No more Queen beds for Princess except in suites?

Vanctraveller

I really doubt that they would be lugging heavy mattresses to and from storage rooms to staterooms every time someone wanted a different configuration than the last passenger. That would be hard on the mattresses and hard on the cabin crew. It has always been two mattresses pushed together on every cruise I have ever taken, regardless of the cruise line. Not sure where the OP got the idea that mattresses were changed out. It just doesn't happen.

Last year my DH had to work and could not go on the cruise last minute so I took my brother instead. We got in the room A751 on the Crown and the beds were together, of course.

He saw that and said he would sleep on the sofa. I told him, I would just have the steward fix it while we were at dinner.

My brother actually thought the steward had to pick up that big bed and drag it down the hallway and then bring in two twin beds. He was shocked when I told him it takes like a few minutes to separate them. :D

Thanks to all who posted providing so much intel on past experience.

Update to my original post initiating this thread - heard from Princess Customer Service today who said all Queen configurations will just be two twins pushed together without a switch to a queen mattress and that this applies to all cruises, not just the ones in the Mediterranean.

I got the idea that the mattresses were switched out as I never noticed a ridge before on Princess cruises and complained to my cruise agent (with Expedia CruiseshipCenters) after a Holland America cruise that HAL just pushed two twins together and left a ridge. I asked the steward to fix several times and the ridge remained (so obviously no Queen sized topper was available to be added). My cruise agent told me HAL was just being lazy and that they should have switched to a Queen mattress when preparing the cabin on the changeover.

Also, notwithstanding the photos showing two twins pushed together without a change of the mattress on top of the box bottoms, the answer from the Hotel Manager on the Majestic Princess did specify that Queen mattresses would have been provided for suites.

From the photos, I can see how a topper may have been used to remove the presence of the ridge so if toppers are the solution, it appears Princess used to provide toppers up until last year and no longer provides toppers.

Bottom-line for future Princess cruisers, ridge-less Queen beds seem a thing of the past unless you are in a suite.

My cruise agent told me HAL was just being lazy and that they should have switched to a Queen mattress when preparing the cabin on the changeover.

You need to find a travel agent who actually knows more about cruise ships.

From the photos, I can see how a topper may have been used to remove the presence of the ridge so if toppers are the solution, it appears Princess used to provide toppers up until last year and no longer provides toppers.

Bottom-line for future Princess cruisers, ridge-less Queen beds seem a thing of the past unless you are in a suite.

I have never had a topper automatically on any cruise line when the twins have been pushed together to make a queen.

see above in red

I just recently sailed on Majestic Princess as a single in a mini suite, and had the bed configured as a queen. Yes, two twins pushed together, but a brand new ship with brand new mattresses, and the newer Princess Luxury Bed with the memory foam topper, it was extremely comfortable and spacious. No complaints!

The first picture I posted was in D631, on the Coral from February 2016. This was the second cruise after the dry dock and I was out to get all the details I could about the changes. We did not request a topper, as this is the way they automatically set it up. These mattresses were new and put on during dry dock as I checked the tag, showing is was manufactured in January 2016.

Since at that time, it was still unknown if all the beds were replaced, I asked the room steward if the room next door had been replaced yet, since he was cleaning it. This was a balcony room, D629, and he said they had been replaced, but they did not put this shown topper on non-suite rooms.

I don't think this topper is the egg crate that others reference as never ask nor had one on any of our cruises. This topper a solid piece of foam, about 1.5 unches thick, inside the cover.

25044103876_3ff83441d5_z.jpgZ39 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The second picture was this past February in the WIndow Suite F305, on the Caribbean Princess. The mattresses looked new, although they were different from those on the Coral. There is the other long thread about this specific room, being remodeled a few years go, due to the condition, so may have been replaced at that time.

This did not have the same topper as the one on the Coral, and only had, from what I recall and in looking back at the picture, just a mattress pad. There was nothing between the two and we never felt the problem with the gap in that bed, we had felt years ago with some of the other ships.

Since the Caribbean just went through dry dock, there may be something different in there now. We found both setups to be comfortable to us.

The sizing of these mattresses don't appear to be exactly standard. Depending on where you look, mattresses sizes will vary. This is from the Sleep Experts and matches several other places I looked at.

Twin Mattress 39" wide x 75" long

Full Mattress 54" wide x 75" long

Queen Mattress 60" wide x 80" long

King Mattress 76" wide x 80" long

Going back specifically to those in D631 on the Coral, a single mattress is 33.5 x 77 inches. Not exactly the standard twin size mattress.

When you slide the two together, it felt larger than a Queen, but not as big as a King. It falls in the middle of the two sizes at 67 x 77 inches.

And no, I am not guessing at the mattress size :D

25044104276_3e3e2d1d2e_z.jpgZ40 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Add one more...California or Western King is 72" wide & 84" long (we grow them TALL out here in the west!).

Add one more...California or Western King is 72" wide & 84" long (we grow them TALL out here in the west!).

There is also longer versions of the full & twin, according to them too. I just left those out

Twin Extra Long Mattress 39" wide x 80" long

Full Extra Long Mattress 54" wide x 80" long

California/Western King Mattress 72" wide x 84" long

I checked the Princess WEB site, where you can buy them, and while it looks like most all the ships are twins, slid together they don't sell it in a twin. You can only buy it in a Queen or Standard/Eastern King size.

We are sailing on the Sun Princess in late August in a Balcony. I knew we had requested a Queen Bed and had confirmation but I just checked the details in Cruise Personaliser and it shows "Bed Configuration: Non Convert. Queen". It will be interesting to see if it is a true Queen or two singles pushed together. In the past it's always been 2 singles but we weren't bothered by the ridge.

That is interesting. I'm interested to see what that ends up meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Sun Princess in late August in a Balcony. I knew we had requested a Queen Bed and had confirmation but I just checked the details in Cruise Personaliser and it shows "Bed Configuration: Non Convert. Queen". It will be interesting to see if it is a true Queen or two singles pushed together. In the past it's always been 2 singles but we weren't bothered by the ridge.

In my experience a non convert was a queen.