

I never did find in this thread any real explanation (or picture) of what the guayabera shirt is about. In many countries--Cuba, Philippines, Mexico, all over the Caribbean and central America, the guayabera shirt is not only acceptable formal wear but indeed is expected, and in the case of Cuba, in 2010, Cuba declared the guayabera to be its "official formal dress garment". It is even called a wedding shirt. I suppose this picture could push some people over the edge--after all, the people here do not conform to the norteamericano image of acceptability in the MDR on formal nights. I know it's hard to take--so many tuxedo fanatics frothing at the mouth over it--but the world includes much more than what is just beyond our noses. And since Princess sells itself as a cruise line for the world--

THE-CREW.jpg

3541a2fbad67ac20b4c1c3165900f05f.jpg

This now is my formal dress in the MDR. Living in a city with 60% Hispanic where Spanish is just as frequent as English, many wear this to formal events. I find it quite comfortable. It is also known as a wedding shirt here.

With maybe 10% of men wearing tux these days in the MDR, it is amazing how the fashion police on cc swear by it. One thing I have noted of late is that more and more men are wearing suits with no tie. Interesting trend.

I never did find in this thread any real explanation (or picture) of what the guayabera shirt is about. In many countries--Cuba, Philippines, Mexico, all over the Caribbean and central America, the guayabera shirt is not only acceptable formal wear but indeed is expected, and in the case of Cuba, in 2010, Cuba declared the guayabera to be its "official formal dress garment". It is even called a wedding shirt. I suppose this picture could push some people over the edge--after all, the people here do not conform to the norteamericano image of acceptability in the MDR on formal nights. I know it's hard to take--so many tuxedo fanatics frothing at the mouth over it--but the world includes much more than what is just beyond our noses. And since Princess sells itself as a cruise line for the world--

THE-CREW.jpg

3541a2fbad67ac20b4c1c3165900f05f.jpg

I like these shirts.

Many men wore those type of shirts in Spain during Franco's era. Reminds me of living in a dictatorship.

Yes.

I like those shirts too and wear them as well. I just don't on formal night.

Funny how the OP asked a legit question about wanting to dress up for their cruise and got railroaded. :rolleyes:

Good that CC is made up of only 14 of these railroading posters.

OP dress up how you want and enjoy your cruise. :)

Yes.

Funny how the OP asked a legit question about wanting to dress up for their cruise and got railroaded. :rolleyes:

Actually the OP was finished and happy by Post #22 & #23.

The thread was quiet by end of June, and then an innocuous post (#116) earlier this month launched a whole new set of posts and it isn't the OP who has been getting railroaded - it's the few who want to push their concept of a dress code - whatever it might be - on everyone else.

May I refer you again to my post #140 above? Here are some excerpts:

The thing is, it would be nice if folks would post what they like to do and enjoy and then stop there and not judge or harass others about their preferences. But then one or more fans of formal and/or one or more fans of smart casual make a testy remark and then it gets people up in arms and at each other.

I appreciate the formal fans who are not offended by those who are not inclined to dress to the nines. And the less formal fans who are similarly not offended at seeing a tux. I do think around 99% at least posting on these threads support no shorts and t-shirts or raggedy this or that in the DR. Princess documents to consider wearing what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home. And they do state what is definitely not permitted - and I don't recall any arguments over that. The rest are suggestions or guides and not requirements.

While criticisms and put-downs fly both ways, it seems that, going by CC Posters, the smart casual fans are more tolerant of the formal dressers (bring it on; enjoy yourselves; dress as you like) than the reverse as SOME - not ALL - of that crowd would like to have enforcement for all to dress the way they do.

I think there is room and acceptance on Princess for a range of attire and I think folks should do as they enjoy and not worry about the rest of it. No matter what happens to the written dress policy, no one is going to turn away a couple dressed up for an occasion.

Your post implies that the railroaders are the cruisers who prefer not to go full-on formal if they are not so inclined. Any reasonable reading of many posts by some formal fans also includes railroading of their preference. As I have posited, and I repeat: There is room and acceptance on Princess for a range of attire choices and I think folks should do as they enjoy and respect choices made by others as hopefully they respect yours.

That is a matter of opinion. You have yours and other people have theirs.

Pushing your opinions on the general forum is one thing but doing it on roll calls is not a good idea though. Sometimes the least said the better on roll calls as you may meet others face to face, specially on a smaller ship when its really going to happen.

And of course people do tend to tie up a name on the general forum with one on the RollCall specially if its a little memorable.

IMO- Stating opinions on roll calls is no different than any other forum as long as you don't want to hide yourself from others. I actually enjoy meeting in person others of opposite opinions than myself.

It makes for interesting discussions. :)

Yes.

Looking through all of the posts it seems the dress up formal people outnumber the non-dress up posters by a large margin -like about 90% dress up formal as opposed to 10% or less do not

Looking through all of the posts it seems the dress up formal people outnumber the non-dress up posters by a large margin -like about 90% dress up formal as opposed to 10% or less do not

It really doesn't make much difference how people choose to dress.

