Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

I would like some of the dress down posters would tell Princess their answer book is wrong when it defines formal wear obligations (obligations are not suggested)

You won't find the word 'obligation' in the Answer Book or FAQ's. But then you knew that, right? :*

I thought you were the one complaining about posting untruths at #168 above?

(I am not pushing an agenda or values on anyone else. I would just like all posters to keep to truth in facts and be courteous in respect of what others choose to wear to dinner).

Edited by steelers36

Ohhhh good grief!!!! The debate rages on.

to the OP, and any others....

OF COARSE you can dress up.

Our first Princess Cruise was a rare 'shortie', which tend to be much more casual in dress and passenger demographic.

Well, on my first Princess cruise, I was dressing up!!! Had a black dress with sparkle sequins!

The only feedback I got was very happy and positive.

Like "you GO girl!!!!"

You won't find the word 'obligation' in the Answer Book or FAQ's. But then you knew that, right? :*

I thought you were the one complaining about posting untruths at #168 above?

(I am not pushing an agenda or values on anyone else. I would just like all posters to keep to truth in facts and be courteous in respect of what others choose to wear to dinner).

Darn you are right - it says please observe the formal dress code - I guess that means you only have to observe or look at it and not abide by it, but then, it doesn't say suggested either??? I'm confused

Edited by elfinmagic

Darn you are right - it says please observe the formal dress code - I guess that means you only have to observe or look at it and not abide by it, but then, it doesn't say suggested either??? I'm confused

I can see you get confused as soon as there's a calcification of their dress code in another location on the web site.

So I'll post it again for you to read.

On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop.

In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

Don't forget your galoshes. :D:p

I can see you get confused as soon as there's a calcification of their dress code in another location on the web site.

So I'll post it again for you to read.

On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop.

In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

Don't forget your galoshes. :D:p

Once again you did not read the next paragraph which deals with dining room dress - Please read and post it please

Once again you did not read the next paragraph which deals with dining room dress - Please read and post it please

Instead of multiple postings of excerpts, sometimes not in context, why not just post a link to the entire piece of information? The entire set of statements and paragraphs is headed by a title "Clothing Recommendations" in both the Cruise Answer Book and FAQ's. It's there for anyone to read so no need for endless postings of selected or redacted excerpts.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Instead of multiple postings of excerpts, sometimes not in context, why not just post a link to the entire piece of information? The entire set of statements and paragraphs is headed by a title "Clothing Recommendations" in both the Cruise Answer Book and FAQ's. It's there for anyone to read so no need for endless postings of selected or redacted excerpts.

It has been posted several times but some folks tend to stop reading when they see what they want to see

Just read it and at the bottom of the section it has a code for formal and casual to be "observed"

I'm cruising with my nephews. They can't wait to wear tuxes for dinner. I ALWAYS dress for formal nights! It's such a pleasure. And I've never noticed people who didn't dress. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You Sir are with the majority on this thread and I applaud you! Interlochen - you must be from Michigan?

You Sir are with the majority on this thread and I applaud you! Interlochen - you must be from Michigan?

Yes, happily in Interlochen, Michigan. Moved here 15 years ago from San Diego. Been back, but never again! And you may call me Victoria! Been to Interlochen?

Yes, happily in Interlochen, Michigan. Moved here 15 years ago from San Diego. Been back, but never again! And you may call me Victoria! Been to Interlochen?

Sorry Victoria - after I posted I thought to myself - maybe he is a she. Yes we have been through Interlochen - DW and would often travel up that way in the summer for garden walks - she is a master gardener.

Sorry Victoria - after I posted I thought to myself - maybe he is a she. Yes we have been through Interlochen - DW and would often travel up that way in the summer for garden walks - she is a master gardener.

No problem! Next time you come this way contact me and you can stay with us on Green Lake. We're booked on the Grand, SF roundup to Mexico. Have done this itinerary 3 times! But nephew is from Oregon and never been on a cruise! Leaving September 25. You?

Yes you are. And prove it everytime you post.

I wonder if Princess staff has read those oft quoted pages that some insist all MUST follow. Seems they haven't as they are not enforcing them strictly as written. Then when it is brought to their attention even as high as the CEI Jan Swartz they do not change or comment. Guess those pushing a strict dress code do not see that their postings, letters and insistence to do things their way actually has been answered. In a corporate business way they are telling them "NO" and they are not changing. Post all they want on the Internet but they have been answered. Corporate will leave it the way it is. Sorry but you are the loser on this agenda.

I wonder if Princess staff has read those oft quoted pages that some insist all MUST follow. Seems they haven't as they are not enforcing them strictly as written. Then when it is brought to their attention even as high as the CEI Jan Swartz they do not change or comment. Guess those pushing a strict dress code do not see that their postings, letters and insistence to do things their way actually has been answered. In a corporate business way they are telling them "NO" and they are not changing. Post all they want on the Internet but they have been answered. Corporate will leave it the way it is. Sorry but you are the loser on this agenda.

It is the free enterprise way of saying we don't care what you think as all we are interested is the bottom line on the financial report. Princess is not about to enforce these rules since the majority refuse to obey them.

You just can't seem to grasp the idea that Princess allows people to dress down on formal nights & still eat in the dining room. Even with being pointed to the explicit comment as to what minimum dress requirements are acceptable for both men & women. "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

The few of us commenting in this thread are aware of it as many other people on the ship are.

So can you answer why that is?

Just read it and at the bottom of the section it has a code for formal and casual to be "observed"

Observed can be interpreted in two ways and unless it says "required" I'll be observing others.....maybe even yourself next March. See you there. ;)

you just can't seem to grasp the idea that princess allows people to dress down on formal nights & still eat in the dining room. Even with being pointed to the explicit comment as to what minimum dress requirements are acceptable for both men & women. "for more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

the few of us commenting in this thread are aware of it as many other people on the ship are.

so can you answer why that is?

observed can be interpreted in two ways and unless it says "required" i'll be observing others.....maybe even yourself next march. See you there. ;)

i don't think so!!!