OBC called Travel Agent Group Promotion

mthomp5

Whenever I've booked cruises directly with a TA, I've been given an OBC called Travel Agent Group Promotion for $25 for each passenger. We haven't recived this when we book directly through Princess.

Recently, I made two cruise bookings directly through Princess and then had them transferred to two different TAs. After the transfer, I expected to see the Travel Agent Group Promotion in Cruise Personalizer but I didn't see it for either cruise.

I called one of the TAs and I was told that because I booked originally with Princess, the booking transfers over as is and so I don't get that OBC. But he was nice to call Princess and ask if we could get it and Princess said yes. So we got it in this case.

I didn't bother with the request with the 2nd TA since I ended up canceling that bookimg.

So now I'm wondering if I book directly with Princess and later transfer to a TA, will I normally have to forego the Travel Agent Group Promotion OBC unless I ask and am lucky for Princess to approve it?

no, you would still get it on a transferred booking as long as your rate code is combinable with the group.

the thing to keep in mind is that TAs will not have a group taken out on every single sailing, so if they don't have a group, you don't get the group amenity.

you can ask your TA if they have a group taken out on it, or if it's far enough in advance, they may be able to create a group around your booking.

no, you would still get it on a transferred booking as long as your rate code is combinable with the group.

the thing to keep in mind is that TAs will not have a group taken out on every single sailing, so if they don't have a group, you don't get the group amenity.

you can ask your TA if they have a group taken out on it, or if it's far enough in advance, they may be able to create a group around your booking.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I will be sure to ask if they have a group that my booking can be transferred into so I can get that OBC...before I make the transfer.

As long as the TA's company has taken out Group space, your promo code you're booking under is compatible with Groups (most are) and it's before final payment when you transfer the booking, you should get it. FYI - There are usually only 2 Groups per ship per month and the OBC amounts will vary depending on length of the cruise and the sailing.

As long as the TA's company has taken out Group space, your promo code you're booking under is compatible with Groups (most are) and it's before final payment when you transfer the booking, you should get it. FYI - There are usually only 2 Groups per ship per month and the OBC amounts will vary depending on length of the cruise and the sailing.

Thank you for the additional information!

I've gotten OBC from all the TAs that I've used (3 or 4) for every cruise I've taken (23)...and I almost always book with Princess and transfer to a TA later.

This was the first time I booked with princess and then transferred to TA. Whenever I booked directly with TA, I got this OBC so I was confused when I didn't get it when I did it this way. Next time I will ask before I transfer to make sure.

Wouldn't it be easier if you just book directly with your TA instead of Princess and avoid this OBC problem?

Maybe. I am still in search of the perfect TA (there's a separate thread on that topic :)). I had read on this forum of people booking with the cruise line and then looking for a good fare with a good TA before final payment. First time trying that out for me. Didn't realize the OBC thing would be a problem. I figured it'd be automatic.

That TA Group Promotion OBC comes from Group Amenity Points

that their Blocked Group Space on a particular sailing , has to use for such goodies .

Even the largest cruise Agencies don't have Group Space on every sailing . If they do have a group on the sailing that you are transferring , it should automatically be applied .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

that their Blocked Group Space on a particular sailing , has to use for such goodies .

Even the largest cruise Agencies don't have Group Space on every sailing . If they do have a group on the sailing that you are transferring , it should automatically be applied .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the insight! That is really interesting info to know that even the largest agencies don't have group space on every sailing. That makes sense now. One of the TAs said they had a block of cabins (or something like that) for one week but not the week prior. And when I booked for the week they did have a block of cabins, I did get the Group Promotion OBC.

The amenity points can be used by the TA to give a perk to the passenger. Depending on the number of amenity points available and what the TA chooses as a perk, it can be OBC, a specialty dinner, a bottle of wine, etc.

However, the amenity points can instead be used by the TA for an increased commission. Not all TAs will use the amenity points for the benefit of the passenger.

So before booking with or transferring a booking to a TA, ask what perks, if any, the TA is offering.