What is important is that they know there is a choice and not that that are required to follow the formal crowd.

It really doesn't make much difference how people choose to dress.

What is important is that they know there is a choice and not that that are required to follow the formal crowd.

Please be advised - you will not bait me into a confrontation - you know what thee answer book states and I know that the MDR captains often do not follow it - but I still see at least 90% in the MDR dressed according to the published code - last comment - have a nice day - I hope you did not get any major damage from Irma.

This isn't a contest. Go ahead and dress up, nobody is stopping you. Nobody is threatening to run to the maitre D to have you removed because you are wearing a tux. But please don't suggest that everyone needs to wear a uniform and march in straight lines just because you do.

Be tolerant of others and remember that formal night is just a recommendation (and a marketing ploy by the ship to sell pictures).

Celebrity changed to Chic versus Formal Nights in 2015. Chic is essentially smart casual required formal allowed. A poll was conducted on CC to assess the reaction of Celebrity cruisers to this change. Over 1000 responded. The results:

A move forward: 616

Hated the idea: 300

Don't care: 136

Now, you may argue that this is only representative of Cruise Critic passengers who sail on Celebrity. However, Celebrity isn't very different from Princess and it's a fairly good bet that CC passengers would tend more to traditional cruising, ie, formal nights, than the general public.

Less than 30% preferred formal nights. IOW, formal nights are not as popular as many insist.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278817&highlight=formal+poll

Please be advised - you will not bait me into a confrontation - you know what thee answer book states and I know that the MDR captains often do not follow it - but I still see at least 90% in the MDR dressed according to the published code - last comment - have a nice day - I hope you did not get any major damage from Irma.

'Compliance' with a rule isn't the same thing as approving of a rule. Many go along with rules regardless of whether they agree with the rule or not. Of course, there are many who like rules much more than they like the uncertainty of freedom.

This isn't a contest. Go ahead and dress up, nobody is stopping you. Nobody is threatening to run to the maitre D to have you removed because you are wearing a tux. But please don't suggest that everyone needs to wear a uniform and march in straight lines just because you do.

Be tolerant of others and remember that formal night is just a recommendation (and a marketing ploy by the ship to sell pictures).

Very well-said!

A marketing ploy! I never knew that. I simply dress in formal attire to compliment my wife who loves dressing up. It's a great ploy of mine for later too!!!!!

A marketing ploy! I never knew that. I simply dress in formal attire to compliment my wife who loves dressing up. It's a great ploy of mine for later too!!!!!

Hahaha, I know right.

Some do like to dress up contrary to what the whiners agenda says.

Its only the 9 people here on CC anyway that worry about what others wear and push the G shirts on formal night. :rolleyes:

This is hilarious............

Hahaha, I know right.

Its only the 9 people here on CC anyway that worry about what others wear and push the G shirts on formal night. :rolleyes:

Not whiners Colo - they are liberals who honestly believe that if they tell an untruth enough times it will become the truth. We have early dining and are through before the rest leave - I have seen more than 90% in tuxes or dark suits - now about you?

Hahaha, I know right.

Simply untrue - there are plenty of formal fans who worry about what others wear and push their choice - lots of posts on that. Why can't folks choose their dress for themselves and not for the rest of the ship? I don't think all the bickering is hilarious at all. I know you enjoy formal dress and that's great.

Not whiners Colo - they are liberals who honestly believe that if they tell an untruth enough times it will become the truth. We have early dining and are through before the rest leave - I have seen more than 90% in tuxes or dark suits - now about you?

To what untruths do you refer? Perhaps that 90% of men are dressed the way you state? Not that I would argue you have never seen that at some time in some DR. I have been on many Caribbean cruises with Princess and never seen that level. Last time I saw that was on Celebrity in 2000.

BTW, I am not a whiner, nor a liberal (but let's leave politics out of CC), and I prefer not to dress up to tuxedo and dark suit level, but very much respect the right of those to do so who like and enjoy that. Most look well turned out.

Simply untrue - there are plenty of formal fans who worry about what others wear and push their choice - lots of posts on that. Why can't folks choose their dress for themselves and not for the rest of the ship? I don't think all the bickering is hilarious at all. I know you enjoy formal dress and that's great.

All the formal threads are made up fashion police who run to the maitre d when people who aren't dressed to their liking walk into the dining room. Somehow it changes the taste of their food or ruins their overall vacation experience, but I don't know how or why.

I just think that a lot of these people just like to complain.

No one is trying to bait you but people should know what is & isn't required on Princess ships.

I guess you still can't comprehend what Princess allows & doesn't allow but as long a everyone else knows that's the important thing.

Dress up if you like or dress down & Princess will still accept it. At the very least on formal night people can wear a shirt & slacks and not the suit or jacket & tie pushed by the formalists in the group.

Please show where anyone has told an untruth when it comes to formal night dress. And that all are liberals.

By the way what does CEO Jan Swartz have to say on the subject?